Your favorite amp or amps before and after joining Rig-Talk

EXPcustom

Inspired by the other thread about favorite high gain heads.

So I came into this forum being a pretty big time guitar collector and half ass musician being in my mid to late 20's. All I knew was my Triaxis preamp with my Strategy 400 sounded great because that's what Metallica used. It actually sounds really great even to this day.

Thanks to Rig-Talk I learned about all these other awesome amps and 80's musicians that I had obviously heard of but not really looked into or studied besides their one or two hits from MTV. John Norum is a great example or even Sykes as most people have never heard of him but have heard his riffs and songs.

Anyways I am just curious what was your before or after amp. Meaning you joined Rig-Talk and learned about some amps you have never heard of that totally changed your world.

For me it was Mesa amps or preamps for example also Diezel amps.

After Rig-Talk it was Bogner, Jose Arrendondo, Friedman and Cameron. In fact I now got the last guy living at my house. :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously what has R-T contributed to your life before, after, gear and amp wise?

:rock:

Before RT: Marshall Jubilee, JCM 800

After Rig Talk: Jose, Cameron, Any Modded Marshall, Mesa Dual Racktifier, Anything Fortin or Gower.

Before:
Samsamp PSA-1
ADA
Mesa Triaxis
After:
Hughs & Kettner Access (Found here)
Myasnikov SuperLead (Discovered here)
Mesa Triaxis (Still near and dear to my heart)

Before RT:

ADA MP1, Digitech GSP 21(both with Mosvalve Power amp), '89 2203 stock, DSL 2000 50w. Hamer USA and Ibanez RGs.

After RT: Modded Marshalls, and more modded Marshalls. Soldano, Mesa, VHT, EVH, Wizard. Charvel and Jackson USAs.

RT taught me everything.

I used Crate amps in a death metal band before the internet days (well before I had internet) because that is what a lot of DM bands had in Magazines.

I did get 1 tube amp 6505+ before I joined RT but had no idea what I was doing with it.

Since joining I learned a ton about tone, speakers, tubes, amps, pickups and everything. Can't say what my favorite amp is. Probably the Rev 2 that I sold but RT led me to trying Orange, Diezel, definitely Bogner (thanks Leib10) CAA, Engl. I honestly can't name them all.

Before I got here i had an ENGL Powerball/Marshall KK/Randall V2s and X2s

After...Ultralead/Diezels/KSR/DAR/Peters/FJA and Gutierrez modded stuff

Heard about Cameron and Fortin stuff here,but still have not gotten any.

Before Rig talk, I believe I was using a Mesa Roadster. Just before that I had a Mesa Single Rec combo amp.

After Rig-Talk:
Diezel Einstein
Diezel Herbert
EVH5150
Marshall JVM410HJS
Bogner XTC - pre-2004
Mesa JP-2C Limited (still own! Love it!)
Friedman BE-50 (Still own! Love it even more!)

Again, all this thanks to Rig-Talk! LOL.....kind of thankful for that actually because I have had the opportunity to own and play some amazing amps!

Before: Mesa Boogie DC 5
Vox Valvetronics 120 (Blue series. Whoopy ding)
Egnater Rebel 20

After: EVH 5150
Orange TH30
Bogner Brixton
Evil Robot 1st series
Fryette Power Station
67 Fender Bassman/CM Plexitone (thanks Pete Thorn lol)
Current main gigging amp: Marshall 2555x

Using Bogner cabs thanks to RT gas as well
Shiva 1x12
OS 2x12
Celestion Annys and Creambacks as well

RT has been a huge source for myself. I’m thankful to have discovered the site.

I just want to play a Cameron and a Friedman Naked.

Other than that, I still love the same stuff I was interested in 10 years ago. There were some popular forum amps that had my attention for a year or two such as Baron Custom Amps and I've gotten into Peters since I joined.

With the internet info is way more available.
Consumerism absolutely feeds off reviews and opinions.
Speaking for myself, I used to spend less time screwing with stuff and more time just playing.
I need to stop coming here :doh: ;)
On the positive side there are many small manufacturers who would not have made it without places like rig-talk.

Would we be better off without it ? Well maybe. Maybe not..
Can 99% of the audience tell a difference? .. probably not.
Is the music better? .. no.
For us the few who can tell a difference , there’s better tone because of it.

Before - I had a Marshall JCM and a Mesa TOV because that’s what I saw my guitar heroes use.
JCM800 2205 / Mesa TOV

After - Well it’s hard to go back, after playing Squareheads VH4 back in the early 2000’s , coming from a TOV ( don’t get me wrong it’s a great amp in its own way) it was game over.
Diezel, Wizard, Suhr, Bogner

Pretty much my best / last rig I had before the internet was
ADA-MP1 thru a Peavey power amp and crate 2x12.
It sounded GREAT!! Used it for years.
Fast fwd to now.
After rig talk probably either the Prs Archon
Or the Evh 5153 EL34 100 watt.
Both them Amps crush and can do it all.
:yes:

1959 Langner modified '71 Superlead, that and a original 3 tube ADA MP-1 paired with an older VHT 2150. Nothing came close for years until joining rigtalk and since I would say Mesa Mark amps blindsided me and until recently of course Cameron amps. Mark is a legend for good reason.

‘Let the Aquanet fly .... booze!! .... women....
:LOL: :LOL:
Wish I was playing out these times.
89-2004 I was in the Navy.
But did still jam.
On and off 10 of them
Years were in Japan. Jammed with Akira (Loudness) in rapongi district Tokyo bout 97 some little dive club. We were both there drinking. Not looking to play.
Think the song we jammed was Balls to the Wall (accept).
That was a helluva night. Dude is funny as hell. :LOL: :LOL:
Ya.... the gaijin was having fun. :D

Before:
Line 6, Randall, Crate

After:
Bogner, Diezel, KSR/Rhodes, Engl, etc...
But to be fair, my income increased dramatically which was the main reason.

Nice story Mailman, I spent 6 years in the Navy, stationed in Yokosuka 91-95. Had a band and we’d jam on the street in Harajiku on Sundays a few times. I got drunk with The Offspring at Gas Panic was about my only claim to fame, haha.

stratjacket":2z9qs22n said:
Before:
Line 6, Randall, Crate

After:
Bogner, Diezel, KSR/Rhodes, Engl, etc...
But to be fair, my income increased dramatically which was the main reason.

Nice story Mailman, I spent 6 years in the Navy, stationed in Yokosuka 91-95. Had a band and we’d jam on the street in Harajiku on Sundays a few times. I got drunk with The Offspring at Gas Panic was about my only claim to fame, haha.
Awesome man. Yeah I was in from 91-2004.
10 them years were on and off in Japan.
Yokohama. Sasebo. Okinawa.
But you know the navy. Never sit still too long.
Lot of party nights for sure.
Used to be somewhat fluent in Japanese. Everyone can speak the raising of the glass KOMPAI!!! :LOL: :LOL:
I only remember a few key phrases these days.
Use or lose is the truth.
:yes:

Before: Happy with stock amps and boosting to get what I needed.
Aftwr: Friedman and Bogner but that's long gone and I'm back to stock amps and boosting.

Back