Inside of the Adam Jones silverburst

stephen sawall":clw2n2jy said:
If I remember correct Dave Friedman said Adam's Marshall is bias at 25.
yes, but I have a 50w with 450 plate voltage.
100 watters often have higher plate voltage, which corresponds to lower miliamp setting for the bias.

marcus262":2inwk9k5 said:
stephen sawall":2inwk9k5 said:
100 watters often have higher plate voltage, which corresponds to lower miliamp setting for the bias.

Yeah yours should be around 28ma @450 to match 25ma @500

CrazyNutz":1uau85e9 said:
marcus262":1uau85e9 said:
stephen sawall":1uau85e9 said:

You know trying to nail the tone of a 100 watt amp with a 50 watter just doesn't work, sorry.

Not bashing 50 watters as my main and favorite amp is a 50 watter. I did try to have a 100 watt version made of that amp and it didn't really work to well.

It works both ways.

EXPcustom":2f2xs27g said:
CrazyNutz":2f2xs27g said:
marcus262":2f2xs27g said:
stephen sawall":2f2xs27g said:

You know trying to nail the tone of a 100 watt amp with a 50 watter just doesn't work, sorry.

Not bashing 50 watters as my main and favorite amp is a 50 watter. I did try to have a 100 watt version made of that amp and it didn't really work to well.

It works both ways.

I love 50-watters. They sound more pissed off.

so is there any story behind that note about not changing out the pot without Adam's consent?

Did someone do it without telling him, and get fired? :D

Going from those replacement dates those 'expensive' pots don't seem to last that long.
Accepting that the 05 - 13 period would have been busy with the 10,000 days recording and tour schedule, but around 2013 onwards they were pretty quiet touring and Def not in the damn studio, I'd expect them to last longer for my money.

Philhouse":1vvp4c5n said:
Going from those replacement dates those 'expensive' pots don't seem to last that long.
Accepting that the 05 - 13 period would have been busy with the 10,000 days recording and tour schedule, but around 2013 onwards they were pretty quiet touring and Def not in the damn studio, I'd expect them to last longer for my money.

There are three dates shown. Only one of them indicates which pot was changed. There are three other pots in the guitar.

JimAnsell":okpft891 said:
so is there any story behind that note about not changing out the pot without Adam's consent?

Did someone do it without telling him, and get fired? :D

Let's just say Adam is very particular and anal retentive. It's not that great to work with him unless you and him are on the same page.

FourT6and2":ys6m2ua3 said:
Philhouse":ys6m2ua3 said:

There are three dates shown. Only one of them indicates which pot was changed. There are three other pots in the guitar.

Thanks for the lesson :worship:
The only one that looks to have been changed is the Bridge Vol pot as it has the Alessandro style silver and gold colour, and is the only one to have the Alessandro type solder tabs.
The Bridge Tone pot looks stock, as do the Neck vol and tone pots, with the older style wiper solder tabs, and older solder. I'd still reckon the only one that's been replaced 3 times is the bridge Vol pot.

Here's mine:
OpPBocul.jpg

Yep, you're right. The bridge volume pot is the Alessandro. :)
That still doesn't mean the others were not changed at some point. Just pointing out it's an assumption is all. And sure, if it is the only one that was, six months ain't a long time for a pot. Look at the other pots. The solder joints certainly don't look like factory Gibson work... Plus the added ground wires.

yes, my bias pot is very sensitive, and I don't notice the difference between 28 and 30.
In general what I noticed is that hotter is louder, more bass, kinda fuzzy.
Colder more raw, tighter. clearer. But those are relatively minor differences that i only noticed when flipping a switch between hot and cold bias on a single ended tube amp. I prefer colder or a few miliamps above.

different power and output transformers I guess.

I love 50-watters. They sound more pissed off.
different negative feedback value?
I know a 100w amp has 1.41X more negative feedback than a 50w amp.

So, a 100W amp with 100k on 4 ohm tap would equal a 50W amp with 100K on 8 ohm tap (or 71K resistor on 4 ohm tap)

different negative feedback value?
I know a 100w amp has 1.41X more negative feedback than a 50w amp.

So, a 100W amp with 100k on 4 ohm tap would equal a 50W amp with 100K on 8 ohm tap (or 71K resistor on 4 ohm tap)

Not really talk about just factory amps. In my experience, 50-watt amps in general tend to sound more angry and aggressive than their 100W counterparts. You can use whatever NFB values you want. You can build a 50W amp with 100K on the 4ohm tap if you wanted to or a 100W amp with no NFB at all.

ok, but what makes a 50w sound more aggressive?

The only really difference, as far as I know, are the transformers, nfb, and plate voltage.

marcus262":11z8ioef said:

The only really difference, as far as I know, are the transformers, nfb, and plate voltage.

Power section gets pushed harder.

It's like you try to turn a 100w amp volume past 9 o'clock because it sounds awesome, but you can't because your ears will bleed. Well on a 50w you can push it harder into that sweet spot without going completely deaf.

CrazyNutz":2ucv6s9v said:
marcus262":2ucv6s9v said:

It's like you try to turn a 100w amp volume past 9 o'clock because it sounds awesome, but you can't because your ears will bleed. Well on a 50w you can push it harder into that sweet spot without going completely deaf.
That sounds completely logical and that's what I always thought. But isn't the actual potential dB levels between a 50 and a 100 extremely close? Is there enough of a difference to be able to crank the 50 that much more?

Beyond Black":10nciutr said:
CrazyNutz":10nciutr said:
marcus262":10nciutr said:

That sounds completely logical and that's what I always thought. But isn't the actual potential dB levels between a 50 and a 100 extremely close? Is there enough of a difference to be able to crank the 50 that much more?

Right they are close in levels. However you could push a 50w to around 10 to 10.5 o'clock (perhaps even 11) where you would be at 9 o'clock on the 100w.

Seems like a small step but that really gets the power section heading into that more pissed off territory.

Back