I've come to realize that I don't like drop C tuning.

Mailman1971":3a6o66fk said:
I like it in E. With the ability to drop the low E to D thru the fine tuners.
It just feels right to me. I tried lower tuning. But not into it so much.

+1. I keep my guitars in E or Eb and drop the low string a step when needed.

I have never liked playing in any Drop X tuning. Standard E, Eb and D for me. But I’d say 90% of all my time is Eb standard. I do like D standard, but I want my 7 strings to be in tune with my 6’s and I don’t like my 7 string tuned down to A.

So, my point is that I’m with you, I learned a few years ago that I just don’t like tuning too low. I had an 8 string and just could NEVER get it to sound good. Tried sever string gauges, several tunings.

I have a drop C# on the low string of my eight string guitar. Thinking I should go up a tone to D# and see whether I like it this evening.

acalaf":2o7oip75 said:
drop C looses the punch. drop C # still retains it, especially on marshalls and mesa marks.
I find with a Gibson scale length this is the case for me, more so when I tune the guitar to C or C# standard. C# just sits better for me on a Gibson. I’ll need to investigate that Digitech because I wouldn’t mind jamming to some Sword and Entombed which is in C. Played standard D and drop C a fair bit in the 90’s on Les Pauls. Can’t believe I only used 10-52’s. Sounded pretty awesome into an early 5150.

Now that I’m an old fogey I live in E standard. I only drop to play heavy, slide style blues hard rock stuff. My C# guitar I play for a bit but get bored with the low tuned sound. Weird because I dig quite a few bands that tune lower but in person it’s a sound that wears out its welcome. Not snappy enough maybe.

skoora":3kmgj0c4 said:
acalaf":3kmgj0c4 said:
drop C looses the punch. drop C # still retains it, especially on marshalls and mesa marks.
I find with a Gibson scale length this is the case for me, more so when I tune the guitar to C or C# standard. C# just sits better for me on a Gibson. I’ll need to investigate that Digitech because I wouldn’t mind jamming to some Sword and Entombed which is in C. Played standard D and drop C a fair bit in the 90’s on Les Pauls. Can’t believe I only used 10-52’s. Sounded pretty awesome into an early 5150.

Now that I’m an old fogey I live in E standard. I only drop to play heavy, slide style blues hard rock stuff. My C# guitar I play for a bit but get bored with the low tuned sound. Weird because I dig quite a few bands that tune lower but in person it’s a sound that wears out its welcome. Not snappy enough maybe.
I agree about the snap. I'm usually in D# for that exact reason. Higher turnings have far more snap to them. Chords just grind way harder.

ElectricVoodoo":7ort5khw said:
Can't speak for drop C, but one of my guitars is in C# standard and I play tons of sabbath on it, covers with the band. Great for that stuff.

One thing is that it introduces alot of bass, 11 gauge with C# tunning. I always have to adjust the eq accordingly.

I keep a 2004 DK2M with Loomis Blackouts just for this reason. Currently has 10's but really need to throw on 11's next change.

Agree, it's cool just to have ready to go.
I'm strictly standard 440 on the other guitars, but when I pick up the C# standard tuning, it's alot of fun.

I just switched to 10's yesterday. Took away some low end, but that's what I wanted. The 11's were alittle too bassy with C# for my liking.
Now it's a nice balance.

Depends on what im playing, as far as what tuning im using. Cover band is standard. Death metal band is drop b. I feel like c is a happy key and alot of us guitarists sympathize with the open e ( or c ), in this instance; especially in drop tunings. May be why youre not digging/tired of it. C has always been a little bouncy feeling to me.

Played in drop D tuning back in the band days. We tuned down a semi tone too.

I pretty much exclusively play in standard tuning now, with 10s.
But I also don't play any metal & play a telecaster.

I’ve been in standard or drop D on my two main guitars for several years now. Pretty refreshing.

I have a super strat (G&L Invader) in drop C# and a Schecter in variations of open B for the occasional chomp but standard has been feeling great.

Back