1978 Marshall 2203 Demo Video

Racerxrated":3s448lo0 said:
That's the sound of Rock right there.

A good Marshall and a good boost pedal...all you need.

This exactly! No other opinions needed! :LOL: :LOL:
I sold my "77" JMP last year and that was a horrible mistake :doh:

SQUAREHEAD":kbw4j5zu said:
lespaul6":kbw4j5zu said:
The voltage was higher on the horizontal input models.... the other 2203's were all the same, just cosmetic changes in 80.. they had those low volt 50 watters in the seventies. I had a late seventies 2203 and it sounded like horse shit compared to my reissue 2203- so you can't go by year.

Wow, I have never tried the re-issue 2203X, but they do sound great ?
I wonder what transformers they use…

Yes, they sound great. Play around with new tubes and bias and you should be good to go. I think the reissue series are the best amps marshall makes right now.

Transformers are made by Dagnall

My stock (though EL34) '79 2203 sounds fantastic. I took a screenshot of the video to get the settings and will try it out on mine tomorrow when Mrs. Lee is away.

Ok, I couldn't get my 2203 to sound like that with the settings I was able to see in one of his other videos on that amp. Maybe with a slight boost, pretty close, but mine sounds way darker at those settings, and I don't think I clipped my bright cap. I can get pretty close with my own settings, which are pretty different from his. My 1987xl, however, will match that tone all day long and his '72 50w in the other video.

LP Freak":bs5mwtnq said:
He’s boosting it in that video

Up to 1:02 it's just the guitar and P/U at 1:03 he starts boosting with the TS-9 and the Dirty Fingers at 16K is pushing alot too....and I think he is using vintage 30 speakers in the Marshall cab but I'm not sure. He lists them in the other vid in the trace elliot speaker cab as V30's for sure.
Here's V30 speakers. the black LP Dirty Fingers, and a custom TKI Lazeman 808 OD pedal

Rick Lee":1bepn8st said:
Ok, I couldn't get my 2203 to sound like that with the settings I was able to see in one of his other videos on that amp. Maybe with a slight boost, pretty close, but mine sounds way darker at those settings, and I don't think I clipped my bright cap. I can get pretty close with my own settings, which are pretty different from his. My 1987xl, however, will match that tone all day long and his '72 50w in the other video.

thats what my JMP sounded like too... dark and lazy. I didnt alter the brightening circuit either... just is what it is. :rock:

I am honestly impressed with the Dirty Fingers P/U it sounds pretty open and raw for 16K as compared to a JB(16K).

psychodave":1xk1emay said:
You can’t count out the 1980 JMP either. Mine is bone stock and crushes. Here I’m using a Klon clone out front. Loaded with original GE 6550’s and Chinese preamp tubes. That’s it. I’ve had a bunch of JMP‘S but all had EL34’s and I never cared for them. This one changed my opinion.

https://youtu.be/e6Uj_DBTe58

Wow, that crushes.. I like your clips of that and the Cusak Screamer more than I do 4000$ amps. Maybe that's why my 82 800 goes nowhere. She's beastly! Which is your Klon clone?

lespaul6":1uowaayf said:
Rick Lee":1uowaayf said:

thats what my JMP sounded like too... dark and lazy. I didnt alter the brightening circuit either... just is what it is. :rock:

Amp to amp they all have slight variances.. I think POTS and how they react also affect it, you might have to crank the presence for example. The trick with those is as the volume goes up, you can open that presence wide open for more gain and it doesn't sound piercing because the whole power section has opened up.

Well, I drunk lowball-bid on a '78 JMP 1959 last night and it was accepted. So I'll have a new one to A/B with my 2203 next week.

There is very little diff between the JMP and 2203's anyway.. couple of part swaps and nothing is ever consistent anyway Marshall to Marshall. I feel like I can get any of them sounding good.. even the "lame" or "woofy" ones.

The one I got last night has 6550s and my 2203 has EL34s. I am looking forward to extensive A/B'ing.

Rick Lee":1cof1y6q said:
The one I got last night has 6550s and my 2203 has EL34s. I am looking forward to extensive A/B'ing.

As I’m sure you know, a 1959 is a lot different than a 2203. The 1959 will make your ears bleed.

Also, in my clip, I’m using a Ceriatone Klon clone.

psychodave":z8650jck said:
Rick Lee":z8650jck said:

As I’m sure you know, a 1959 is a lot different than a 2203. The 1959 will make your ears bleed.

I have two other 1959 clones I built. I play them at full volume all the time while wearing earplugs.

Rick Lee":3iyuv0rk said:
psychodave":3iyuv0rk said:
Rick Lee":3iyuv0rk said:

I have two other 1959 clones I built. I play them at full volume all the time while wearing earplugs.

Awesome. Just make sure to always protect your ears. :thumbsup:

SQUAREHEAD":kf63b0ih said:
lespaul6":kf63b0ih said:
The voltage was higher on the horizontal input models.... the other 2203's were all the same, just cosmetic changes in 80.. they had those low volt 50 watters in the seventies. I had a late seventies 2203 and it sounded like horse shit compared to my reissue 2203- so you can't go by year.

Wow, I have never tried the re-issue 2203X, but they do sound great ?
I wonder what transformers they use…

2003 JCM800 Reissue clips

Back