Mesa Stiletto Stage II or Ceriatone Jubilee 2555?

Bad.Seed

Rig-Talkers, I have a chance at a Mesa Stiletto Trident Stage II, or a Ceriatone 2555 Jubilee for the same price, and I'm feeling frisky.

I mainly play thrash/crossover metal in E standard through V30 or K100 speakers. I've been curious about the Stiletto for years, never gotten to play in person. Always been curious about Jubilees, but have also read they're quite different from the Marshall Jubilee.

Thoughts / Insights / Prayers?

Buy some earplugs if you go with the Stiletto!

I've only owned the Deuce, (twice). One of my favorite amps ever. Badass, loud and proud. Grinds nicely with a boost, (mine LOVED the Wylde OD).

Jubilee with a Boost would be killer. I loved my Jubilee (i had the slash sig one) with a Green Rhino it just flat out destroyed. I only tune a whole step down but it was thick.

Man, there is one vid out there that has a Stiletto and it just RIPS. But, some that have owned them say they are kinda harsh sounding. Not sure what that means. I've had 7 original Jubes and one reissue 2555x, the reissue is spot on, only difference might be at high volume where the original iron wins. I have played a few Ceriatones that were used at Music Go Rounds, one the AFD and a Jube clone. I didn't think the Jube clone sounded much like a real one. It was nice, but didn't have the growl of the Marshall.
If you have the cash to grab one of the 25w Jube reissues I'd go for one instead of the Ceriatone. Unless you need more than 25w of course.

I used to own a Stiletto Trident Stage II and thought it was very good, but just had other stuff that I felt was better. I say get a jubilee instead (or a late 70’s jmp2203) unless you need the extra flexibility and clean channel of the stiletto

I have a Stiletto Duece (Stage I) and the conventional wisdom about them being REALLY BRIGHT amps is true, but the low end comes out as you open it up and get the power section cooking. I like mine, especially paired with other darker amps (like a Dual Rec), but it's solid on it's own. If you aren't able to play the Stiletto at loud volumes it may be underwhelming for you.

No experience with the Marshall, but wanted to give some first hand positive experience on the Stiletto.

the recluse":1ra8oiof said:
I have a Stiletto Duece (Stage I) and the conventional wisdom about them being REALLY BRIGHT amps is true, but the low end comes out as you open it up and get the power section cooking. I like mine, especially paired with other darker amps (like a Dual Rec), but it's solid on it's own. If you aren't able to play the Stiletto at loud volumes it may be underwhelming for you.

No experience with the Marshall, but wanted to give some first hand positive experience on the Stiletto.

I agree with the Stiletto comments. You can tame the brightness, but loud as fuck is when it cuts loose. I tubed my last one with JJ 6CA7's, and that amp was an absolute beast. But, low volume home stuff, forget it. You need to open it up to enjoy it.

If it were me, and solely looking for an amp for old-school thrash/crossover, (DRI comes to mind, Thrash Zone is a masterpiece, IMO), a JCM800 and a boost, a DSL50, or even a Laney GH50L would be my go-to. The Stiletto, not so much. It's too bold and beefy. You need a Marshall flavor, (and the Laney will do it in spades, CHEAP used, and absolute workhorses).

Thanks for the insight folks. Seems to confirm what I was worried about with the ceriatone not really being true to the original. I should have bought one of the 2555x reissues when they blue them out a couple years ago.

As far as the stiletto, how loud are we talking to open it up? My band practices regularly and plays shows usually once a month or so. We play pretty loud, so I'm guessing it won't be an issue. I really have Marshall tones covered, but Im always looking for new toys.

Bad.Seed":r36mwmtg said:
Thanks for the insight folks. Seems to confirm what I was worried about with the ceriatone not really being true to the original. I should have bought one of the 2555x reissues when they blue them out a couple years ago.

As far as the stiletto, how loud are we talking to open it up? My band practices regularly and plays shows usually once a month or so. We play pretty loud, so I'm guessing it won't be an issue. I really have Marshall tones covered, but Im always looking for new toys.

Stiletto = Loud as shit! It's your typical Mesa, with insane volume. It's a monster that pushes with brute force!

