New amp help/suggestions: Marshall style high gain

psychodave":1e3zz37o said:
I honestly suggest a late 70's Marshall JMP and a boss SD-1 and a few other dirt boxes for different flavors. An awesome JMP can be had for $1,500 these days and you cant loose out on resale.

I agree with this as well. My brother has a '79. I took my Zakk Wylde OD over and had a ball with it last weekend!

Napalm- Yep, just peer pressure to have the most sought after thing. But, I try to push past that. Most people swear a Rev 2 Uber is the only one to own, but I did my homework and preferred and bought a Rev Blue. So, yeah, at your suggestion I'm trying to judge with my ears and so far that Runt really gets the high frequencies right. Good advice, good advice.

psychodave- At another time, I'll likely go this route. I've got a few project amps in need of attention right now, so I would prefer something new that I can flick on and not worry about ghosts in the machine.

misterspockyall":3hkz7yfi said:
Napalm- Yep, just peer pressure to have the most sought after thing. But, I try to push past that. Most people swear a Rev 2 Uber is the only one to own, but I did my homework and preferred and bought a Rev Blue. So, yeah, at your suggestion I'm trying to judge with my ears and so far that Runt really gets the high frequencies right. Good advice, good advice.

psychodave- At another time, I'll likely go this route. I've got a few project amps in need of attention right now, so I would prefer something new that I can flick on and not worry about ghosts in the machine.

Gotcha. I simply changed the power tubes and plugged in and played. These old Marshall’s are built tough.

Here is what it sounds like. I think I’m using an SD-1 out front. That’s it.
https://youtu.be/e6Uj_DBTe58

psychodave":2h2hqtct said:
Gotcha. I simply changed the power tubes and plugged in and played. These old Marshall’s are built tough.

God that sounds good, ok I'm listening lol. I'm a total noob to older marshalls. I know the 2203/800 family is a master volume amp with separate gain, with a boost can you get pretty good sounds at reasonable volumes? I see your master set low, I'm just curious how loud that was in the room.

I'm no stranger to cranking an amp, but the older I get, the more consistent the ringing in the ears, I really don't want to have to get crazy loud to sound good.

misterspockyall":q52g70xe said:
psychodave":q52g70xe said:

God that sounds good, ok I'm listening lol. I'm a total noob to older marshalls. I know the 2203/800 family is a master volume amp with separate gain, with a boost can you get pretty good sounds at reasonable volumes? I see your master set low, I'm just curious how loud that was in the room.

I'm no stranger to cranking an amp, but the older I get, the more consistent the ringing in the ears, I really don't want to have to get crazy loud to sound good.

JCM800 needs a nudge, for sure. I wouldn't, (personally) recommend for low volume.

The Runt's master volume works very well.

If you are getting ringing in the ears from playing your amps then I highly suggest custom audio ear plugs. I don't have ringing in my ears (knock on wood) but I also play with protection. Kind of like a condom. Doesn't feel as good but sometimes a necessary.

311splawndude":23nfwcbg said:
If you are getting ringing in the ears from playing your amps then I highly suggest custom audio ear plugs. I don't have ringing in my ears (knock on wood) but I also play with protection. Kind of like a condom. Doesn't feel as good but sometimes a necessary.

Do your amps still sound good with the ear plugs on? I’m assuming a lot of highend is lost?

Can you recommend a good brand?

misterspockyall":ee3i79cx said:
psychodave":ee3i79cx said:

It’s really not that loud. Maybe a little louder than TV volumes. Yeah, it kicks ass being pushed a little more...but it doesn’t need it. I would say if you need an effects loop, you need to pay someone to install something like a Metro Loop.

psychodave":2msobrlq said:
It’s really not that loud. Maybe a little louder than TV volumes. Yeah, it kicks ass being pushed a little more...but it doesn’t need it. I would say if you need an effects loop, you need to pay someone to install something like a Metro Loop.

Thats awesome. Just realizing you were also the one with the RG100es mystery amp clip that sounded wicked as hell. Thank you for all the insight, and lemme know when you wanna come dial in my rig lol.

misterspockyall":17w7kmux said:
psychodave":17w7kmux said:

Thats awesome. Just realizing you were also the one with the RG100es mystery amp clip that sounded wicked as hell. Thank you for all the insight, and lemme know when you wanna come dial in my rig lol.
No offense to the Runt fans but I tried one out at a GC in MPLS and right next to it was an 87 2204. The Marshall sounded better to me and it wasn't close. Throw a boost in front and you will get a killer tone at a low volume all day...my 2210 is a fire breather with a boost and sounds killer at a low or high volume.
And to echo Dave, 800s/JMPs are reliable workhorses...never had one fail me yet.

