EVH 5150 III 50 6l6 on way

Mikeyboyeee

Have too many amps already (JP-2C, Ceriatone Chupacabra 100, Son of Yeti, PRS Mt15 and a 3 Channel triple Rec. Nothing exceeds like excess :rock:

Thoughts from anyone rocking the new 5150 50w? I play mostly 80's metal (Metallica, Anthrax, Dio, Priest, MAIDEN, etc. Also a bit of classi 70's and 90's like AIC, Tool, etc.

Looking forward to playing with it this weekend :)

I was not a huge fan stock. I came from Peavey 5150s, and the EVH just doesn't have the same kind of aggressiveness to it that the Peaveys have. I do currently gig with a Kruse modded one, though, and its fucking great! I also have an MT15, and recently just sold 2 Mesa Mark IVs after getting the MT15, if that tells you anything about my tone preferences lol.

I'm actually a fan of the 5150 III over the 6505+, and I currently have both. The 5150 III has a more organic sound on the blue channel, and truthfully, the blue channel boosted with a 5751 n v1 to lower the overall input gain of the amp is one of my favorite sounds out of any amp I own.

great amp. the only one i own. i like all three channels..:blue shines to my ear. funny cuz i didn’t care for the stealth i had. blue channel was totally different in feel sustain. the 50 is just an excellent amp

Bad.Seed":1fkz264z said:
I'm actually a fan of the 5150 III over the 6505+, and I currently have both. The 5150 III has a more organic sound on the blue channel, and truthfully, the blue channel boosted with a 5751 n v1 to lower the overall input gain of the amp is one of my favorite sounds out of any amp I own.

That's quite a statement with all of the amps you have listed. Looks like we have same taste. I even sold off 2 Quickrods. How is the 5150 compared to the JJ? That's on my list (possibly next) one day.

Mikeyboyeee":2yzboci7 said:
Bad.Seed":2yzboci7 said:

That's quite a statement with all of the amps you have listed. Looks like we have same taste. I even sold off 2 Quickrods. How is the 5150 compared to the JJ? That's on my list (possibly next) one day.

2 Very different beasts. The 5150 III is inherently a 5150, and you will know it right away. Just small tweaks to the dna, but still very obviously the same lineage.
The JJ is Modded Marshall heaven, and will probably appeal to most guys out there trying to hit the late 80's and early 90's marshall tones. I'm not totally happy wiht mine as I feel it lacks a little fullness and bass response, but I'm also not sure mine is 100% stock, as I bought it used.

Thanks for the feedback :) What do you use to boost the 5150? I have a TS9, Sd-1, Lovepedal Amp 50 Boost and then an HX Fx.

How does your Chupa fit in the mix with the JJ? I've got a 100.

The fiffy one fiffy tree fiffy is a win amp. I liked the one I had and whenever I play one it puts a smile on my face. They also weigh close to nothing and I guess the new ones weigh even less. I was going to buy one of the newer models but I went with a Triple Crown 50 so I don't feel a need anymore....

Mikeyboyeee":3aumwlzf said:
Thanks for the feedback :) What do you use to boost the 5150? I have a TS9, Sd-1, Lovepedal Amp 50 Boost and then an HX Fx.

MXR M77 has been my go to boost for the last 6 years.

The Chupa, to me, is closest to a JCM 800 out of the amps I own. I had an 800 and the Cup at the same time, and they were very similar. The 800 was a little more raw and big sounding, but was looser and not as defined. The Chup is a little more polished, could get tighter and more saturated by a good amount, but can be tricky to dial in if you don't know how the switches and controls interact with each other.

Bad.Seed":3j88kms7 said:
Mikeyboyeee":3j88kms7 said:

The Chupa, to me, is closest to a JCM 800 out of the amps I own. I had an 800 and the Cup at the same time, and they were very similar. The 800 was a little more raw and big sounding, but was looser and not as defined. The Chup is a little more polished, could get tighter and more saturated by a good amount, but can be tricky to dial in if you don't know how the switches and controls interact with each other.

Must try one of those M77's. I realy do love my Chupa, but been gassing for a Friedman. Not sure the upgrade is worth it. haven't been able to Demo any of the Be's, JJ or Butterslax in person.

Mikeyboyeee":5ad7l08v said:
Bad.Seed":5ad7l08v said:
Mikeyboyeee":5ad7l08v said:

Must try one of those M77's. I realy do love my Chupa, but been gassing for a Friedman. Not sure the upgrade is worth it. haven't been able to Demo any of the Be's, JJ or Butterslax in person.

Your call man, the Friedmans are fantastic amps. They're definitely the "it" amp brand on the moment, but the Chupa is certainly no slouch. 2 Different flavors of the same thing IMO

I find them to sound great, but the honeymoon wears off quicker than any amp I've owned. The red channel is an unusable mess. That, is the biggest con I find, every time.

napalmdeath":2c9bwdq6 said:
I find them to sound great, but the honeymoon wears off quicker than any amp I've owned. The red channel is an unusable mess. That, is the biggest con I find, every time.
You just turn the gain down. I rarely run mine over 9 or 10:00 and the amp sounds great.

just got a 5153 50 watter today. got it super cheap on ebay bc the moron was running el34s. have it at an amp tech right now, hopefully it doesn't have to returned.

LP Freak":2d2g4bop said:
napalmdeath":2d2g4bop said:
You just turn the gain down. I rarely run mine over 9 or 10:00 and the amp sounds great.
Never had it past 9:00. Even with 5751's in it. It's way too gainy. Utterly insane amount. I can't, for the life of me, understand why EVH finds that much unusable gain necessary.

Bad.Seed":3d3eub1o said:
Mikeyboyeee":3d3eub1o said:
Bad.Seed":3d3eub1o said:
Mikeyboyeee":3d3eub1o said:

Your call man, the Friedmans are fantastic amps. They're definitely the "it" amp brand on the moment, but the Chupa is certainly no slouch. 2 Different flavors of the same thing IMO

How's the Powerball fit into that amp list of yours? I might try a PB II.

napalmdeath":3agtfkbp said:
LP Freak":3agtfkbp said:
napalmdeath":3agtfkbp said:
Never had it past 9:00. Even with 5751's in it. It's way too gainy. Utterly insane amount. I can't, for the life of me, understand why EVH finds that much unusable gain necessary.
That’s way too much gain but you continue to gravitate toward hi gain amps. :LOL: :LOL:

napalmdeath":1bnx3jtj said:
LP Freak":1bnx3jtj said:
napalmdeath":1bnx3jtj said:
Eddie once commented that he likes his lead channel to be like a wild horse that he needs to tame and control.
I totally get that, and don't have an issue with the amps red channel at all...I can handle it just fine with the gain at noon and not let it get away from me.

Back