NAD - Silver Jubilee mini head

ledvedder

I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet. I played it for about 2 hours tonight through my GB/G12H30 loaded 212. With both my Seth Lover loaded Les Paul and my Wolfgang. I was trying to find a sound that I really enjoyed, but I have to say, I couldn't find it. I fiddled with the knobs and kept trying. Maybe there's something in this amp that I'm just not finding yet?

Attachments

• IMG_20181211_214751.jpg
    IMG_20181211_214751.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 1,258
Here are some tips, that worked for me with the many Jubes I've owned.....
1. Gotta boost it. Just like any 800, a good boost pedal works wonders.
2. Max the output master, and bring the lead master to taste. My eq settings may not work for you, but I always max the presence and start with treble at 0 and bring it up slowly. That gives me the 'bite' that I like with Marshalls. Bass 4-6, mids 4-6. Rhythm clip, I ran on or off depending on my mood lol.
But you HAVE to throw an SD1 or tubescreamer or similar in front, to get the goods from that or any stock Marshall, with some exceptions like 2205/10, KK, AFD, etc. Also, max the gain. It will thin out the tone if you set it below 8 or so.

I instantly loved my 2555x from the first chord. Briefly plugged into a mini at Chicago Music Exchange and thought it was similar just not quite as huge sounding.

Couple of things: the eq on these is crazy responsive and it may take you a bit find the sweet spots. Everything at noon works but a little turn goes a long way to finding your tone. The midrange has a huge sweep and treble and presence seem to really affect how it sits.

These amps seem a bit more cab dependent than some of the other Marshalls I’ve spent time with. I still want to try the matching 212 or 412 but I’m digging it with my 1960b loaded with Weber grey wolves and Legacies. It growls like crazy. Through my Mesa 212 the V30 gives it more bite but it loses some warmth.

I actually prefer mine without a boost but as said above, with the right one it rips. Really nice with a Timmy.

I don’t like gain maxed as it gets a bit mushy at least to my ears. Depending on the guitar I usually go 12:00 - 2:00 but then again I go for more vintage tones with mine.

It could be that it’s just not the amp for you but tweak a bit more or maybe consider bringing it somewhere where you can try different cabs/spkrs.

I'd say tweak. I went 2 rounds with that amp. First time, hated it. Second time, I took a different approach, and absolutely loved it!

As mentioned, output master has to be high, lead master is your volume. Gain quite high, (I ran mine at about 2-3 o'clock), NO RHYTHM CLIP, and a boost pedal.

Many have their opinions/preference, but I found that the rhythm clip was the enemy. It adds instant fizz, and unpleasantness. It's funny, my first time owning one, I thought it was loose, flabby and hideous sounding. Second go around, and dialing it in, it was tight and focused. And, I never found it bright. I found it to be a JCM800 flavor, but warmer and darker. Mine sounded plenty beefy. It's a small amp, but you still need some volume, it just has an earlier sweet spot.

napalmdeath":13i49t06 said:
I'd say tweak. I went 2 rounds with that amp. First time, hated it. Second time, I took a different approach, and absolutely loved it!

As mentioned, output master has to be high, lead master is your volume. Gain quite high, (I ran mine at about 2-3 o'clock), NO RHYTHM CLIP, and a boost pedal.

Many have their opinions/preference, but I found that the rhythm clip was the enemy. It adds instant fizz, and unpleasantness. It's funny, my first time owning one, I thought it was loose, flabby and hideous sounding. Second go around, and dialing it in, it was tight and focused. And, I never found it bright. I found it to be a JCM800 flavor, but warmer and darker. Mine sounded plenty beefy. It's a small amp, but you still need some volume, it just has an earlier sweet spot.
That's exactly how I'd describe what I was hearing and feeling last night. Loose and flabby. I'll have to try a boost into it.

ledvedder":27dttbzt said:
napalmdeath":27dttbzt said:

That's exactly how I'd describe what I was hearing and feeling last night. Loose and flabby. I'll have to try a boost into it.
If I were someone who hated boosts, and refused to use one I'd own no Stock Marshalls whatsoever. The rhythm clip is ok IF you run it loud, lower volumes bring the fizz. But run the gain higher or it's thin city. This is the only Marshall IMO that sounds killer with V30s. In fact the first V30 made, the Marshall Vintage, was designed FOR the Jubilee.

