Your Ideal "Budget" Rig?

Bad.Seed

So, I'm filling in for a band that's playing Baltimore and Long Island this weekend. Was trying to decide what gear to bring, and since those areas are sketchy as hell and we're just taking a van, I didn't want to bring any prized possessions with me So I am between:

Rig #1
Peavey 6505+
Peavey K85 412 Butcher Cab
LTD Viper 500S w/ Duncan Black Winters

Rig#2
Peavey XXX
Same Peavey Cab
Schecter Solo II ATX w/ Duncan Alpha Omega

My total investment into either of these rigs is under $1k, and I know they will sound fantastic

So it got me thinking, what would rig talkers' Ideal "Budget" (Under $1K) Rig be. Talking realistic used market values. Interested to see what everyone comes up with.

I'd use the XXX.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who toured often & would only bring cheap gear on the road....he used a Crate GX130C or The Ampeg VH140C a Les Paul Studio he got on Craigslist for $500.00 & as a back up he would bring a LTD Viper.

Detroit1973":ucx25cwb said:
I'd use the XXX.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who toured often & would only bring cheap gear on the road....he used a Crate GX130C or The Ampeg VH140C a Les Paul Studio he got on Craigslist for $500.00 & as a back up he would bring a LTD Viper.

For me, it all depends. If I'm going cities where I know people, and know where I'll be staying, I'll bring the goods. I brought my Diezel Herbert and Gibson R8 to Altoona and Pittsburgh last year and didn't think twice about it.

But I don't have enough contacts in Bmore and NYC to feel comfortable bringing the big boys.

Already built mine from the used market. Most people won't like it because no tubes but it sounds crushing and I don't care. I feel that if I was gigging this would still be my backup/budget rig anyway.

Quilter 101 mini - $150
Amptweaker TM Pro - $225
Keeley D&M - $229

Won't include the cab because it was not budget but I did previously own a Peavey MS412 with V30 x 75 that sounded amazing for like $200 or $300. Could also probably get away with a boost for half the price as the Keeley if I wanted.

Include a $100 pedalboard and it could be right under $1k. Easy, portable and sounds killer.

Bad.Seed":11i8ozun said:
Detroit1973":11i8ozun said:
I'd use the XXX.

For me, it all depends. If I'm going cities where I know people, and know where I'll be staying, I'll bring the goods. I brought my Diezel Herbert and Gibson R8 to Altoona and Pittsburgh last year and didn't think twice about it.

But I don't have enough contacts in Bmore and NYC to feel comfortable bringing the big boys.

Valid Point. I only have 1 Rig so i would have no choice but to bring it.

I'd go with rig2 as I prefer the XXX to the 6505+. They're great amps, especially when you consider how cheap they are. I've had one for years, and I've never had any trouble with it.

Yeah I'd do the XXX Rig as well.

For me a nice budget rig would be Triple XXX/JSX, maybe one of those Jet City 212's that came w/V30's and a Zoom MS-70CDR

For metal I think the 6505/XXX would be hard to beat wouldn't they. Hell, "budget" rig aside, they're probably still hard to beat.

Fender Deluxe with a Boss Blues Driver, a decent delay and any Mexican Tele or even a classic vibe Squire. I still have money left over for beer.

I used to buy Crate Stealths for cheap...like 149-229....and re sell on ebay. I used one as part of my rig after I sold a modded Marshall and was waiting for its replacement to arrive. So that weekend it was:
Crate Stealth-179
Fender Tonemaster 4x12-250
Pedalboard-200
Charvel MIJ SoCal-400.
Those Stealths are little cheap sleeper amps. 2 gain channels, clean, reverb, loop....

Speaking of budget, just landed this xxx ii for $270 all in tonight.

woa09I6.jpeg

tt9fxsE.jpeg

triple wreck + whatever boost you like + delay + stereo chorus into anybody else's clean stereo rig. Super budget!

If I'm going amp head and cab. I would get used Peavey VTM for $3-400, some sort of boost (Proco rat, Tube Screamer mini, DS1, etc) $50(Used) then a Harley Benton 2x12 or something in the same price range from used market. Throw in a cheap delay or reverb. Could probably be done for 5-600 hundred.

For a pedalboard rig Revv 3, BE-OD, or something similar $200, EHX Magnum 44 $150 and a 1x12 Orange cab $370 and some sort of cheap reverb/delay

Bad.Seed":1d030z6t said:
Detroit1973":1d030z6t said:
I'd use the XXX.

Triple XXX for me!

I'd probably try the following rig.....
Boss Katana 100, Boss GA-FC foot controller, and I'd use the remaining half of budget to get the best used PRS SE I could find.

I've got my buddy's XXX in my studio and I've been using to track guitars for an album I'm doing. I've owned an XXL since 03'....really not a huge difference between the heads.

What do you guys hear in differences between the XXX/6505's? And I suppose more so, how does an XXX compare to a block letter 5150? I've really been wanting to get my hands on a block letter for a while. I dig the XXX for the most part, aside from the clean channel.

(Sorry to derail, bro!)

RevDrucifer":29q9tmc6 said:
I've got my buddy's XXX in my studio and I've been using to track guitars for an album I'm doing. I've owned an XXL since 03'....really not a huge difference between the heads.

What do you guys hear in differences between the XXX/6505's? And I suppose more so, how does an XXX compare to a block letter 5150? I've really been wanting to get my hands on a block letter for a while. I dig the XXX for the most part, aside from the clean channel.

(Sorry to derail, bro!)

No worries, I'm all about XXX love threads. It was my favorite amp for about 5 years until I picked up my Splawn Quickrod. I still love plugging into it often, especially with a 5751 Tube in V2 to clean things up a bit.

Back