NAD- Randall RG100ES

One of these has been on my radar for a long time. My family is big Pantera fans, and a Century 200 is hard to find. I happened across this one on the web late last night and lo and behold it was local. Carpet covering and all and in great shape.

The seller let me play it before I bought it, and I was shocked at how much gain was on tap straight in, and tbh at just how good it sounded. I plan to run a dime-esque rig with it, but this is a rippin' lil amp all on its own. If I get a bug up my ass I'll post some clips, but I know folks have already done more justice to these than I could.

At any rate, I'm stoked! Now to find a good cab for it...

Wish you were in DFW. I got a bunch of X2 heads and warhead cabs. You would have a blast!

Congrats on the amp score. You are gonna enjoy it.

rottingcorpse":25jkk63i said:
Wish you were in DFW. I got a bunch of X2 heads and warhead cabs. You would have a blast!

Congrats on the amp score. You are gonna enjoy it.

That's awesome, you got the amps and are in the motherland lol.

I played it straight in for awhile and just loved the organic tones it gets. Doesn't sound like a solid state amp to me.

Then I threw a boost, MXR 6 band and noise gate in front to approximate the Dime sound. My brother is a huge fan and was offering me trades left and right when he heard it lol. This is a super fun amp and I can't wait to keep tweaking.

Glad that someone else is discovering how cool these amps are. Best solid state ever.

Does yours have the grey faceplate or black? My favorite two were a 1986 head and early 1987 RG80ES combo.

Snave":2ngh39iz said:
Glad that someone else is discovering how cool these amps are. Best solid state ever.

Does yours have the grey faceplate or black? My favorite two were a 1986 head and early 1987 RG80ES combo.

No doubt. My brother talked me out of Randall amps for years, but I just went for it and am glad I did. Mine’s a gray faceplate. I’m ashamed to admit I don’t know what year it is.

Guy I bought if off also had an 80w combo, snakeskin cover and gray faceplate.

misterspockyall":33ja7opu said:
Snave":33ja7opu said:

No doubt. My brother talked me out of Randall amps for years, but I just went for it and am glad I did. Mine’s a gray faceplate. I’m ashamed to admit I don’t know what year it is.

Any grey one is from "the good years" so you've got nothing to worry about. :thumbsup: If you ever pull the chassis, there's a sticker on the side with date info.

IMAG0807.jpg

Snave":347poq31 said:
Any grey one is from "the good years" so you've got nothing to worry about. :thumbsup: If you ever pull the chassis, there's a sticker on the side with date info.

IMAG0807.jpg

Awesome info, thank you. This is why I love this site. Any eq/dial-in wisdom I should know about these in particular?

Boost the mids hard in front of the amp with an eq. Basic dime trick,but Gary Holt from Exodus does it too using a parametric eq(tho not with Slayer).

Their EQ is pretty responsive so they're intuitive to dial in. Biggest decision you have to make is whether you're using the treble pot gain boost. It's much more compressed and higher gain when pulled, as I'm sure you've noticed. It loses quite a bit of volume and punch when pulled though (not a big deal for bedroom jamming). They made a fairly rare accessory called the XP-3 Block Booster that fixes this volume drop through some kind of magic.

These are my lead channel settings on my old combo (treble pulled:)

IMAG0596z.jpg

rottingcorpse: No doubt. I ran a maxon 808 and a soul food in front with the MXR in a frown (for my pantera imitation), but when I switched the my koko boost it just made it sound the way I wanted.

Snave: When I ran straight in, I dug both pushed and pulled. It is punchy as hell and harmonically pick responsive pushed, and pulled put it into metal territory or liquid leads. I actually found one of those block boosters yesterday, but for what I'm doing, I'll just turn the volume knob given the price of the dang thing. Cool concept though, makes me wonder if something similar would appease the evh 5153 crowd with their ch. 1 to 2 volume jump quandary. Bet those settings in your pic give some pretty creamy leads!

psychodave: That tone rips asses, and great feel on your playing sir! If you're the sharing type I'd humbly ask what you got goin on with that setup.

MetalHeadMike":3k2s1jv5 said:
Congrats man :rock: Haven't heard much from ya around here lately; good to see ya back!

Thanks man, been a long term “on the radar” amp! And yeah, I haven’t posted much, but I lurk daily. There have been some wild threads lately lol. I’ll likely be posting more with the cold weather and that making it amp buying season and all.

misterspockyall":j7lrjz8q said:
rottingcorpse: No doubt. I ran a maxon 808 and a soul food in front with the MXR in a frown (for my pantera imitation), but when I switched the my koko boost it just made it sound the way I wanted.

Snave: When I ran straight in, I dug both pushed and pulled. It is punchy as hell and harmonically pick responsive pushed, and pulled put it into metal territory or liquid leads. I actually found one of those block boosters yesterday, but for what I'm doing, I'll just turn the volume knob given the price of the dang thing. Cool concept though, makes me wonder if something similar would appease the evh 5153 crowd with their ch. 1 to 2 volume jump quandary. Bet those settings in your pic give some pretty creamy leads!

psychodave: That tone rips asses, and great feel on your playing sir! If you're the sharing type I'd humbly ask what you got goin on with that setup.

Here is a thread with the details. Nothing really elaborate going one, just a boss SD-1 out front, a cheap delay in the loop and two 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30’s.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=199471

psychodave":3019oyag said:
Here is a thread with the details. Nothing really elaborate going one, just a boss SD-1 out front, a cheap delay in the loop and two 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30’s.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=199471

Thanks for the info, and that thread is hilarious. I would have guessed something higher end after hearing that as well.

Snave":2ybgd3z6 said:
misterspockyall":2ybgd3z6 said:
Snave":2ybgd3z6 said:

IMAG0807.jpg
Well, all you GASholes in this thread made me find an 88 RG80 combo for 150....I mean cmon, it's the price of a pedal...
It sounds really good. I had an 84 a few years back, I don't remember that one sounding anywhere near as good as this one. Without a boost it sounds like Lynch on Tooth and Nail. Pretty cool. This one came with a Celestion H100. Best 150 I've ever spent on gear.

Racerxrated":2uen2dn6 said:
Well, all you GASholes in this thread made me find an 88 RG80 combo for 150....I mean cmon, it's the price of a pedal...
It sounds really good. I had an 84 a few years back, I don't remember that one sounding anywhere near as good as this one. Without a boost it sounds like Lynch on Tooth and Nail. Pretty cool. This one came with a Celestion H100. Best 150 I've ever spent on gear.

Haha right on. Psychodave’s clips got me just running one boost in for my modded marshall tone. Loving this thing. Can you run it into an external cab?

misterspockyall":3c00mbpv said:
Racerxrated":3c00mbpv said:

Haha right on. Psychodave’s clips got me just running one boost in for my modded marshall tone. Loving this thing. Can you run it into an external cab?
Oh yeah, 2 8 ohm outs. Tomorrow will be Tuesday fun day. Lol

Back