Your favorite TS-type boost for metal?

$40 sd-1 and a cheap eq in the loop. I can’t believe how many idiots pay hundreds of dollars for OD pedals with very slight eq tweaks.

Shask":33ya75ss said:
I pretty much like them all, lol. That is why I have about 10 different versions. I like the OD808 for the smoother type, and the SD-1 and M77 for the more aggressive types.
Yep lol. The sd-1 is awesome when you want a bit more bite in the tone. I like the sd-1w as well. Generally speaking the stock setting I find most useful, but the custom setting is killer through a stock JMP or jcm800.

I switched out my TS9 for a Shiba Drive recently. Quite a considerable difference in voicing & performance. The Shiba has a much more 3D quality about it which I like. It's also much higher output. It doesn't seem to lose some of the middle frequencies that I found with previous TS pedals & it seems to enhance the sound almost.
I've not yet tried the Koko boost but I suspect it's much of the same but without the drive.
I've never used the drive on any of my TS pedals in the past because I felt it got too busy and fizzy. The drive on the Shiba seems to do more than just clip and is very usable.

Shask":1wc7u39m said:
I pretty much like them all, lol. That is why I have about 10 different versions. I like the OD808 for the smoother type, and the SD-1 and M77 for the more aggressive types.

I'm Right there with you. Here's a list of what i have.

1. Boss SD-1
2. T.C. Electronics- Distortion/Booster
3. T.C. Electronics - Spark Boost
4. Way Huge - Green Rhino
5. MXR-GTOD
6. Amp Man Prototype Boost/OD
7. MXR MC402 Boost/OD
8. Maxon OD-9
9. Randall - MOR

I'm sure there are more....but these are the ones i could remember off the top of me head.

Detroit1973":3s6szhd1 said:
Shask":3s6szhd1 said:

1. Boss SD-1
5. MXR-GTOD
7. MXR MC402 Boost/OD
8. Maxon OD-9
9. Randall - MOR

I'm sure there are more....but these are the ones i could remember off the top of me head.

Yeah, I am the same way. I have several commercial units, and several clones I have built. OD808, Green Rhino, SD-1, MXR, M77, MXR Classic OD, Joyo Vintage OD, Caline Orange Burst, Caline Crazi Cacti, Caline Pure Sky, Boss BD-2, and several clones I have built, such as Eternity Lovepedal, Klon, BYOC Green Pony, Marshall Bluesbreaker, Rat, Marshall Guv'nor, etc.... I am sure there are more also, lol. I just like to switch them up from time to time.

With ODs, I find it more important to mix-n-match with the amp. No OD is perfect in every setup. You have to pick the right OD that matches with that particular amp and pickups, for the particular mood you are in that day.

Shask":3vlo4qrd said:
Detroit1973":3vlo4qrd said:
Shask":3vlo4qrd said:

1. Boss SD-1
5. MXR-GTOD
7. MXR MC402 Boost/OD
8. Maxon OD-9
9. Randall - MOR

Yeah, I am the same way. I have several commercial units, and several clones I have built. OD808, Green Rhino, SD-1, MXR, M77, MXR Classic OD, Joyo Vintage OD, Caline Orange Burst, Caline Crazi Cacti, Caline Pure Sky, Boss BD-2, and several clones I have built, such as Eternity Lovepedal, Klon, BYOC Green Pony, Marshall Bluesbreaker, Rat, Marshall Guv'nor, etc.... I am sure there are more also, lol. I just like to switch them up from time to time.

With ODs, I find it more important to mix-n-match with the amp. No OD is perfect in every setup. You have to pick the right OD that matches with that particular amp and pickups, for the particular mood you are in that day.

So True! I'm really on the hunt now for the perfect clean boost & the perfect OD for my Soldano. If i ever get to a point where i find what i consider the perfect combos, then i'll sell all the others.

Rex Rocker":32ag0cl2 said:
The Grid Slammer also looks interesting. How does it compare to the Maxon or the Ibanez?

Compared to the Maxon OD808 it is a bit warmer/darker, less mid-boosted. Very well built and true bypass.

Wizard of Ozz":1jvt6lbk said:
Rex Rocker":1jvt6lbk said:
The Grid Slammer also looks interesting. How does it compare to the Maxon or the Ibanez?

Compared to the Maxon OD808 it is a bit warmer/darker, less mid-boosted. Very well built and true bypass.

Ok now i have to find clips of this.

I’ve owned over 90 boost type pedals (including almost all the ones mentioned so far) and these have been my 8 keepers:
Timmy (1st version)
Klon Centaur (silver original version)
Ethos TLE
Lazy J Cruiser
Spaceman Mercury IV
Friedman Buxom Boost
Friedman Golden Pearl
VFE Standout

I’d recommend the Timmy (1st version), Buxom boost, golden Pearl and Ethos TLE (it’s pricy though)

The VFE Standout is like a better Fortin 33 (it sent that and the grind and horizon precision drive packing), but it has a very specific sound that won’t work for everyone

The Lazy J Cruiser and Spaceman Mercury IV are incredible and super organic and tonally complex, but not suited for metal

Detroit1973":i4ofgpz4 said:
Shask":i4ofgpz4 said:
Detroit1973":i4ofgpz4 said:
Shask":i4ofgpz4 said:

1. Boss SD-1
5. MXR-GTOD
7. MXR MC402 Boost/OD
8. Maxon OD-9
9. Randall - MOR

So True! I'm really on the hunt now for the perfect clean boost & the perfect OD for my Soldano. If i ever get to a point where i find what i consider the perfect combos, then i'll sell all the others.

