• Engl Marty Friedman Inferno

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Engl Invader 2

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Engl Invader

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

Metalmann13

I have been looking around at Engl amps and I have narrowed down my list which I think may be worthy. They are the Invader 1 and 2, Savage 120, and Marty Friedman Inferno. I want a amp that can have lots of distortion with a scoop for thrash metal and a great clean tone with a bright switch. I like the Invader 2 the most, but it is a little out of my price range even in used condition. I prefer an amp that I can buy new or used under $2,000. :doh: :rock:

While they sound good I’d say none of the due to the poor quality construction. Sorry to be negative, I just want you to waste your money!

Metalmann13":1h10hh6g said:
I have been looking around at Engl amps and I have narrowed down my list which I think may be worthy.
Any guitar amp that has the word "Savage" in it must be a winner winner beef stroganoff dinner.

I'd personally go with the "Engl Invader" due to my strict religious progressive beliefs. Plus I believe the EI is a tube amp, however, I may be mistaken.

Of those 4, the Invader 2 is my least favorite. It’s more polished and processed sounding and smoother/less aggressive than the other 3 you listed. The Invader I has the tightest bottom end of those on channel 3 and sounds quite heavy, modern and scooped, big bottom end, but it’s also polished, smoother, not as growly and so imo not ideal for thrash and I wasn’t crazy about its other channels

The Inferno and Savage I think would work. The Savage will be tighter, stiffer, brighter, more upper mids and the Inferno has more low mid growl, warmth and I think much better for playing leads. I’d also consider the Artist Edition. It has a really great upper mid growl and is less compressed and processed sounding than the other Engls, but still has that kinda sound

For the kinda sound you’re describing under 2k, a Mesa/boogie mark iii would for sure be my pick and would be under 1k or maybe one of the earlier rectifiers. If you didn’t mention the scooped or clean part, I’d have also suggested an old jmp2203 or jcm800 with a good boost pedal

If you hunt around, you may be able to also find a used KSR or Revv amp under 2k. They’re also on the compressed, less organic side like the Engls, but also have lots of growl and can be very tight and not as compressed or synthetic as Engls to my ears, but still in that direction. If you’re super picky about a raw, organic like I am (which I think is important for thrash), I say get a mark iii, but it sounds like you’re on the right track if you only wanna look at Engls

Actually, maybe you can also find a Diezel VH2 used under 2k

The Savage 120 is a monster of an amp. It's my favorite amp ever, period, and I've gotten a mountain of killer tones out of it.

Tone Monster":3pq4jm3q said:
While they sound good I’d say none of the due to the poor quality construction. Sorry to be negative, I just want you to waste your money!

I agree,.... The only brand I have had trouble with has been ENGL . Out of the 8 or so amps from them I owned 2 had to be sent to a tech for repair. One had to be sent out of state to a guy that specializes in ENGL.

I'm sure some will argue they are fine but I wouldn't take the chance on them anymore. My biggest issue with them is they are not fuse protected properly. IMO if there is an overcurrent occurrence from a bad powertube then a fuse should blow before a large section of the main board goes up in smoke. But hey what do I know.

Artist Edition is a Cameron you can buy off the shelf (to my ears)
killer modded-M sounds and perfect layout with clean and dual masters for leads
Blackmore model is similar, running 6L6s

never had any reliability issues in a couple of years, but it is my only experience of the brand so far
not read or heard any issues and know an endorser who would have mentioned it

the4thlast1":2067j1rh said:
Tone Monster":2067j1rh said:

I agree,.... The only brand I have had trouble with has been ENGL . Out of the 8 or so amps from them I owned 2 had to be sent to a tech for repair. One had to be sent out of state to a guy that specializes in ENGL.

I'm sure some will argue they are fine but I wouldn't take the chance on them anymore. My biggest issue with them is they are not fuse protected properly. IMO if there is an overcurrent occurrence from a bad powertube then a fuse should blow before a large section of the main board goes up in smoke. But hey what do I know.
As a counter-point, I've owned three ENGLs over the past few years, two of them being my main gigging amps. Outside a power tube failing in my Savage 60, I've never had a single issue with any of them. My Engl Thunder was a reliable workhorse for several years.

SAVAGE 120...First amp I've owned with KT-88s and I really dig it. Built like a tank and is very good quality in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

Fret-Shredder":2plo2t26 said:
SAVAGE 120...First amp I've owned with KT-88s and I really dig it. Built like a tank and is very good quality in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

I wish I would have tried my savage with KT88s before letting it go :( What a great amp.

I got an original Power Ball I would sell ya.
I’ve owned several Engls. And really dig this Powerball. Just got too many amps.
Hit me up pm if interested. :thumbsup:

I have owned and gigged 5 Engls and played through just about everything they make. I found the Invaders gain was too harsh, and I love a good modern high gain tone. The Powerball II is my favorite because it does just about everything well, so I vote for that one, even though it's not on your poll :D

D-Rock":2rf7eba0 said:
I'm waiting on delivery of this $180 "Savage 120" so I'll let you know later! Lol!

Let me know how that sounds. I've been curious about it, though I guess it's a bit irrelevant since I have a real-deal Savage now. The only demo I've heard of that thing is the one Hotone made themselves, and they aren't very good at making demos. :aww:

Back