EVH lunchbox or PRS MT 15

Played the EVH a couple of times, but it didn't have a true clean channel. I've owned the PRS for a few months now, and it made me sell both of my Mark IVs. Awesome little amp. Keeps up with my drummer in my metal band just fine. No issues for heavy or clean channels. My other guitar player took it on a small tour, and loved it so much he bought one, too. Played a couple of shows with it, and it performed excellent, and got me a lot of comments on my tone. The weight and size are super convenient. Cleans and heavy tones are excellent. Midgain tones I can't really comment on because I dont give a shit about that kind of sound.

I wish it had a master volume. Otherwise, I have no complaints about it. Its my favorite amp. I also have a Kruse modded 5153, which is awesome and I use for shows these days because of the master volume, but the PRS gets 90% of my play time.

exo-metal":2f7z06bw said:
We're talking the archon?

the PRS MT15 is actually a small little lunchbox sized signature amp for mark tremonti. I've heard nothing but great reviews but haven't been able to play one myself.

exo-metal":i5nuk16t said:
We're talking the archon?
No. It's a 15 watt lunchbox amp. It's is not touted as being part of the Archon line from PRS. It'so its own thing. Sounds incredible in every clip I have heard.

Midgain tones I can't really comment on because I dont give a shit about that kind of sound. Lmaool.. oh that's funny. Love it

Beandust":2efqjccr said:
Midgain tones I can't really comment on because I dont give a shit about that kind of sound. Lmaool.. oh that's funny. Love it

Straight, if you heard Raf's clips you'd get it....can't imagine dude has ever played midgain in his life lol

Heard good things about this amp, heard sick clips from players I love, played one last weekend and took everything I had not to bring it home (the MT15).

Steinmetzify":cdn5j6fe said:
Beandust":cdn5j6fe said:

Straight, if you heard Raf's clips you'd get it....can't imagine dude has ever played midgain in his life lol

Heard good things about this amp, heard sick clips from players I love, played one last weekend and took everything I had not to bring it home (the MT15).
I dig it, love the high stuff as well. Medium gain isnt near as much fun. Wonder how the hiss is on the MT15? If it's anything like a lxbox if that's indeed the red channel and all its glory for the 5153, was a tough compromise , dont like to use a gate. The MT15 able to get close to marshall mids at all?

I have the EVH lunchbox ( the new one with concentric pots) . It’s a great little amp. Can cover clean to high gain .

i have minimal experience with the EVH and none with the PRS...but in the least, this is what I've experienced/heard/read/seen in reviews of both...well all three really. The original EVH lbx and lbxII are different.

EVH LBX 1 - blue and burn channels. does the crunch/mid-gain (blue channel) and high gain (burn channel) very well. shared EQ over two channels
EVH LBX2 - clean channel is good, very flat response, great pedal platform. blue channel is a great mid-gain/low-high gain channel. does the modded marshall thing. separate eq over two channels. tonally somewhere in the neighborhood of the blue channel on the 100w head,only giving up the goods sooner due to the low wattage.
PRS MT 15 - clean channel is very good (chimey), but not glassy. does high-gain in spades...more/less the defacto high-gain low watter.

IMO, which is better is very subjective due to the tonal/voicing differences in the three amps. Also, if you want high-gain and a great clean, the PRS may be the way to go. BUT, if you want a great modded marshall tone, but also need clean and high-gain at your disposal....the LBX 2 may be a better option given the ability to boost the clean channel with a high gain pedal, kick it on and off for cleans....

id' love to hear you (play and) give your thoughts on both as you have got a really good ear for great amp tone.

I wouldn't discount the 6505MH. Probably not the loudest of the bunch, but I found it much more workable than the LBX, and just as mean sounding. I found the LBX to have a terrible volume taper, it went from quiet to loud, real quick, which I felt defeated the purpose.

This is the original LBX, BTW. I know you didn't want negatives, but another thing to consider, (that bothered me), was a huge volume jump between blue and red. Jumping to red for a lead got buried because the volume was considerably less. Also, defeated the purpose.

I was reading some reviews on the PRS forum
Where one guy was using MT15 and the other guitarist could not hear his 100 watt on stage
I have no idea what measurement PRS is using but that amp is just not 15 Watts
For a while it was said that Mark changed it to a 40 but it in the end it’s advertised as a 15 and it’ll run against any 50 easily

All these threads keep making me think about picking up a MT15, or a 5150 III 50W. Both seem like killer little amps.... little amps that have that low end depth punch that many smaller amps miss.

gtr31":1s1u4psq said:
Where one guy was using MT15 and the other guitarist could not hear his 100 watt on stage
For a while it was said that Mark changed it to a 40 but it in the end it’s advertised as a 15 and it’ll run against any 50 easily

Can anyone verify that please? I would definitely want one if it is that compact and can run against a 100-watter.

It's not impossible, my Kraken is super loud (50 watts) in a small package. But I always imagined it was just a 15-watt amp.

nightlight":9roku52g said:
gtr31":9roku52g said:

Can anyone verify that please? I would definitely want one if it is that compact and can run against a 100-watter.

It's not impossible, my Kraken is super loud (50 watts) in a small package. But I always imagined it was just a 15-watt amp.

There are posts out there where the designer of the MT15 said that it is basically a 50W. amp design that has been scaled back to 15W. That is why it has such a big sound, for such a small amp, they say.

both of these "mini/lbx" heads are loud AF...and could both hang in a smallish venue, maybe bigger.
and yes to your point Shask...i seem to remember the original thread...where mark was playing the mt15...and there was some discussion that it acutely was a 50w, sold/marketed as 15w.

the volume taper "issue" is real...on both amps i believe. again not to point out a negative, just a functional part of these beasts

I also don’t think there are many as picky as Tremonti
The guy is an amp nut and has like 20 high gain amps
He said he spent 2 years on voicing the amp overdrive channel

MrDowntown":2uct6r6i said:
both of these "mini/lbx" heads are loud AF...and could both hang in a smallish venue, maybe bigger.
and yes to your point Shask...i seem to remember the original thread...where mark was playing the mt15...and there was some discussion that it acutely was a 50w, sold/marketed as 15w.

the volume taper "issue" is real...on both amps i believe. again not to point out a negative, just a functional part of these beasts

Yes the volume gets a little hairy BUT
Take it too a tech and have them mod that
Also some of the noise they can shield
It’s a 650 amp if you love the tone a tech can swap upgrade a few parts and your still under a grand for an awesome sound

Back