Speakers For Marshall 1960A 4x12

Charvel1975

I have a Marshall 1960A angled cab with 2 stock Celestion G12t-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's in X pattern that I run with my Mesa Trem-O-Verb head and I've been thinking about trying different speakers and not do the X pattern thing. I play in a classic rock/hard rock covers band.

I'd like something less scooped in the mids and not sound harsh to my ears. I play different styles like classic rock/hard rock/metal so I'd like it to be a versatile cab. My other guitarist picked up one of those Celestion Creambacks that everyone has been talking about but he hasn't loaded it any of his cabs yet so I don't really know what those sound like. Any suggestions?

You might want to consider the Mesa spec'd Vintage 30 that are still made in the UK, I like them alot better than standard Vintage 30's they are less harsh in the mids and highs that the standard Celestion V30. I have a 2x12 Roadster cab with two of them and they sound really good with any of my Marshalls from super leads to a modded 2203. Nice low end punch that's tight, the speaker still has good mids without being spikey and nice highs without being shrill. When I was testing my 1969 Superlead Replica amp I hooked it up to my mesa cabinet and I was actually shocked at how good it sounded even though I have vintage cabs with 12H-30's and Greenbacks. Amps with a lot of low end like your Tremoverb and let's say my splawn modded Marshall sound great through them.

I think they would match up with your Tremoverb nicely and they are priced right in there with the Creambacks at $145.00. Yep they are still custom made for Mesa and they are UK made.

https://store.mesaboogie.com/products/s ... -made.html

Here's a clip I found and these are regular V-30's not the Mesa spec'd ones which I feel are superior.

Can't go wrong with V30s and Creambacks in a X pattern - I'm about to do this in my 1960a.

Also, Friedman 4x12s have V30s and Greenbacks and sound incredible, so this might be a strong consideration.

Marshall V30's that come in the 1960AV have always been my favorite for what you're going for. A bit more expensive and require being special ordered when bought aftermarket, but they get me where I need to be no matter what style I'm playing.

The funny thing is - the speaker in the 1960bv is not a vintage 30. It's G12 Vintage, rated at 70w and users have confirmed a standard V30 is quite different. I know cause I have that speaker and I also have an orange ppc412 which does have V30s. The difference is quite drastic. The Marshall one is like an in-bread t75 and V30, it has this hollow v shaped sound resembling a T75 with upper mid spike of V30. I also find the regular V30 has a firmer bottom end and handles lower tunings better than the marshall G12.

I’ve read those G12’s are supposed to be a good middle ground between t75’s and v30s but aren’t easy to find

I know you say you want to get away from mixed speakers. But Greenbacks up top, and v30s in the bottom is tits.

CrazyNutz":1p6jm4zr said:
I know you say you want to get away from mixed speakers. But Greenbacks up top, and v30s in the bottom is tits.

great suggestion, or the ones i tried, scumback h75 top, V30 bottom was tits.... the only thing to watch out for is the dB output it produces cause you dont want to have greenback be significantly under-powered compared to V30.

I have two Relic 30's and two Creamback H-75's in my 1960A in an X pattern. I recommend the Creambacks. They're nice. :)

I have brighter, stiffer Chinese V30's up top and thicker, darker WGS Vet30s on the bottom in one of my 412's and that combo is just sick.

I have a Marshall slant with Hellatone V30's on the bottom and Warehouse ET65's up top. Sounds pretty good to me, a bit bright than the Recto OS 4x12 I have.

Back