Can anyone off pickup wiring help?

ledvedder

Not sure if anyone would be able to lend some knowledge. I'm replacing the cheap push pull pot that came with my Washburn N24, along with replacing the neck pickup with an SD Jazz. I've also cleaned up all of the unnecessary extra wire that was crammed in there. I've wired everything up the same way it was. The exception being the Jazz wire colors are different than the original Washburn neck pickup. So, I have the red and white Jazz wires where the Washburn red and green wires were. And the black Jazz wire where the white Washburn wire was. I'm getting sound, but it's very faint. The switching and coil tapping is also working.

Attachments

• IMG_20181215_171201.jpg
    IMG_20181215_171201.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20181215_171224__01.jpg
    IMG_20181215_171224__01.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 249
Faints sounds are usually bad connections. I’d check each one and make sure everything is grounded as well.
Hard to say on the actual switch hookups, I always search around for wiring diagrams using the part number of the component to make sure I hook it up correctly.

Whenever I've had faint sounds, I've had the ground come loose. Check the ground. Whatever was soldered to the back of the pot before.

scottosan":32btg6kw said:
On your drawing, red/white needs to be top left and black to bottom left, green/bare to ground

I probably should have stated that the drawing represents how it was originally wired with the Washburn neck pickup. With the Duncan Jazz, I put it's black wire on the bottom left and it's red and white wires on the top left. All other wires stayed the same. But after fighting with it for a few hours, I just put a standard 500K CTS pot in and everything is working fine.

BackCrack":131oookp said:
That first pic shows that nothing is soldered to the input tab of the pot.

It has white from the switch on the left lug and white from the output jack on the middle lug. The right lug is grounded.

Back