audio interfaces

RME UFX
Older now but still kills. Low latency via USB & stable
Have the remote, handy in the studio for dealing with multiple monitors and headphone feeds.
Been using RME stuff for a while., clean natural sound. Not hyped.
Highly recommended.

At home I use a roland/edirol m16dx, 16 channels 24/96. Only has 4 mic pres the rest are handled as stereo trs by the breakout mixing console, but can be recorded individually in your DAW. Only down side it it only has 2 outs. So if you want to route any external effects your out of luck. It's an older unit but still well supported by roland with windows 10 drivers.

On the road I use apogee's one. If traveling get a hard case for the small Bose bluetooth speaker. It fits perfectly in the top mesh and all the cables can go in the bottom. The official case from apogee supposedly sucks.

I'm still using a Mackie onyx 1620i firewire, but it's been in the shop for over a month..so I may be looking for a new one too.

Apogee Ensemble, its been fantastic so far. The internal mic pre's are actually great if you need super clean and transparent, but you can bypass the internal pre's and run whatever mic pre's you like if you want to. We are using 2 of the internal pre's and 6 outboard units. Got killer convertors in it, runs on Thunderbolt so its super fast with near zero latency. You can easily reamp guitar tracks with it (I haven't done any revamping yet) And it has outboard effects loops on the first 2 channels. Really nice, usable layout, but the best thing is the sound quality, its amazing. Blows my prior setup into the weeds!

I'm also running a Roland Rubix and before that a Roland quadcapture. Roland has always been pretty good about drivers and latency especially with Windows & usb products. If I were running a mac i'd probably opt for something thunderbolt-ish. Best of luck!

CEG85":18jc47nj said:
Audient id22, great little interface but want to upgrade to an RME later on

have an id22 too, great interface, hope audient come with a rack unit soon

Was using a Focusrite Forte but it crapped out after 5 years.

Apogee Duet incoming, I only record guitars and bass so no need for a massive amount of inputs.

Thanks guys.

I need something with enough inputs to record drums with a minimum of a kick, snare, and two overheads. The Apogee Element seems like a good option. Will mostly use external mic pre's.

Ed

Back