You reminded me of another clone I built.... TC Electronic Integrated Preamp. It is what the Fortin Grind and 33 are based off of. It is a +30db or so clean boost with bass and treble controls.

Shask":2nhufmp8 said:
Detroit1973":2nhufmp8 said:
Detroit1973":2nhufmp8 said:

1. Boss SD-1
5. MXR-GTOD
7. MXR MC402 Boost/OD
8. Maxon OD-9
9. Randall - MOR

You reminded me of another clone I built.... TC Electronic Integrated Preamp. It is what the Fortin Grind and 33 are based off of. It is a +30db or so clean boost with bass and treble controls.

I always wanted to try one of those. I used to have a lot of the T.C. Stuff a few years ago.

I’ve owned a metric shit ton of boosts that I’ve used for just this purpose....from cheap to boutique and I always end up back with a Maxon OD808.

It just feels and sounds RIGHT to me.

The great thing is that there A LOT of excellent options out there, so if you try enough, you will definitely find what works for YOU :thumbsup:

T

braintheory":1oagwiu3 said:
I’ve owned over 90 boost type pedals (including almost all the ones mentioned so far) and these have been my 8 keepers:
Timmy (1st version)
Ethos TLE
Lazy J Cruiser
Spaceman Mercury IV
Friedman Buxom Boost
Friedman Golden Pearl
VFE Standout

I’d recommend the Timmy (1st version), Buxom boost, golden Pearl and Ethos TLE (it’s pricy though)

The VFE Standout is like a better Fortin 33 (it sent that and the grind and horizon precision drive packing), but it has a very specific sound that won’t work for everyone

The Lazy J Cruiser and Spaceman Mercury IV are incredible and super organic and tonally complex, but not suited for metal

Tried the Standout, but liked the Dragon a bit better. I’d take either over any of the Fortin boxes. Better sound and better functionality.
:yes:

Wizard of Ozz":3fejf0ca said:
braintheory":3fejf0ca said:
Timmy (1st version)
Ethos TLE
Lazy J Cruiser
Spaceman Mercury IV
Friedman Buxom Boost
Friedman Golden Pearl
VFE Standout

Tried the Standout, but liked the Dragon a bit better. I’d take either over any of the Fortin boxes. Better sound and better functionality.
:yes:
Yeah the Dragon I felt was more versatile and would be the one to get over the Standout if I could only have one, but it couldn’t match the extreme tightness or attack of the Standout, which is all I really use it for anyway (it’s a very specialized pedal for me that I don’t use often)

I really liked the Dragon too, but I felt some of my other pedals could do what I liked about it and a bit better in some cases

The Thorpy Gunshot is also a fantastic pedal like you said. One of the most organic sounding ones out there. If I didn’t have my klon, it probably would’ve still been a keeper

I'm down to 3 pedals, a modded '81 SD-1, Maxon OD808, and MXR Custom Badass Modified overdrive (M77, the gold one). Different over drives work with different amps so always good to have a few around.

The MXR is my secret weapon. It's in the SD-1 territory with asymmetrical clipping but extra options for bass, treble, and switchable mid-hump. It kills with Marshall circuits, just a better SD-1 all-around. Sleeper pedal for sure. (If it wasn’t for that horrible MXR-side position power jack it would be perfect)

Maxon is the best TS-style (symmetrical clipping) for metal at least, it doesn't cut as much bass as a typical TS and just adds that perfect extra juiciness. Works with most amps equally well.

I've tried the Savage Drive and Grind but they are more like EQ boosts/cuts that don't gel well with Marshall style circuits in my experience but probably better with Mesa/5150 etc.

Really into the - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Version 2 - lately.

It's pretty versatile with the 7 voices. 14 voices with Drive 2. Really practical for matching up with various guitars and amps.

The boost / Drive 2 on this version is more controllable and useful. Perfect for the liquid lead sound and feel.

Works well with all my amps and guitars. Works equally well with my NMV amps and Highgain amps. Useful as a overdrive or boost.

The sound and feel is really nice. Might be the best feel of any overdrive I have used.

Highly recommend checking this one out.

I just replaced my Maxon OD808 with a Friedman Buxom Boost. Works really well with my Splawn Nitro. Havent tried it with my other amp yet.

My favorites are:
Savage Drive
Strymon Riverside
Lovepedal Eternity (old plain white box)

I switch between those 3, but I stack them with a Walrus Audio Mesner. Absolutely awesome low gain pedal that stacks really well. Can’t say enough good things about the Mesner.

I also currently have the Grind and the Standout. I could never get the Standout to work for me.

Interestingly enough, although I've gone through so many pedals, I've never actually owned a Tube Screamer. ha.

Back