Best single channel high gain amp

Great list of amps. Cameron of course is top of the mark for anyone who's owned one. The VHT seems to be the production amp that is mentioned most though. I'm a little surprised the UL wasn't named when talking VHT. Peters clips sound good but only mentioned once. Is the FSM the most modern voiced in the line?

exo-metal":11wh9cl9 said:
Great list of amps. Cameron of course is top of the mark for anyone who's owned one. The VHT seems to be the production amp that is mentioned most though. I'm a little surprised the UL wasn't named when talking VHT. Peters clips sound good but only mentioned once. Is the FSM the most modern voiced in the line?
No the FSM has been replaced with the Bodyhammer which is supposed to be tighter and more aggressive. I’m very curious to try one. I used to own an FSM and thought it was nice, but too restrained sounding

I’m not as impressed with the VHT/Fryette stuff as others here. I had an UL and for me it lacked growl and rawness and other amps outdid it for the tight chugs it’s known for. I remember the CL and Deliverance being kinda similar, maybe more growl and rawness, less tight, but still very lacking the growl or rawness of a good modded Marshall like a Cameron or even a Gower, Kruse, Friedman mod, etc.

As far as current production amps go, I’ve yet to play a single channel high gainer that really impressed me, but I still gotta try a Peters Bodyhammer, Diezel Big Max, Homestead and Schroeder Formula. If I had to choose a current production amp, I’d agree with the others and say either a Deliverance, Avenger, or maybe a Splawn, but I’d still choose a good old boosted Marshall like a 2203 any day over those. The Fortin maybe be better than those 3 (haven’t tried one yet), but in my mind it doesn’t count as a production amp. Maybe the new Fortin designed Maxwatt amp may also be up there

That Chupacabra I got for sale kicks ass on all levels.
I just got lot other multi channel amps that covers this tone.

braintheory":323ye87r said:
Wizard of Ozz":323ye87r said:
Wizard MC1
That’s a 2 channel amp

... but he can make a single channel version... ala the amp Hetfield used on Garage Days... lead channel only... hardwired to lead all the time... no rhythm channel.

exo-metal":iehin7ow said:
The only single channel VHT is the Deliverance, AFAIK.

Zachalou":7ina6bbj said:
I'll also throw in Laney Gh100L, which I've only ever used as a 1 channel amp, great amp!

Yep, me too. And, one of the loudest frickin' amps I've ever owned. Owned the 50-watter 3 times. Definitely an all-time favorite amp. A real beast!

I'll add the Splawn Competition to the list, as well as my Yeti.

Tampa area. And I am one of the few on here who did not gel with the Deliverance 120. Too dry and stiff for me.......the Avenger I had was badass.........a blind trade........learned a lesson...

shred-o-holic":29hwnc2w said:
Tampa area. And I am one of the few on here who did not gel with the Deliverance 120. Too dry and stiff for me.......the Avenger I had was badass.........a blind trade........learned a lesson...

It's cool. My Wife bought mine for me from a GC in Connecticut, She heard me talking about the Avenger & my constant watching of videos of people playing them.

Soldano Avenger 100. I did have a Deliverance D120 and found it was slightly more compressed sounding and as you would turn it up past say 2 on the dial it would just start to give up. I had the new version and the plate voltage was around 420v.

I bought the Avenger from GC used but in the same store that day I pitted it against a Uberschall, Cobra, VH4..........at the time I liked it hands down......it was one of those amps that had the mojo...I bought one later and it was good but whatever extra flava was present with the other one seemed to not be there.....

shred-o-holic":dbxf1mim said:
I bought the Avenger from GC used but in the same store that day I pitted it against a Uberschall, Cobra, VH4..........at the time I liked it hands down......it was one of those amps that had the mojo...I bought one later and it was good but whatever extra flava was present with the other one seemed to not be there.....

I think part of that is the transformers that Mike used. I played a Hotrod 50 with mercury's a while back that had some mojo. Wish I would bought it. The Avenger line has gone through various ones, Mercury Magnetics, Marvel, Onetic's, and Pacific. I've had Avenger's with Marvel and Pacific. I would say the difference is slight but there is one even though I'm told that they are spec'd the same.

Back