Reverb situation, resolved

maddnotez

Banned
I list a pedal, guy pays via paypal.

Then asks if he can pick up since he is local and it is a gift, wants before Christmas.

I said ok sure, text my number. No reply from buyer.

I am thinking, there is no way I will do this via paypal. If he comes, I will refund paypal and ask for cash. I was going to run this by him but he had not replied.

I message him back again telling him and said I will be shipping Monday after work, if you want a refund let me know before then.

What would you do? Ship the pedal? Refund and relist?

I just feel like it was a weird request to make AFTER you paid for something. Plus the area I live in is full of idiots so...Yeah, just worrying about 3 months down the road with a paypal claim since it was just a weird thing overall.

cash only if picking up. Otherwise get a picture of his him with the pedal and his drivers license and have him sign a receipt acknowledging he received the item upon pick-up. That way he can't claim it was never shipped or he didn't receive and try to do a paypal charge-back

Hmm. Yeah, I know if I found something on Reverb and noticed it was someone local. I would have tried to work a deal outside of the PP and Reverb platform. So, it does seem quite strange to make the request after the fact.

Emg77":1kcroau3 said:
Hmm. Yeah, I know if I found something on Reverb and noticed it was someone local. I would have tried to work a deal outside of the PP and Reverb platform. So, it does seem quite strange to make the request after the fact.

Exactly.

And taking Pauly's advise I am just going to cancel and refund. That was my gut feeling and it is fishy to me. Could use the sale but oh well. No time for nonsense.

Unfortunately people these days feel that if the used product they purchase does not live up to their expectations that the seller is responsible or they use the gear find they don't like it or use it as a trial period for 90 days and then lie about the transaction to PP to get a refund taken from the seller sometimes without return shipping the item. It really seems to be getting bad out there, I really don't like selling big ticket items anymore.

I have resorted to face to face trades lately, I have stuff listed on CL and buyers email me but are too lazy to actually text or call me directly even though the phone number is in the ad, I had a guy make and offer on a guitar, I agreed and told him to call me to set up a date and time and I would drive to meet him half way for the sale, I never heard back from the guy for two weeks, I just received and email today...Did you receive my messages? I told him no, my phone number was in the ad you should have called or texted if you were serious... WTF! I traded the guitar to a non FLAKE!!! People are flaking out all over the place lately.

harddriver":2uyvp4da said:
Unfortunately people these days feel that if the used product they purchase does not live up to their expectations that the seller is responsible or they use the gear find they don't like it or use it as a trial period for 90 days and then lie about the transaction to PP to get a refund taken from the seller sometimes without return shipping the item. It really seems to be getting bad out there, I really don't like selling big ticket items anymore.

I have resorted to face to face trades lately, I have stuff listed on CL and buyers email me but are too lazy to actually text or call me directly even though the phone number is in the ad, I had a guy make and offer on a guitar, I agreed and told him to call me to set up a date and time and I would drive to meet him half way for the sale, I never heard back from the guy for two weeks, I just received and email today...Did you receive my messages? I told him no, my phone number was in the ad you should have called or texted if you were serious... WTF! I traded the guitar to a non FLAKE!!! People are flaking out all over the place lately.

Yeah people can be ridiculous. Go to Sweetwater with that bullshit. If you don't like your item take a hit and resell it like everyone else.

The best one for me lately was this low ball. Asking $750 for a guitar and this guy messages me and says "The best I can do is $450" as if we were previously negotiating or something. Delete.

Then he writes back hours later asking what I decided. GTFO :LOL: :LOL:

Getting ready to sell a few guitars, crap like this makes me jittery. Most of my sales go well, but I've had a few goofball buyers that can sour the experience.

mhenson42":1gcgrcmj said:
cash only if picking up. Otherwise get a picture of his him with the pedal and his drivers license and have him sign a receipt acknowledging he received the item upon pick-up. That way he can't claim it was never shipped or he didn't receive and try to do a paypal charge-back
^^^ this. it's a known scam for a scammer to buy using PP, then pick up in person, then complain to PP that the seller never shipped the item. the seller has no paper trail to prove that the buyer got the item, so PP refunds the buyer, & the seller gets screwed. :thumbsdown: sounds like you handled it fine.

I would allow Reverb Bucks, but not PayPal. Reverb Bucks allows the buyer to mark the item "received," and then releases your funds to you. I did this two weeks ago for a pretty big amount because the buyer was local to me and not having to ship my pink EBMM EVH was very attractive to me. Buyer was totally cool, pulled the Reverb app up on his phone in my driveway, handed me his phone and told me to mark it as received.

I sold a much cheaper guitar on eBay to a guy in Palm Springs, CA because I was driving right by there a few days later. I was nervous about not being able prove shipping, if he filed a PayPal claim. But we spoke on the phone and he was totally cool, ditto for when we met at a gas station to do the handoff. I have been very lucky.

