German Floyd Rose aggravation, frustration

SQUAREHEAD

OK,
I have a German Floyd Rose, brand new, on an alder body strat shape guitar,
The Floyd has the big brass block and I have it stopped in the back with FU stopper so it only goes down.
When I let the bar down and then bring it back up it stops and sets tightly against the stopper, but everything goes Sharp... then, if I bend any given string, that particular string goes flat…
Everything is tightened properly, the nut is also brand new, everything is at perfect angles that I can see… I own a few guitars with German Floyd Rose trems ( all set up this way ) and I’ve never had this problem…
Anybody that could give me some advice, I would sure appreciate it! I am certainly missing something here…
Hope you guys are having a great weekend,
Keith

Attachments

• 2F28A140-98D3-402B-BB9E-ED8D4C267CE1.jpeg
    2F28A140-98D3-402B-BB9E-ED8D4C267CE1.jpeg
    603.3 KB · Views: 1,048
  • F3FBD723-3B94-4A64-BC9D-A81D9D4C5321.jpeg
    F3FBD723-3B94-4A64-BC9D-A81D9D4C5321.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 956
Have you stretched the strings enough? Like really, really stretched them?
Do you have a pic of the trem cavity?

Oh yeah, I stretch the living heck out of them…
Plus it’s not like they are just going flat, if I Bend a string, that string goes flat, then if I use the bar that same string goes sharp… I’ve tried everything, I got the springs in the back so tight I can barely move the bar and it still does this!
Weird, I’ve never had this with any of my Floyd’s, ever…

bummer man! the only thing I can suggest is to double check and make sure the locking nut is tight to the neck (not the individual you tighten from the top but the actual screws holding on the nut directly to the neck). Hope you get it.

Floyd needs to be touching the body, yours is not. first pic shows it being higher on the bass side. Lastly the post in the second picture looks like it’s leaning.

I don’t know why or how it happens, but some guitars do just fight a bit. It’s frustrating, but usually you can get it to stay in tune if you just take 20 minutes of sitting with it and repeatedly tuning, locking down, dive/bend a ton, unlock, retune, etc. i

It’s super annoying and I have no idea why it happens, but eventually it’ll settle down and stay in tune.

Just looking at the picture, I see a couple things that could be trouble. . . .

1 - The bridge is not absolutely level in relation to the body (unless it is shadows from the lighting). This always causes issues. In order to have the unit return to "0" (in tune) the system has to be perfectly ballanced. Adust the springs till the bridge is perfectly level in relation to the body of the guitar when in tune.

2 - It does appear that the bridge studs are moving forward. It could be shadows, but it does look like they moved if they were strait when installed. I've had similar issues and used apoxy to keep them from moving.

3 - Due to the fulcrum\spring tension system of the Floyd Rose, pulling\bending notes has always been an issue. Many complane of lack of sustain from floating bridge systems. I have corrected this in the past using the Hip-Shot Trem setter which employs a separate spring system that replaces the center spring on your tremelo setup providing a negative feedback when the strings are pulled but does not affect dive. It also stablizes the system should you break a string, you can finish the song without going completely out of tune. The device has to be tuned to your string gauge\tuning and
set-up.

Again, I'm just going by the picture, I could be wrong.

Hope these tips help.

as others have noted, I think the bridge is too elevated. I can see that your pickups are barely in the cavity. and the neck shelf looks to be a strong 1/8" if not 3/16" above the body. That could just be the angle of the pic, though.

Check to make sure the nut isn’t lose . I don’t mean the blocks that hold the strings . I mean the screws that hold the locking nut to the neck . I’ve experienced your exact issue and the problem was the screws holding the nut were lose . They have to be really tight or the nut will shift

Thank you all very very much for your suggestions, I am going to try everything there who’s being listed here, until it works properly…
I appreciate everyone’s help!

splatter":1df5fpox said:
Check to make sure the nut isn’t lose . I don’t mean the blocks that hold the strings . I mean the screws that hold the licking nut to the neck . I’ve experienced your exact issue and the problem was the screws holding the nut were lose . They have to be really tight or the nut will shift
Was going to say the same thing... :thumbsup:

I’ve had a guitar with a loose locking nut. At least there, you could actually hear the nut “pop” as it moved with a big bend or diving the bar, and it definitely was knocking the guitar out of tune.

DStroud, Splatter, Bronco... I tightened up the nut and I thought it was fixed but it’s not… It’s a little bit better though, but it’s still not right

Riggins1966":31i7bzpg said:
as others have noted, I think the bridge is too elevated. I can see that your pickups are barely in the cavity. and the neck shelf looks to be a strong 1/8" if not 3/16" above the body. That could just be the angle of the pic, though.

Yep. That bridge is too high, which is probably allowing the studs to flex a little bit in the body. Get the bridge studs deeper and as long as the nut is really locked to the neck, you should have more consistency. If not, something's up with the knife blades.

messenger":189vkci8 said:
Floyd’s drive me nuts

It’s weird, I have probably owned 15 guitars with Floyd’s
and this is the first one that’s ever had me frustrated…
I will figure it out… :D

Back