NAD: Engl Savage 120

nightlight

I really lucked out on this one. Raised a chunk of change after selling a Mark V:25. Great amp, but not my cup of tea. Used the funds to finance an Engl Savage in like new condition.

The only thing was that after I agreed to a price and the guy finally sent me pictures, I realised that the back panel was missing. Luckily, when I didn't make a fuss about it and just politely suggested he should lower the price as a result, he agreed. I'll use that discount to pay someone to make me a new panel.

First impressions are that the amp is remarkably polite. Compared to my Diezel VH4, the Engl is so easy to dial in and while aggressive, it's so easy to keep it focused and tight. I also like the fact that the controls are so responsive and the master volume is very easy to use. No need for fine adjustments.

My third German amp, really stoked about it. Can't wait to create some profiles with it and share them. I just got a new E906 mic that should be up to the task.

Congrats :rock:

Anytime I read a thread involving the Savage 120, I get pumped! One of my all time favorite amps :rock: I loved the way the two gain knobs interact. It allowed me to really fine tune the gain structure. I also love the fact that no boost is needed. That is the tightest fastest responding amp I've ever owned. It's almost too tight; almost :LOL: :LOL:

Polite :shocked: Polished is a word I'd maybe use, but polite the Savage is not. If it's coming off as polite, you need to keep fiddling with the knobs and buttons ;)

Enjoy it man, it's one beast of an amp.

Enjoy! I love my Savage so much, as far as I'm concerned it's the end-game for my rhythm tone. So aggressive and vicious, yet tight and controlled. My rhythm tone is just chunky, in-your-face, and aggressive.

Have never played one but really want to.

My friend out of state has one and said he loves it but the low end is weak. Any truth to that?

maddnotez":1oh9r49t said:

My friend out of state has one and said he loves it but the low end is weak. Any truth to that?

Low end on mine was in the chest thump category; very very satisfying. Not Herbert, or Uber deep, but punchy & thumping. They revised the OT post 2012 which might account for some of that.

Congrats! Killer amp.

Remember the channel 3/4 gain controls are additive: Turn them both up for max destruction.

maddnotez":2ij4d5jt said:

I found the 60 to be weak, but not the 120. The low end is very firm, like getting punched in the chest.

maddnotez":1wkv2lqg said:

It's not Uberschall or Recto low end thump... if you want that low end power, check out the SE (Special Edition E670). That's has all the low end anyone will ever need. The Savage 120 has a deep button (on/off)... I wish it had a pot instead to fine tune the low end.

Congrats. Always have wanted to try the upper tier Engl lineup from the Fireball 60 (only engl I've owned).

MetalHeadMike":1882v4a3 said:
Polite :shocked: Polished is a word I'd maybe use, but polite the Savage is not. If it's coming off as polite, you need to keep fiddling with the knobs and buttons ;)

Enjoy it man, it's one beast of an amp.

You are correct, Sir, it is definitely polished. What I meant was "polite" was more in terms of my reaction to being able to dial in an aggressive sound, but things didn't become uncontrollable - e.g. ridiculous squealing and noise. To use another adjective, it is refined. The responsiveness of the controls, particularly the master volume is really something else.

Wizard of Ozz":1882v4a3 said:
Congrats! Killer amp.

Remember the channel 3/4 gain controls are additive: Turn them both up for max destruction.

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Wizard of Ozz":1882v4a3 said:
maddnotez":1882v4a3 said:

It's not Uberschall or Recto low end thump... if you want that low end power, check out the SE (Special Edition E670). That's has all the low end anyone will ever need. The Savage 120 has a deep button (on/off)... I wish it had a pot instead to fine tune the low end.

Yeah, a depth control would have been great to go along with the two presence knobs.

I really messed around with all the buttons and knobs yesterday and it is amazing how you could really dial in things on a micro level. I like that tweakability.

How are you guys controlling yours? Did you buy the midi module or a foot controller? Or is it sufficient to just use the footswitch input jacks?

Wizard of Ozz":2o7d6lm9 said:
maddnotez":2o7d6lm9 said:

What else can you say about the differences between the Savage 120 and the SE?

Cool looking amp. 120 watts from a pair of 6550's = badass.

What does the Hi Balance knob do? Looks like it could be a parametric but I don't know..

maddnotez":17pzr8qa said:
Wizard of Ozz":17pzr8qa said:
maddnotez":17pzr8qa said:

Savage 120 is more old-school modified Marshall-y (not a clone by any means) 2203 tone. Tighter, smaller, more focused sound footprint. The SE is more modern all the way around, and way more feature laden. To get a good idea of the Savage 120 listen "Legacy of Kings: Hammerfall"... Savage 120 all over that album. The Savage 120 is not a 120W amp... it's more like 80W... so it crunches up and compresses a bit faster too.

If you like the modern, chuggy thump, and big low-end... but the availability to dial in other clean -> crunch tones... the SE is the go to. I mainly liked the Savage 120 channel 4, rough mode, contour on. That's was the apex of it's tone for me.

midnightlaundry":3rlevhw2 said:
Cool looking amp. 120 watts from a pair of 6550's = badass.

What does the Hi Balance knob do? Looks like it could be a parametric but I don't know..

Fine tunes the high-end treble response. Like an active hi-pass filter somewhat.

Wizard of Ozz":2or562mv said:
maddnotez":2or562mv said:
Wizard of Ozz":2or562mv said:
maddnotez":2or562mv said:

Savage 120 is more old-school modified Marshall-y (not a clone by any means) 2203 tone. Tighter, smaller, more focused sound footprint. The SE is more modern all the way around, and way more feature laden. To get a good idea of the Savage 120 listen "Legacy of Kings: Hammerfall"... Savage 120 all over that album. The Savage 120 is not a 120W amp... it's more like 80W... so it crunches up and compresses a bit faster too.

If you like the modern, chuggy thump, and big low-end... but the availability to dial in other clean -> crunch tones... the SE is the go to. I mainly liked the Savage 120 channel 4, rough mode, contour on. That's was the apex of it's tone for me.
I agree with everything said here. I’d also just add that the SE has unique way in which it’s bottom end hits you that I have not heard matched in any other amp yet

Back