NAD: Savage Blitz

braintheory

Just got this Savage Blitz head. What a fire breathing monster! This may have the most growl of any amp I’ve ever owned, especially in the lower mids! So throaty! It sounds kinda like a JTM45 with a lot more gain, more pissed off, darker (yet still super cutting), and looser, sloppier but in a great way. VERY few amps made today sound this organic. This is one of the few that actually sounds vintage!

I wasn’t as impressed with the Savage Glas or Schatten I had, but this one wowed me right away with first powerchord. I’ve owned SO Marshall style amps (Metroplex, Bogner Helios, Mezzabarba, several Friedman’s and Gower’s, Kruse V5 modded JCM800, an 83 JCM800, 68 Major, Bigtone, Henning Cherry Bomb, Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Trident Stage 2 and tried countless others like every Friedman model, Splawns, Roccaforte, Landry, Bruno, Bogner Telos, Reeves Super 78, Germino’s, Tone King Royalist, many Laney’s and plenty others I can’t remember at the moment and the only ones I’ve kept are my Cameron modded Marshall’s and Wizard MTL because they were a notch above all the others to me, but so far this Savage Blitz is looking to be in that company. This is not though a chug machine by any stretch (it’s rather loose) nor a metal monster, but it takes boosts super well and can kinda pull off early Metallica with it, but I wouldn’t go beyond that. I think it’s real forte is classic rock, bluesy stuff or anything that’s heavy but also slow since it’s a very loose, spongey amp, but super organic and 3D. Before this I thought my Cameron Aldrich modded 79 JMP2203 had the most growl of anything I’ve tried, but this may actually edge it out by a little. The Blitz growls more in the lower mids and is very throaty, while the Aldrich is more upper mids and is of course way more focused sounding

This probably won’t be for most guys on here, but thought I’d talk about it anyway since I think it’s an overlooked amp and for me one of the very best Marshall type amps out there (of the million others). It definitely won’t replace any Cameron’s, Wizards or other heavy hitters, but still really distinguished itself from the countless other Marshall type amps with it’s vicious, throaty growl and very raw, organic sound

I think this is also in some ways way better than what I think Friedman’s are going for (like the Dirty Shirley) because it’s a darker amp like Friedman, but still cutting, raw and pissed off, while the Friedman’s tend to be smoother, polished and more restrained with their darker take on a Marshall sound. The Blitz is not smooth or polished whatsoever. It’s super gritty, but again also very loose and sloppy, but in a great way as long as you’re not playing anything too fast or chuggy. If you like the Dirty Shirley, you’ll love this. It absolutely crushes it for what it’s going for

The only Marshall type amps left on my radar now are the Brunetti Mercury, Larry Dino and Schroeder Formula. I got this amp thinking it would be another amp that would get sent packing by my other stuff, but not the case so far

Nice review! This interests me since I'm about 100 miles from them, from Savage Mn I believe. Just south of Bloomington Mn so it's one amp I can actually go try out. Since you own some of the best it must be pretty damn good....

Racerxrated":1dll392a said:
Nice review! This interests me since I'm about 100 miles from them, from Savage Mn I believe. Just south of Bloomington Mn so it's one amp I can actually go try out. Since you own some of the best it must be pretty damn good....
You definitely should! And make sure to bring a pedal or 2 with you to boost it. It takes boosts super well.

I’d also be very curious to hear your thoughts on the Krieg model (125 watt amp), if it’s there to try. I thought it was also supposed to be Marshall-y, but I heard one guy on gearpage say that it may be based on a twin. I also heard he can make the Blitz preamp with the Krieg poweramp. That could be cool since the blitz is 50 Watts

It’s also worth noting what a great value the Blitz is. It’s around $2800 new, but you can find them for about half that used, which is about where I was in trade value for my Blitz

As said before, this isn’t gonna replace my Wizard or any of my Cameron’s, but I’ll probably use it more than my Wizard MTL, Aldrich or my Jose since it suits my style more while being worth way less money. I think my Atomica modded SLP will still be the one I’ll play most often though, but I’ll see

Back