EVH Wolfgang Special #2 - SAME ISSUES!

napalmdeath

I'm convinced that these Floyd Roses are garbage!

The first one, the bridge was actually pulling out from the body, which was obviously a flaw. It would not return to pitch, and after any sort of diving, it would come back sharp. Not a little, ALOT. After dialing it in, tightening down the lock nuts, it also went way sharp on the low E, A, and D, just tightening the lock nuts. Again, not a little, ALOT.

I got a replacement yesterday, elected to leave the 009's on it, and it does the same thing. It pisses me off to no end. I have owned MANY guitars with Floyds, and never had an issue setting them up. My Schecter has no problems, and, in fact, works flawlessly. Granted, it's a higher end World Music Korean Schecter, and the Floyd is undoubtedly better quality, but I don't get it. Are these Wolfgang Floyds THAT shitty? Do I look at upgrading maybe the bridge pins? Nut? WTF is going on? I've got it set up perfectly. But, this thing wants to go out of tune majorly, after any sort of tremolo use. Not just a little, ALOT. The way it plays and sounds, (and looks), I'd like to correct these issues, but feel like short of spending $200 for a better Floyd, I'm at a loss for words here, and scratching my head!

That’s whack
My special is rock solid for tuning
I assume you know about stretch tuning and basic setup
Wish I knew more to help diagnose

You might want to check the screws that hold the nut on the back of the neck. I remember someone complaining about this before and it turned out the screws were too long.

sutepaj":3aoz8jze said:
You might want to check the screws that hold the nut on the back of the neck. I remember someone complaining about this before and it turned out the screws were too long.

They don't seem to be, but, here's the thing.. After tuning up, locking down the nut, using the whammy, it goes way sharp. Unlock the nut, it goes back to pitch. WTF?

crankyrayhanky":9lghtg7i said:
I assume you know about stretch tuning and basic setup

Of course. Like I said, my Schecter is rock solid, and full floater. The Wolfgang should be simpler, and easier yet.

What year is yours? I wonder if something's changed in these 2018's. Namely cheaper parts.

My local mom and pop actually has the red matte with maple board on a trade in. I played it this morning through a Budda (model/vyper) thing just ripped man and never left tune, within reason of course.

My Charvel lost tune on dives, sharp. It was always in the intonation, saddles and screws. But I’m at a loss as to why yours is whacking out. Sorry for ya dude.

I will say the color scheme you’ve got is probably my next guitar purchase. Just can’t get it out t of my head.

Hope you get it figured out !

MrDowntown":n38zf436 said:
My local mom and pop actually has the red matte with maple board on a trade in. I played it this morning through a Buddha (model/vyper) thing just ripped man and never left tune, within reason of course.

My Charvel lost tune on dives, sharp. It was always in the intonation, saddles and screws. But I’m at a loss as to why yours is whacking out. Sorry for ya dude.

I will say the color scheme you’ve got is probably my next guitar purchase. Just can’t get it out t of my head.

Hope you get it figured out !

You can have this one cheap!

It'd be cool if that did the trick...for no moneizes at all.

I know very little about, what I'd consider, really invasive setups. But...I saw I guy on YT took the nut off, which had shims, removed those and in turn adjusted the bridge height, the term claw screws, shimmed the neck...it looked like a lot for a brand new guitar...but he swore the WG Special needed it to make it a top, and stable player. His reasons could be completely unrelated to what you have going on.

MrDowntown":3o1r7w0g said:
It'd be cool if that did the trick...for no moneizes at all.

I know very little about, what I'd consider, really invasive setups. But...I saw I guy on YT took the nut off, which had shims, removed those and in turn adjusted the bridge height, the term claw screws, shimmed the neck...it looked like a lot for a brand new guitar...but he swore the WG Special needed it to make it a top, and stable player. His reasons could be completely unrelated to what you have going on.