Racerxrated":23gstbu5 said:
misterspockyall":23gstbu5 said:
psychodave":23gstbu5 said:

No offense to the Runt fans but I tried one out at a GC in MPLS and right next to it was an 87 2204. The Marshall sounded better to me and it wasn't close. Throw a boost in front and you will get a killer tone at a low volume all day...my 2210 is a fire breather with a boost and sounds killer at a low or high volume.
And to echo Dave, 800s/JMPs are reliable workhorses...never had one fail me yet.

For almost 20 years I have been gigging with old Marshall amps. The only thing I ever had happen was the occasional tube going bad. With 100 watt heads I'd pull the bad tube, it's pair, and run on 50 watts. I never popped a tube on a 50 watt head. Those old Marshall's, if maintained, will last forever. I use my Friedman modded 1974 every Sunday for church, we tend to be loud and proud for Jesus, the amp just keeps on working.☺☺

For the price of some of the amps in question you could pick up that Fryette Deliverance 60, Laney Ironheart 60, Epiphone So Cal 50, AND that Mesa Nomad off craigslist. Just sayin'

Racerxrated":zlaxx2fk said:
misterspockyall":zlaxx2fk said:
psychodave":zlaxx2fk said:

Agreed. I honestly think if more guys heard those late 70’s JMP’s or even the 800’s side by side with the other amps mentioned (Friedman’s, Splawns, etc) you’d hear how how restrained and filtered they sound in comparison (it’s almost like hearing a recording of an amp versus the JMP sounding real). IMO it’s really a super simple decision: just get a good older JMP2203 or JCM800 (I prefer the JMP’s) and a good pedal to boost it or have it modded. If you want that upper mid growl Marshall flavor, I really don’t think it’s worth bothering with the others mentioned. Just my 2 cents

Listen to this clip of a 1978 JMP2203: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7XPQzWfhcU

It shows what a raw, organic firebreather these amps can be. I haven’t played any modern made amp that can match that type of sound, and especially not in the Friedman’s or Splawn’s. The Helios I used to own maybe would be the closest, but still not as good imo and more pricy on top of that. My Savage Blitz has that raw, oraganic sound in spades and probably the most growly amp I’ve owned, but more in the lower mids and it’s a looser amp not as well suited for metal

psychodave":1lpu1zan said:
misterspockyall":1lpu1zan said:

Dave, how do you run the level and tone on your SD-1's? Level full up and tone halfway? I believe I recall you saying you preferred less level and more drive?

braintheory":52l95ed0 said:
Racerxrated":52l95ed0 said:
misterspockyall":52l95ed0 said:
psychodave":52l95ed0 said:

Agreed. I honestly think if more guys heard those late 70’s JMP’s or even the 800’s side by side with the other amps mentioned (Friedman’s, Splawns, etc) you’d hear how how restrained and filtered they sound in comparison (it’s almost like hearing a recording of an amp versus the JMP sounding real). IMO it’s really a super simple decision: just get a good older JMP2203 or JCM800 (I prefer the JMP’s) and a good pedal to boost it or have it modded. If you want that upper mid growl Marshall flavor, I really don’t think it’s worth bothering with the others mentioned. Just my 2 cents

Listen to this clip of a 1978 JMP2203: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7XPQzWfhcU

It shows what a raw, organic firebreather these amps can be. I haven’t played any modern made amp that can match that type of sound, and especially not in the Friedman’s or Splawn’s. The Helios I used to own maybe would be the closest, but still not as good imo and more pricy on top of that. My Savage Blitz has that raw, oraganic sound in spades and probably the most growly amp I’ve owned, but more in the lower mids and it’s a looser amp not as well suited for metal
:rock:
Great description/comparison. The rawness of a good Marshall and a boost is hard to match. Wizards, Deliverance series are 2 others that come to mind for a pure raw tone.

I paid $1200 for my all stock '82 2204. Not sure if that's good or not, but seemed fair to me

itsme":189fsx8j said:
I paid $1200 for my all stock '82 2204. Not sure if that's good or not, but seemed fair to me
I sold an ‘83 2203 earlier this year for $1200 plus shipping on reverb

Back