Rick Lee":1da1wzyx said:
I would allow Reverb Bucks, but not PayPal. Reverb Bucks allows the buyer to mark the item "received," and then releases your funds to you. I did this two weeks ago for a pretty big amount because the buyer was local to me and not having to ship my pink EBMM EVH was very attractive to me. Buyer was totally cool, pulled the Reverb app up on his phone in my driveway, handed me his phone and told me to mark it as received.

I sold a much cheaper guitar on eBay to a guy in Palm Springs, CA because I was driving right by there a few days later. I was nervous about not being able prove shipping, if he filed a PayPal claim. But we spoke on the phone and he was totally cool, ditto for when we met at a gas station to do the handoff. I have been very lucky.

That's cool, didn't know about the Reverb bucks. Seems safe but either way if I encounter this situation again...Refund then cash only.

Side note: I have been selling a lot of gear lately. Never in my life have I had so many headaches dealing with lowballers, assholes, time wasters and just idiots in general. I swear after these last couple of items I am trying to sell I am done with these gear games. :LOL: :LOL:

And a special thanks to those on here who have bought something from me hassle free. I appreciate the people who are about their business :rock:

My only issue with lowballers is when I'm drunk, make a lowball offer on eBay or Reverb and then when I wake up hungover the next morning, my offer has been accepted. I hate when that happens, but I love my latest '78 Marshall JMP 100w I got for $400 under asking price.

Rick Lee":x4e4ll9a said:
My only issue with lowballers is when I'm drunk, make a lowball offer on eBay or Reverb and then when I wake up hungover the next morning, my offer has been accepted. I hate when that happens, but I love my latest '78 Marshall JMP 100w I got for $400 under asking price.

Doesn't hurt to ask but the lowballers I am constantly getting are people who won't leave you alone. I literally had to block a guy on Facebook. If you lowball and it is countered or declined or even accepted then cool.

I had this guy bugging me for like a week almost every day with ridiculous reasons of why the guitar I just paid $1k for is only worth $400 and how he can get a USA Charvel for $500 and how he can get 30% off at Sweetwater :confused: sure, then why are you harassing me? lol

Just people who desperately want an item and get pissed off when you won't give it away for free. I would rather raffle it here or give to a friend for nothing.

Oh, I've even had to block an eBay bidder because he became such a doosh in his messages and lowballs, that I was worried he'd Buy It Now, use it for five months and then return it, just to be a jerk. I love getting the messages about how my price is way out of line and then I sell it for exactly that amount to the perfect buyer who is overjoyed to have it and thanks me profusely.

Rick Lee":1h8os9hs said:
I love getting the messages about how my price is way out of line and then I sell it for exactly that amount to the perfect buyer who is overjoyed to have it and thanks me profusely.

:LOL: :LOL:

That is literally what happened to the guy I blocked on FB verbatim.

Offered me half of my price on an $80 pedal which was already the lowest available anywhere by $15. He just kept at it on and on. Then I sold it for what I asked and he saw the ad change to sold. Had the balls to message me again this time talking shit on how the buyer was an idiot, blah blah. I didn't even read the whole thing and just blocked him.

Like I said I can see making a lowball and trying to negotiate but when the buyer is not willing to take a complete loss just move on. Not cool to harass someone just because you want it so bad and are too cheap to pay for it.

maddnotez":1p4093qn said:
Rick Lee":1p4093qn said:
I love getting the messages about how my price is way out of line and then I sell it for exactly that amount to the perfect buyer who is overjoyed to have it and thanks me profusely.

Offered me half of my price on an $80 pedal which was already the lowest available anywhere by $15. He just kept at it on and on. Then I sold it for what I asked and he saw the ad change to sold. Had the balls to message me again this time talking shit on how the buyer was an idiot, blah blah. I didn't even read the whole thing and just blocked him.

Like I said I can see making a lowball and trying to negotiate but when the buyer is not willing to take a complete loss just move on. Not cool to harass someone just because you want it so bad and are too cheap to pay for it.

Funny how that works. I like the lowballers who don't get their way, and suddenly your item becomes a cheap piece of shit when they start to rant.

I only lowball people when it's for something I really don't need and can't justify except for getting it for a price too low to not buy. If it's something I need, I will pay market price.

Rick Lee":w6n1vcgr said:
I only lowball people when it's for something I really don't need and can't justify except for getting it for a price too low to not buy. If it's something I need, I will pay market price.

If you don't need it, why waste peoples' time?

maddnotez":36j7rrc9 said:
Rick Lee":36j7rrc9 said:

So you're the jerk who blocked me???? Dude $40, hand delivered to my door was a great offer !!

...just joking man, not me. But it would be funny if it was someone on here and then they could just keep harassing, haha.

Back