I've not owned this particular amp, but I'd say from my experience with many others to try an od. I honestly feel the same as you in regards to the "loose and flabby" statement with almost every amp I've owned, with the exception of a select few, and without a little goose from a ts9, Timmy or similar pedal, they would all have gone down the road. To put my statement into context though, I'm talking strictly from a metal perspective for the most part.

ledvedder":1bjrruvv said:
I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet. I played it for about 2 hours tonight through my GB/G12H30 loaded 212. With both my Seth Lover loaded Les Paul and my Wolfgang. I was trying to find a sound that I really enjoyed, but I have to say, I couldn't find it. I fiddled with the knobs and kept trying. Maybe there's something in this amp that I'm just not finding yet?

First, Seriously changes the tubes. That made all the difference in my appreciation of this amp.
Personally I put this kit https://www.thetubestore.com/marshall-2 ... um-package.
But everything depends on what you are looking for as sound.

I also noticed that the sound changes a lot depending on the cab and speakers use, more than the other amps I got .

Jeff13th":3r5837r0 said:
ledvedder":3r5837r0 said:

First, Seriously changes the tubes. That made all the difference in my appreciation of this amp.
Personally I put this kit https://www.thetubestore.com/marshall-2 ... um-package.

I also noticed that the sound changes a lot depending on the cab and speakers use, more than the other amps I got .

Uh.. No.. The stock power tubes are Tungsol EL34Bs, and are fantastic. The Tubestore's "preferred series" tubes are their own label, made for them in China, and they hype them up like the cats meow, to sell more, (at higher prices, mind you). They're no better than a Ruby-labeled Shuguang, bright and sterile.

However, I put a Mullard CV4004 in V1, JJ's in 2&3 in mine. Leave the power tubes alone, (if they're still using Tungsols).

ledvedder":1x0miler said:
I'll have to open it up to see what tubes are in it, as well as check the bias.

It's fixed, non-adjustable. The only real way power tubes would make a considerable difference, is a pair that gets you closer to 70%. I can tell you from my experience, that the plate voltage is under 300, and the tubes I had in mine, (stock), ran under 60%. Somebody out there needs to do a bias mod to make it adjustable, as I'd be anxious to read and hear the results!

Here's the thread from my first experience.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=183412&hilit=Jubilee

And here's my second time. Polar opposites.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=198726&hilit=Mini+jubilee

napalmdeath":1qo2r41f said:
Jeff13th":1qo2r41f said:
ledvedder":1qo2r41f said:

Uh.. No.. The stock power tubes are Tungsol EL34Bs, and are fantastic. The Tubestore's "preferred series" tubes are their own label, made for them in China, and they hype them up like the cats meow, to sell more, (at higher prices, mind you). They're no better than a Ruby-labeled Shuguang, bright and sterile.

However, I put a Mullard CV4004 in V1, JJ's in 2&3 in mine. Leave the power tubes alone, (if they're still using Tungsols).

I know The Tubestore's "preferred series" is from China but Is sound amazing no bright and sterile the el34 is full with great tight bass perfect for metal!

I found the 2555x to be less sensitive to tube rolling than a vintage original Jubilee. Although, the 2555x can run ANY 2 pairs of power tubes, very cool feature.

Jeff13th":35zjq6yx said:
napalmdeath":35zjq6yx said:
Jeff13th":35zjq6yx said:
ledvedder":35zjq6yx said:

I know The Tubestore's "preferred series" is from China but Is sound amazing no bright and sterile the el34 is full with great tight bass perfect for metal!

I do hear good things about the EL34's. I'd be into trying some.

I just opened it up. It has Marshall branded Tungsol EL34's. A Marshall branded 12ax7 in v1, and 2 non-marked 12ax7's in v2 and v3.

ledvedder":3v4uoo7e said:
I just opened it up. It has Marshall branded Tungsol EL34's. A Marshall branded 12ax7 in v1, and 2 non-marked 12ax7's in v2 and v3.

JJ in V1, Chinese in V2 & V3. Got any better preamp tubes laying around?

napalmdeath":36cynmja said:
ledvedder":36cynmja said:

JJ in V1, Chinese in V2 & V3. Got any better preamp tubes laying around?

Yeah, I have a bunch. JJ, Tungsol, Sovtek, Mullard, Ruby...

ledvedder":3o5bxhca said:
What would be some good examples of Jubilee tone that I could check out?
Any live GNR from back in the late 80s/early 90s. Slash used them live. I guess Gary Holt is also using them now as well.

Back