Looking for the right Mesa. Need opinions please

Pwurst67

Looking for help guys from anyone with way more experience with a few mesa’s amps than me. I was going back and forth between a bogner and a Mesa. But I’ve decided I am fully on the mesa camp. The problem is. I want simplicity but I want more gain I believe than a lonestar. I want to have the lonestar big fat warm tone. But I also want to go between Timmons and solo ballad stuff to a fates warning tone as well. Without losing the fat warm tone. Is there a mess out there for me. I want to be a least have 2 switchable channels And a sweet liquid lead tone. Is this to much to ask. Lol I hear clips from the electrodyne. Which sound great. But is it as big and fat as the lonestar. I don’t know if I really need all the buttons etc on the mark series. Please help. Lol thanks for any opinions guys

Thanks for the reply’s fellas. I had a mark Iv before which I liked ands 50 cal I truly like the lonestar ,but I like the gain channel on the Electra dyne. Lol. I was hoping there iwas a combo of the 2. I do like the boosted lead tone of the lonestar. So o may justwindup going that way if there isn’t a better option. I was just listening to fates new album. Live over Europe. That tone fits all my needs. So I may have to reconsider another mark iv

I also go with a Mark III or IV. If possible, you could also try out the new Fillmore, just to see if it has enough gain for you and your setup. It’s not firebreather like the Marks, but it’s a little hotter than an Electrodyne.

After listening to big rich’s Clips of the mark v ! I’m just going to bite the bullet and spend the time with it. It’s too versatile not to try

You might want to check out the Triple Crown if you can. The clean and rhythm blue channel are both really really nice. The blue channel can get heavy enough, the red channel can do leads but just not as articulate as the Mark series. I have a Mark IV myself but from your description I think the TC is a good fit.

danyeo":2d20asga said:
You might want to check out the Triple Crown if you can. The clean and rhythm blue channel are both really really nice. The blue channel can get heavy enough, the red channel can do leads but just not as articulate as the Mark series. I have a Mark IV myself but from your description I think the TC is a good fit.
I was thinking about those as well. I like what I’ve heard from the clips. And they are 6l6 optioned as well. The clips with those sound real good . ! I was looking for something more Mesa voices instead of Marshall. I have a splawn quickrod for those tones. Where does the tc voice sound ? I’ve heard that’s a British voiced amp ?

Pwurst67":2t1wit4p said:
After listening to big rich’s Clips of the mark v ! I’m just going to bite the bullet and spend the time with it. It’s too versatile not to try

I've owned a V for quite a while now and can't recommend it more for a variety of not just gain but feel and attack/response too. I personally recommend EL34's in it for the gain tones, classic or modern, and the cleans will still be nice but admittedly not as big as with 6L's. Especially if you're unsure on choice, the V is literally the history of the mark series and more in one amp. Are any of it's tones as good as a prime original example? Sometimes yes, sometimes no but they are all still great tones with the ability to dial in almost anything you need. Plus it has sounds that no Mark did before. It can be a high powered clean, classic rock or metal machine or a lower powered squishy vintage style amp too. I have multiple Mesa's but can't see selling the V unless the next gen is a truly Holy Shit piece of work...lol

On a side note, with the amazing array of pedals available the answer could also be a Lonestar with the right pedal, considering the LS does so much that you like. It's a lot easier to make a fat amp tight than to make a tight amp fat or to have any give.

Ya know. I’ve thought about getting both :LOL: :LOL: the lonestar sounds great withthe. Bb preamp pedal. At least that way I’d get a in person feel for amps and if one doesn’t work. I could always sell it

If you want simplicity, big fat tone and gain, how about an ElectraDyne? They pop up from time to time.

Back