Wayne Charvel's Shop Gone

Not to sound like a prick but I don't understand the Go Fund me thing for people or a business who clearly probably had insurance. It seems fame or notiriaty gets you more sympathy than the folks who lost everything that don't have coverage etc.
Glad of course if no one at the shop or in the family was injured.

Lots of rich people lost their homes. Hope they had insurance, if not they’re idiots. I’m poor an barely paying my mortgage because of all my GEAR BILLS! Anyone want to donate to me?

Metlupass2":2bdzgl03 said:
He lost his home too and probably everything.

If I had a few Charvels and lost everything could I call him to get them replaced for a heavy discount or for free? Somehow I think not. He would say, sorry to hear that hope you had insurance. I feel for him and his family but I dont feel compelled to become a “gratis shareholder” in rebuilding his enterprise. I’m sure there’s still folks in Puerto Rico who could use a Go Fund Me.

For those with Insurance comment s forget about deductables which are typically up to 5%. Then figure in the overpriced California property values and total loss claims are typically 25-30% higher than value to account for demolition and haul off and new material and code costs to rebuild.

As a business he should have made arrangements for this possibility. I even posted on the gofundme that if I opened a Gofundme for a Wayne guitar that Wayne would not sympathize with me.

Sure California real eastate is ridiculous but no one told him to set up shop there. I’m sorry but this is poor business and reflects poor decision making. I wish him the best.......but Gofundme seems like a squeezeplay.

A discussion on "Go Fund Me" for things like this probably deserves it's own thread. I don't know who setup the fund in this instance, but if it was someone doing it to support Wayne without his involvement, then I see nothing wrong with it. If it was Wayne, then I agree with the OP. It's tragic and I would be devastated if I lost everything in a fire. But, I have insurance on my house and property and would also have it on my business, given the same circumstances. Does insurance cover 100%? Rarely, but why should I expect someone to donate the rest to cover the gap? And I get that California has great weather and would be a beautiful place to live, but it burns. Every. Single. Year. If you choose to live someplace with over-inflated real estate prices that burns every year, prepare for the inevitable outcome.

A "Go Fund Me" story... A person I know recently had a motorcycle accident. A few scrapes and bruises, but no real injuries. The motorcycle, on the other hand, needed extensive work. The accident was his fault and he only had liability coverage on the bike. He started a "Go Fund Me" page to get donations to cover the cost of the down payment for a new motorcycle because he just couldn't afford it. He has a job and a car and an apartment. He is not destitute. But, he' a "motorcycle guy" and "couldn't stand the thought of not being able to ride". Suck it up... I want things, too. You know what I do? I work and save and get them when I can afford it and it's a fiscally-responsible thing to do.

There are legitimate reasons for a "Go Fund Me" page. Trying to cover the insurance gaps because you chose to live in paradise and it bit you on the ass, or to get a new bike because you just can't stand the thought of going to work on 4 wheels, are not legitimate reasons.

Just my .02...

I'm not a fan of go fund me in general, but there are number of factors I see going unnoticed. My townhouse was flooded in 2003 when Isabel came through and brought the Chesapeake Bay 3 feet high in my kitchen and living room. Yes, I had flood insurance, but it doesn't cover everything and what it does cover gets depreciated. Dealing with Nat'l Flood Insurance (which is a part of FEMA) was a motherfucker and they didn't cover everything they said they would and they nickel and dimed me. I had USAA which covered my Jeep in the flood and dealing with them was a walk in the park. The worse part of all this is the flood came 3 days after I signed a contract to sell the house. I had less than 2 months to get everything back up for closing. The biggest thing you forget about is the 100s of hours dealing with contractors for repairs. He's going to have all those unbillable hours with no money coming in and it's not like he can just set up shop in mother in law's house like I had to. :LOL: :LOL:

Buying a house in a flood zone was a choice and luckily I sold it for 2.5 times what I paid for it. That extra cash took care of the hit I took from the flood. Now I'm not saying I would've started a go fund me page if I didn't have the money for repairs, but I certainly understand why someone would after an event like this.

There's people much worse off than Wayne Charvel. I agree, just because he built guitars, doesn't make his situation any more dire than anyone else's.

It's funny, I looked at some of the donations, and some other boutique guitar builders donations of....... $50. Cheap fucks.

Good debate. I don't really see an issue with anyone doing a GoFundMe page, but I get the points. Personally I would not donate to it. I do give a bunch to charities, mainly local.

Man, California taking it on the chin...damn.

Iv'e got and Idea. What if we all had a choice (whether, or not) to donate to a go fund me campaign?

Oh wait, we already do.

Well he's at about $12k so far so there's that... sucks to lose your livelihood but I am sure he's smart enough to have had insurance. Nice that people are willing to help out.

Back