Attenuate with Volume pedal

MrDowntown":2yay9dge said:
Who's done it?
Does it work well?

Attenuating usually refers to the power section. Using a volume pedal between the amp and speaker wouldn’t be a good idea.

I used a volume pedal I made in the loop with a midi controller to balance volumes on shared volume control channel switchers. So good for adjusting volume, but as noted above, a volume knob cannot attenuate a power amp output

Ah...ok...thought that was the case.
Saw a YT video, fellow said he was attenuating with an EB volume pedal. Surely he was riding volume only not power.

Thanks guys

I built a MV box for $10 in parts to run in the loop of my 1987xl. Works pretty well. I also have a Fryette Power Station, but it's way more expensive.

Tried a Jettenuator once...it was ok..I guess. Only kept for a few days and returned it.

Is the fryette, or rock crusher much, much better.

MrDowntown":2ngnawfe said:
Tried a Jettenuator once...it was ok..I guess. Only kept for a few days and returned it.

Is the fryette, or rock crusher much, much better.
The PS2 is probably the most transparent you’ll find. It still isn’t 100% though.

MrDowntown":26xau66j said:

When I got my Jettenuator, it started smoking as soon as I plugged my SLO into it. I called Mike and he said it was really designed for 50w amps. Ooops.

Metlupass2":1s4k3l3r said:
It's like a loop volume if your master is super touchy with no gradual taper like a 5150 or 6505.

I do something similar with a peavey bravo who's taper is absolute crap from 0 to 1 1/2

It's not "attenuating", it only lower the signal the output stage receives.

A real attenuation would be to lower the signal the output stages produce (pi, power tubes and output transformer).

Rick Lee":3nvj4boh said:
MrDowntown":3nvj4boh said:

When I got my Jettenuator, it started smoking as soon as I plugged my SLO into it. I called Mike and he said it was really designed for 50w amps. Ooops.

I had a jettenuator and I once plugged it backward. It smoked :LOL: :LOL:
but it still worked

I used a Steve Vai Morley in the loop of some amps. It actually worked pretty well, as I could crank the amp a bit, and use the pedal for a master volume. I wouldn't say it attenuated, but it still worked well. I'm about to go back to all pedals and ditch the RP1000, and probably dig it out and start using it again!

Back