If it's like the typical Mesa, in my experience it will sound fine at moderate volumes, it's just that the taper of the volume makes it hard to actually set the volume at that moderate amount. You'll just have to tap the pot to adjust it because it will go from way too quiet to BLAST YOU OUT OF THE ROOM LOUD with just small adjustments.

I'm super tempted, although this is yet another piece of gear that I definitely don't need. The ceriatone is off the table, as it sold this morning.

Definitely still kick the idea around though. If I don't love it, I could return at no cost to myself.

Would everyone here consider $850 shipped a fair deal on the Stiletto Trident? I figure if I decide to sell it down the road, I'd probably be able to recoup losses on it.

cardinal":2ajmi2ij said:
If it's like the typical Mesa, in my experience it will sound fine at moderate volumes, it's just that the taper of the volume makes it hard to actually set the volume at that moderate amount. You'll just have to tap the pot to adjust it because it will go from way too quiet to BLAST YOU OUT OF THE ROOM LOUD with just small adjustments.

Oh yeah, I've owned my fair share of Rectifiers. It goes from fizz city to to blowing your balls back up inside you if not adjusting the volume with great care.

I can definitely deal with that though. The last few gigs we played, we were definitely the loudest band, but were still well balanced, so I'm guessing this Stiletto would be ok.

Are you sure it's a stage II? I didn't think they made stage II Tridents. I have a stage II deuce and love it. Its volume taper is fine and it sounds fine at lower volumes. You just EQ to taste in regards to the top end. As you get louder you need more top end. If the Trident is actually a stage I, I would pass. A pedal into CH 1 on crunch would sound good for thrash but CH 2 on a stage 1, for tight higher gain is useless IMO.

skoora":3pveavwj said:
Are you sure it's a stage II? I didn't think they made stage II Tridents. I have a stage II deuce and love it. Its volume taper is fine and it sounds fine at lower volumes. You just EQ to taste in regards to the top end. As you get louder you need more top end. If the Trident is actually a stage I, I would pass. A pedal into CH 1 on crunch would sound good for thrash but CH 2 on a stage 1, for tight higher gain is useless IMO.

Yes, in the pictures it shows labeled as a trident with the 3 swords by the mesa logo, and has the "II" above the input jacks.

Good to know. I'm think I might just sell a drum kit to make the funds back, as I told myself no more out of pocket purchases until after Feb 2019, or at least, that's what I told myself.... :LOL: :LOL:

skoora":zila2zal said:

They made a stage 2 for sure. I had a Stage 1 and I agree the crunch channel was really good but the two lead channels weren't the best. I kind of want to get a stage 2 at some point.

LP Freak":2c1byhx1 said:
Well if you’re looking for more of a Marshall tone it’s not really in the Mesa.

Its got a British flavor, but its definitely more Mesa. It's one of my favorite Mesa Boogies, but I've always wanted to test drive an Electra Dyne.

Never tried a Stiletto but the ElectaDyne was great. Huge, meaty and dynamic tone. In the ballpark of a JCM800 or VH4 channel 2 or SLO Crunch channel, etc. It didn’t necessarily sound just like any of those (way more bass than the Marshall and smoother, for example), but it’s the same concept of a thick, moderate overdriven tone that’s responsive to pick attack etc.

cardinal":2x2plmy5 said:
Never tried a Stiletto but the ElectaDyne was great. Huge, meaty and dynamic tone. In the ballpark of a JCM800 or VH4 channel 2 or SLO Crunch channel, etc. It didn’t necessarily sound just like any of those (way more bass than the Marshall and smoother, for example), but it’s the same concept of a thick, moderate overdriven tone that’s responsive to pick attack etc.

Electra Dynes are LOUD as all hell as well. They don't have a lot of gain but take boost pedals well. Most of the Mesa Stiletto hate you read on forums over the years is the users inability to grasp what a treble and presence knob actually do. You turn them down and,,,,,AND....wait for it....it lowers the high end. Wow, imagine that!

UPDATE: Picked up the stiletto. GC dropped the price $50 and is offering free shipping on used items right now. It was a sign from the gear God's.

Back