NAD: Engl Savage 120

Wizard of Ozz":1xa06b48 said:
midnightlaundry":1xa06b48 said:
Cool looking amp. 120 watts from a pair of 6550's = badass.

What does the Hi Balance knob do? Looks like it could be a parametric but I don't know..

Fine tunes the high-end treble response. Like an active hi-pass filter somewhat.
My personal opinion is to just leave it at noon and be done with it. But, I suppose "leave it at noon" is applicable to almost the whole amp. It's absurd how good it sounds with zero tweaking.

misterspockyall":3cfmcw0b said:
Wizard: I’ve had a savage on my wishlist for years, Hammerfall tone is making me GAS hard lol

If you get the chance, DO IT! The Savage 120 is sick! I agree with Wizard in that the Savage is a nod to old-school Marshall type tones. Definitely it's own thing, but it's not an ultra modern sounding high gain tone, and that's why I like it so much. You WILL NOT need a clean boost to tighten this amp. Just thinking about it makes me want my old Savage back sometimes :doh:

misterspockyall":2lfpdleu said:
Wizard: I’ve had a savage on my wishlist for years, Hammerfall tone is making me GAS hard lol

Yes! One of my favs as well... and an excellent example of the Savage tone. Tight, bright, cutting, and fast.

MetalHeadMike":3nzcmvtw said:
misterspockyall":3nzcmvtw said:

If you get the chance, DO IT! The Savage 120 is sick! I agree with Wizard in that the Savage is a nod to old-school Marshall type tones. Definitely it's own thing, but it's not an ultra sounding modern high gain tone and that's why I like it so much. You WILL NOT need a clean boost to tighten this amp. Just thinking about it makes me want my old Savage back sometimes :doh:

Me too. I never heard anything more about that Savage 120 MK2... in all black with the chrome panel???

Wizard of Ozz":17vos3uw said:
MetalHeadMike":17vos3uw said:
misterspockyall":17vos3uw said:

If you get the chance, DO IT! The Savage 120 is sick! I agree with Wizard in that the Savage is a nod to old-school Marshall type tones. Definitely it's own thing, but it's not an ultra sounding modern high gain tone and that's why I like it so much. You WILL NOT need a clean boost to tighten this amp. Just thinking about it makes me want my old Savage back sometimes :doh:

Me too. I never heard anything more about that Savage 120 MK2... in all black with the chrome panel???
My original intention was to wait and pick up a Savage 2, but they announced it at the beginning of the year and haven't acknowledged it since. All I know for sure is that the gain controls are now separated, and it's MIDI controllable (maybe directly, because the first Savage already was controllable). So I bought a MK1 and I don't regret it.

thrashinbatman":3pv5x38w said:
Wizard of Ozz":3pv5x38w said:
MetalHeadMike":3pv5x38w said:
misterspockyall":3pv5x38w said:

My original intention was to wait and pick up a Savage 2, but they announced it at the beginning of the year and haven't acknowledged it since. All I know for sure is that the gain controls are now separated, and it's MIDI controllable (maybe directly, because the first Savage already was controllable). So I bought a MK1 and I don't regret it.
I'm also very curious with how that new announced Savage 60 will differ from the old version.
If they'd make the gain boosts footswitchable as well as the fx-loop, lower the noise a tad, they'd have a winner.

Congrats. Some great sounding albums were recorded with that amp.

Mixed with Boss GX-700:

Mixed with Peavey 5150:

Snave":yxujiyd5 said:
Congrats. Some great sounding albums were recorded with that amp.

Mixed with Boss GX-700:

Mixed with Peavey 5150:

thrashinbatman":yxujiyd5 said:
IMO, THE Savage tone:

Thanks for the links, going to check these out tonight!

thrashinbatman":yxujiyd5 said:
Wizard of Ozz":yxujiyd5 said:
MetalHeadMike":yxujiyd5 said:
misterspockyall":yxujiyd5 said:

Is midi control the main new feature of the Savage 2? Any other bells and whistles?

No idea, because as far as I know the only info about it is in one video announcing it that's in German. Maybe when they give it a proper announcement we'll know for sure.

Back