I solved the problem. I boxed it up and sent it back!
I'll get an ESP or another Schecter.

that's strange to hear of that problem. I have owned tons of wolfgang's and still own 5 or 6. I know that the bass side of the trem needs to be touching the body when in rest. some will raise the bass side and lower the treble side, but if the bass side of the plate isn't make direct contact you will have non stop tuning issues. I am abusive as hell with my wolfgang's and have honestly never had the issues you describe. I don't doubt that you are having them, I just am not sure why the guitars are being so finicky. strange indeed. sucks too because I have been contemplating that exact same model

MYLILSS":1eyj3jq7 said:
that's strange to hear of that problem. I have owned tons of wolfgang's and still own 5 or 6. I know that the bass side of the trem needs to be touching the body when in rest. some will raise the bass side and lower the treble side, but if the bass side of the plate isn't make direct contact you will have non stop tuning issues. I am abusive as hell with my wolfgang's and have honestly never had the issues you describe. I don't doubt that you are having them, I just am not sure why the guitars are being so finicky. strange indeed. sucks too because I have been contemplating that exact same model

I can assure everything was stable. I have to say, it's one of the cheapest Licensed Floyds I've ever dealt with. Very poor quality. I'm guessing cheap bridge studs and cheap steel on the knife edges. And, over all, not a good value at $999. No way I'd do it again. Way overpriced.

People can say what they will, but for $1000, and no case, shimming, upgrading, and sinking a bunch of money into it is ridiculous. I paid $345 for my Schecter with a case, and it's lightyears ahead of the Wolgang, fit, finish, quality, playability, etc. The last Charvel I bought was a piece of shit too. No more Fender MIM for me.

You mentioned never having problems before, so obviously you are used to floyds. With that said, new strings and floyds do crazy thing until the strings are properly stretched.

I don't see in your post, but is the bridge set to float, or is it flat to the body? If it floats, what happens when you pull sharp on the trem? If it's flat, try unlocking the nut and see what happens to the strings, try to isolate the issue.

The usual problem area isn't the nut, it's the edge where the trem meets the bridge posts, they are either dulled (doubtful on a new guitar), or not aligned correctly. The trem sticks when it goes down or doesn't return to the center, thus pulling the guitar out of tune. Are the bridge post heights set the same? If you have the treble strings right down on the fret board, but the bass strings higher up, you're going to get tuning issues.

napalmdeath":3mqgrsen said:
MYLILSS":3mqgrsen said:

I can assure everything was stable. I have to say, it's one of the cheapest Licensed Floyds I've ever dealt with. Very poor quality. I'm guessing cheap bridge studs and cheap steel on the knife edges. And, over all, not a good value at $999. No way I'd do it again. Way overpriced.

People can say what they will, but for $1000, and no case, shimming, upgrading, and sinking a bunch of money into it is ridiculous. I paid $345 for my Schecter with a case, and it's lightyears ahead of the Wolgang, fit, finish, quality, playability, etc. The last Charvel I bought was a piece of shit too. No more Fender MIM for me.

I know some here swear by the MIM charvels but I have never played a fender/charvel that came from Mexico that didn't feel like a cheaply made guitar.

splatter":37xozt2z said:
napalmdeath":37xozt2z said:
MYLILSS":37xozt2z said:

I know some here swear by the MIM charvels but I have never played a fender/charvel that came from Mexico that didn't feel like a cheaply made guitar.

Yep. Same here. The paintjob on the Wolfgang was pretty, but the bridge was absolute garbage.

Hate your having a bunch of issues lately with guitars and not picking a fight but buy better quality guitars. There is a reason these guitars are lower cost.

mixn4him":2l0i8ivb said:
Hate your having a bunch of issues lately with guitars and not picking a fight but buy better quality guitars. There is a reason these guitars are lower cost.

No, it's not the cost, it's the BRAND. $1000 buys good quality. I plan to buy another Schecter.

I've spent $2000 on Gibsons that were shit, too.

Had a MIM Charvel and it was like a cheap toy next to my Custom Shop Charvel. I've seen others say that the MIM's were on par with USA made Charvels, but that was far from my experience with them.

Back