cabinet plywood tone

JMP2203

i got two 1960 marshall 4x12 cabs and one does sound muddy with the same speakers, does anyone have similar experiences with a cab?

I have two Cameron cabs loaded with the same speakers. One is broken in,the other is not. They both sound great,but one is sweeter for sure.

rottingcorpse":25mg90n0 said:
I have two Cameron cabs loaded with the same speakers. One is broken in,the other is not. They both sound great,but one is sweeter for sure.

yeah but i mean the really same speakers, i got them out of one of the cabs and put them in the other, one sounds muddy

Every individual cabinet and every individual speaker sounds different.

No two speakers or cabinets sound the same regardless of how much they look the same.

stephen sawall":2j2s65vt said:
Every individual cabinet and every individual speaker sounds different.

No two speakers or cabinets sound the same regardless of how much they look the same.

This has been my experience with nearly all gear. They same damn thing just sounds a bit different. I couldn’t guess how a mahogany v ash guitar body will sound or birch v poplar ply for a cab, but I know that things just sound different and you just have to pick the one you like.

I had a vintage cab that looked like a relic from the titantic. It was extremely mellow. When I took the back off I was able to tighten every visible screw with minimal effort. Between wood shrinkage and/or abuse, the cab simply was dampening the tone. After giving everything a good tightening it was noticeable more lively

I have had this experience.... something about the wood or? will make the foundation tone of some cabs brighter than others using the same speakers.

Scott is on the money. You have to re-tighten the screws in Marshall cabs. Also the sound post/brace in the middle has a big effect, try putting some material on the flat part that contacts the back panel to make it put more pressure on the back panel.

CrazyNutz":rgcfuf5n said:
Scott is on the money. You have to re-tighten the screws in Marshall cabs. Also the sound post/brace in the middle has a big effect, try putting some material on the flat part that contacts the back panel to make it put more pressure on the back panel.
This!

Every time I've gotten a Marshall cab, I always take the back off to tighten screws. There's a 100% chance that if it's used it had a screw or 2 loose.

Yup same here.. got a 1960bv.. opened it up and all screws were loose. It's quite a difference compared to previous situation :) Less flub I'd say, more clarity and a bit more volume almost

I concur with everyone else here. I own 4 Marshall cabs. All 4 were used when I bought them, and all four had not only loose baffle screws, but loose speaker screws as well. I tightened everything down in all of them, and they all sounded noticeably different afterwards.

I also always put a piece of foam on the back of the middle brace, and a screw through the back of the cab into the brace. I like my cabs super tight with fast response, so this may not be for everyone.

Back