Favorite Death / Thrash guitar tone album? 1983-1993

thegame":3t7eo9fy said:
nightflameauto":3t7eo9fy said:
sotosprince":3t7eo9fy said:
Thx for this hidden gem! Nice aggressive thrashy tone! Marshalls + boost?
Don't know if that's what they recorded with, but live back in 91 it was 800s boosted with SD1s. I think one of the guys had a DS-1 on his board too. The "stage" I saw them on was only like a foot tall, so it was pretty easy to see all the equipment, but my memory seems to have focused on the SD-1s, amps and wah on the lead dudes board.

I almost saw them in 90/91. I went to a show featuring Bolt Thrower/Sacrifice/Believer. Sacrifice announced from the stage that Believer's van broke down so they didn't make it.

Wow, what a lineup!

:thumbsup:

I have seen Morbid Angel twice, and they were wicked AF. they had some great tones toward the end of the topic stated era. They absolutely blew the place (State Theater in St. Petersburg, FL) apart. I saw them there twice between 2004 and 2007ish. They are heavily influential for a lot of bands to come.

I'm surprised at the pick of Testament's Practice What you Preach. Not going for a hot take, but that album sounds like it was recorded in a mail box (IMHO) of course. I always felt their production/mixing is what kept them from being up there with the other "4".

Agreed. Their productions were on varying levels of bad until like The Ritual. PWYP in particular is really rough. Very flat and muddy.

Fear Factory - Soul of a New Machine
Sepultura - Arise
Entombed - Clandestine
Grave - You'll Never See
Anthrax - Among the living & Sabbath Bloody Sabbath on the I'm the man Ep
Metallica - Puppets and Garage Inc $5.98 EP
Pantera - Vulgar Display

thrashinbatman":180s8n40 said:
Agreed. Their productions were on varying levels of bad until like The Ritual. PWYP in particular is really rough. Very flat and muddy.
I remember them bragging about how all the guitars on PWYP were recorded in one take except for a lead where Alex popped a string. In an era when most metal bands were doing layer upon layer, it stood out as extremely different, right at the point where a lot of people were looking for more of the same.

Have I mentioned Dark Angel's Time Does Not Heal yet? DAMN I love the tones on that album.

nightflameauto":352eob6b said:
thrashinbatman":352eob6b said:
I remember them bragging about how all the guitars on PWYP were recorded in one take except for a lead where Alex popped a string. In an era when most metal bands were doing layer upon layer, it stood out as extremely different, right at the point where a lot of people were looking for more of the same.

Have I mentioned Dark Angel's Time Does Not Heal yet? DAMN I love the tones on that album.
9 songs, 67 minutes, 246 riffs! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Back