VTM 60 Bion Boost basment dungeon cam clip

Tronald Dump":2fzdnmx7 said:
Bad.Seed":2fzdnmx7 said:
Tell me more about this bion boost. Hows it compare to the average Ts9/808/sd-1? What's it do differently? This clip sounds killer, and I have a mint VTM 60 sitting on my porch, waiting to be opened. SO I'm interested. Haha

Thanks for the comment, and congrats on the VTM!

:cheers:

The simplest way I can describe it, is that the Bion makes the best of what the amp already has with minimal coloration and you can run it hard without a bunch of noise and feedback. It can also do a fuzz-like tone as well which is not something I would use very often, but it's nice to have it available. I think bubba posted a bion fuzz clip a while back IIRC.
Is that amp stock ? Damn that sounds awesome ! Bion Boosted huh !

riffermadness":3m263hsd said:
Tronald Dump":3m263hsd said:
Bad.Seed":3m263hsd said:
Tell me more about this bion boost. Hows it compare to the average Ts9/808/sd-1? What's it do differently? This clip sounds killer, and I have a mint VTM 60 sitting on my porch, waiting to be opened. SO I'm interested. Haha

The simplest way I can describe it, is that the Bion makes the best of what the amp already has with minimal coloration and you can run it hard without a bunch of noise and feedback. It can also do a fuzz-like tone as well which is not something I would use very often, but it's nice to have it available. I think bubba posted a bion fuzz clip a while back IIRC.

Amp is stock, but I do have a particular toob cocktail I like to run in this amp:

A pair of Sovtek WXT+ 6L6s. Preamp toobz are a Peavey Super 7 (late 80s/early 90s Chinese) in V1, JJ 803S in V2, V3 and V4 are Sovtek LPS.

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it!

Tronald Dump":1ora9s4b said:
riffermadness":1ora9s4b said:
Tronald Dump":1ora9s4b said:
Bad.Seed":1ora9s4b said:

Amp is stock, but I do have a particular toob cocktail I like to run in this amp:

A pair of Svetlana 6L6s. Preamp toobz are a Peavey Super 7 (late 80s/early 90s Chinese) in V1, JJ 803S in V2, V3 and V4 are Sovtek LPS.

Huge difference in price but this setup you have here sounds very close to a couple of High Dollar amps that I have seen/heard here lately with that tight ass aggresive attack.
I have used that 803s preamp tube before in what amp I forget but I remember it didn't even sound close to this VTM 60. I like the simplicity with Peavey VTM 60 and Bion boost pedal..and yes the tubes..Great job.

riffermadness":2xl8pc2h said:
Tronald Dump":2xl8pc2h said:
riffermadness":2xl8pc2h said:
Tronald Dump":2xl8pc2h said:
Bad.Seed":2xl8pc2h said:

A pair of Svetlana 6L6s. Preamp toobz are a Peavey Super 7 (late 80s/early 90s Chinese) in V1, JJ 803S in V2, V3 and V4 are Sovtek LPS.

Huge difference in price but this setup you have here sounds very close to a couple of High Dollar amps that I have seen/heard here lately with that tight ass aggresive attack.
I have used that 803s preamp tube before in what amp I forget but I remember it didn't even sound close to this VTM 60. I like the simplicity with Peavey VTM 60 and Bion boost pedal..and yes the tubes..Great job.

The 803s was kind of a fluke. About 10 years ago I bought a shit ton of JJ preamp tubes and the only ones I liked in V1 and V2 was the 83s. I don't remember if I even tried that tube in the VTM at the time. When digging thru my tube box I just happened to grab the 803s and put it in V2. I already had V1 and the phase inverter sorted out so I figured why not. It seemed to give the amp just a bit more brightness and edge. I thought I was imagining it so I ran a bunch of other tubes in that slot that I like, such as a Tung Sol, PV Super 7. Also did a cheapo EH and a Chinese 12AX7B. I ended up going back to the JJ 803s. It's a subtle difference that may not show up in a "proper" recording, but in the room it's there and that old Zoom Q2 picked it up.

What really brings the thump is running the Sovtek LPS in the phase inverter. I have one in the PI of all of my amps. Doesn't always make a big difference in all of my amps, but it does in this one. Also, having a 2x12 at 8 ohms beefs it up quite a bit, even more so than the Sovtek. I greatly prefer running at 8 ohms, plus the G12K85s in there do a great job reproducing the amp's tone without coloration or farting out. In summary, I've got a boost that doesn't really color the amps tone and a pair of speakers that don't really color the amps tone.

As always, appreciate the comments!

paulyc":1d99xs9m said:
What does the pedal do different than the other million or so boost pedals out there ? What makes it unique ? And how much of the tone in the clip is the amp vs how much is the pedal ?

Same settings on the amp, no boost.

Back