Favorite Death / Thrash guitar tone album? 1983-1993

So many great guitar tones tainted by so many crappy vocals LOL! Lots of stuff I'd love to listen to if I could only turn down the vocal slider and just enjoy the music.

D-Rock":2812l3tf said:
So many great guitar tones tainted by so many crappy vocals LOL! Lots of stuff I'd love to listen to if I could only turn down the vocal slider and just enjoy the music.
Big +1 to that.

Always loved ‘Contradictions Collapse’ - Meshuggah, and the last 3 or 4 Coroner albums, (No More Color, Mental Vortex, Grin, and Coroner). Tommy’s tone in the latter Coroner albums sounds like an army of guitars coming at you.
The Crumbsuckers -‘Beast on my Back’ has very good guitar tone and chops as well Love it!!!

Beyond Black":23kmecaj said:
vicknott":23kmecaj said:
Amon Amarth, Fear Factory, Carcass, Pantera ????? :doh: I thought we talked about old-school thrash and death-metal...
Anyway, my favourite are:
death-metal - Death - Human
thrash - Anthax - Persistence of Time
Lighten up, Francis. All of those bands have been around since the early 90's...

The years are not important, but their style is and is not old-school thrash death ! Pantera - groove metal, Fear Factory - industrial, Amon Amarth and Carcass - melodeath

LanierP":1zskkkkc said:
Always loved ‘Contradictions Collapse’ - Meshuggah, and the last 3 or 4 Coroner albums, (No More Color, Mental Vortex, Grin, and Coroner). Tommy’s tone in the latter Coroner albums sounds like an army of guitars coming at you.
The Crumbsuckers -‘Beast on my Back’ has very good guitar tone and chops as well Love it!!!

Tommy's tone was stellar on Grin. Bogner 101b?

For me it’s definitely the Swedish Death Metal Tone’s from late 80’s through early 90’s whether tight or falling apart. Nihilist, Entombed. For more recent, mid 2000’s, really dig Death Breath. Almost like a classic metal Death sound. Venom’s From The Very Depths. Big mentions to Kill Em All for raw and nasty and thick and big tones like Bolt Thrower and Carcass Heartwork. Also 80’s Candlemass.

DEATH - The Sound Of Perseverance

death-the-sound-of-perseverence-gold-LP-front.jpg

vicknott":2xbyjtrs said:
Beyond Black":2xbyjtrs said:
vicknott":2xbyjtrs said:
Amon Amarth, Fear Factory, Carcass, Pantera ????? :doh: I thought we talked about old-school thrash and death-metal...
Lighten up, Francis. All of those bands have been around since the early 90's...

The years are not important, but their style is and is not old-school thrash death ! Pantera - groove metal, Fear Factory - industrial, Amon Amarth and Carcass - melodeath
Does anyone else get sick of all the damn subcategories of metal these days ?

paulyc":3ku801oc said:
vicknott":3ku801oc said:
Beyond Black":3ku801oc said:
vicknott":3ku801oc said:

Yes!!!! It's ridiculous, way out of hand...

Juggernaut":3rty0idf said:
paulyc":3rty0idf said:
vicknott":3rty0idf said:
Beyond Black":3rty0idf said:
vicknott":3rty0idf said:

Yes!!!! It's ridiculous, way out of hand...
Totally. All of those bands mentioned above are derivatives/sub genres of THRASH AND DEATH METAL. That's where it all came from...

I sort of understand, because if we don't specify thrash or death/thrash then this thread will just turn into "your favorite metal guitar tones" which isn't what this guy was looking for. I think he was wanting a specific era of thrash metal, mostly from like 1987 to 1993 or so, when some of the bands started flirting with death metal.

thrashinbatman":y40f799w said:
I sort of understand, because if we don't specify thrash or death/thrash then this thread will just turn into "your favorite metal guitar tones" which isn't what this guy was looking for. I think he was wanting a specific era of thrash metal, mostly from like 1987 to 1993 or so, when some of the bands started flirting with death metal.

Exactly !

Classic thrash, I love Annihilator - Neverland, Coroner - Mental Vortex, Toxik - Think This, Overkill - Horrorscope.
Classic Death Metal, Death - Individual Thought, Atheist - Unquestionable Presence and Cynic - Focus (funny that they're all rotating band members of the same bands).

Is it safe to say, boosted 800's are the way to go?

Back