New amp help/suggestions: Marshall style high gain

The 'ol birthday is coming around, and I've convinced the wife to take me on a roadtrip to the Sweetwater store in Indiana.

I want a second amp to pair with my Uberschall in stereo. I'm looking for something in the high-mids range. I'd love something in the Plexi/JCM800 vein, but definitely would prefer a good master volume for household volumes. Helios/smallbox are on my list of things to try.

I'm all over the place here, but I guess suggestions/experiences for an amp that really rips in the high mids range would be great. Or just advice as to weather a JCM 800 2203x has to be cranked to sound good?

I think the best option is to just get a late 70’s jmp2203 and either boost it with a good Overdrive (like a Timmy V1, Friedman Golden, or Ethos) or get it modded

If you want upper mid growl nothing imo beats a good older Marshall with either a good boost or mod. Almost all the current made Marshall-y amps just sound like a more civilized/restrained take on a Marshall, especially Friedman’s. The Helios is great (haven’t tried an Eclipse) and super organic for a non-vintage, but I’d still take a 70’s jmp2203 any day and it’s a lot cheaper too

I don’t know about the MC2, but as great as my Wizard MTL is, it doesn’t have the upper mid growl of a good Marshall and the 1996 MC I owned didn’t either. They’re strength for me is more in their insane note definition and air they move

misterspockyall":22x3etkf said:
The 'ol birthday is coming around, and I've convinced the wife to take me on a roadtrip to the Sweetwater store in Indiana.

I want a second amp to pair with my Uberschall in stereo. I'm looking for something in the high-mids range. I'd love something in the Plexi/JCM800 vein, but definitely would prefer a good master volume for household volumes. Helios/smallbox are on my list of things to try.

I'm all over the place here, but I guess suggestions/experiences for an amp that really rips in the high mids range would be great. Or just advice as to weather a JCM 800 2203x has to be cranked to sound good?

Modded older Marshall as braintheory said (

OR

Wizard MCII as stated by Wizard of Ozz (Best master volume amp I've owned to date. Between the master and loop level knobs, I can get cranked amp tone/girth/feel at manageable volumes)

I've been thinking about picking up a box so I can run the MCII with my Uber, your thread makes me want to try it even sooner ;)

JCM800, hands down. If you want Marshall tones, get a Marshall. I've done been down that rabbit hole too many times.

The Helios is a good option, but I had the 50, and can't say it did the "high mids" thing. It had some Marshall flavor, but with a Bogner signature darker character.

I'll go out on a limb here, and say the Friedman Runt 50 might be right up your alley. I think it sounds more Marshall than the BE's at a fraction of the cost, and none of the extra B.S. switches, knobs, etc. In fact, I found it very Marshall sounding.

Around here, everyone will mention the most expensive car on the lot, which, alot of times isn't necessary. Try the Runt, and a good boost, and you'll be in JCM800 territory all day long, with a way better master volume.

SPLAWN QUICKROD... Great price and its like getting 3 amps in one. GEARS: 1st - Hot Rod Plexi, 2nd - Hot Rod 800, 3rd - Super Hot Rod 800. I love mine. Add-on's include DROP B+ switch and MID CUT switch. This amp is so customizable. Call Scott at Splawn and discuss what you are looking for tone wise. Cant go wrong with a Quickrod.

Why not just get a JVM. OD1 amber is about as high gain Marshall as it gets. Or go to the crunch channel, throw a nice OD in the front and your in the 800 high gain realm. Not to mention you'll have some great options for clean if need be. From stage to bedroom, the Master works great.

My vote is anything Friedman. Just understand that the Smallbox does NOT have as much gain as a BE 50/100 - it does have one less gain stage after all. The plexi channel is beautiful/ultra dynamic and the BE channel is like the greatest JCM800 you've ever played with a decent bit more gain. But ultimately, like an 800 you will need a boost to get crushing metal tones (albiet not as much as an 800 would need). Mine is modded to have SAT/JBE, so I have no problem getting brutal... but now that I have more gain on it, I find that I spend more time on the regular BE channel! I personally think the Smallbox is an awesome take on a modern plexi/800 and has enough gain but should probably come with the SAT switch from the factory, so you may want to check out the Wildwood edition.

TLDR - Smallbox is incredible, high gain but not brutal gain

For Marshall tones that Sweetwater would have in stock... Friedman Smallbox(plexi style HG tones but less that the BE100, BE50 or 100,I 've heard some good tones out of the Smallbox. The Bogner Helios or Shiva but both do have that Bogner sig tone. Marshall 2555x Jubilee Reissue but I think these were having QC issues so I have read. For the price of stock reissue Marshall's I think the Friedmans would be worth the upgrade.

Just ordered one of these TGA-3's recently to accompany my Demeter TGP3 / VHT Classic rack.. One stop shop for some of the best Fendery cleans (ch1), Plexi style gain (ch2) and Marshall on roids (ch3). I got the 110w version but I can control the level of the FX send while keeping the pre and power tubes cranked. Sounds great at low volumes, no need to attenuate.

tga3-500x500.jpg

Fret-Shredder":mzjdw4hs said:
SPLAWN QUICKROD... Great price and its like getting 3 amps in one. GEARS: 1st - Hot Rod Plexi, 2nd - Hot Rod 800, 3rd - Super Hot Rod 800. I love mine. Add-on's include DROP B+ switch and MID CUT switch. This amp is so customizable. Call Scott at Splawn and discuss what you are looking for tone wise. Cant go wrong with a Quickrod.
Bingo

He may 'need' to buy from Sweetwater though for some reason.

I wouldn't personally buy a brand new marshall but there are some good old ones out there for sure.

If you get a chance to try a Splawn sometime please do. And you can find used ones in the 1,000 range.

Damn fellas, this is why I'm on this site everyday. Good suggestions from trusted posters, and some homework to do on amps I hadn't considered (suhr, splawn, etc.) Sweetwater is just gonna be a fun day to play on some stuff I've only heard online. Our local shops usually don't have many amps I'm interested in. So I hope to play a few things, if I fall in love, great. If not, I'll have a better idea of what I want and can go from there.

I'd love the late 70s jmp route, but I'm getting tired of older amps that need attention. Just wanna flip a switch and go ham.

Wiz- I'm dying for the Eclipse, but would love to hear one in person. And not sure if I'm ready for a Wizard level wallet investment lol.

Mike- Hell yeah, I went stereo in 1996 and very rarely go back. Do it!

Napalm- I always kinda shit on the runt because "cheaper", but you're right, that thing cuts hard I may need to revisit.

Everyone else- I've got some vids to watch lol

3 suggestions right here in our classifieds....

Wizard MC 100, crushing amp that will destroy any other amp you've ever played for pure thump, great articulate Marshall-like tone.

69 plexi replica, Hardriver knows the circuit and I'm sure it rocks, throw a boost in front and watch out...

Voodoo modded Marshall, that's a great price for a firebreather and it has a loop.

I've always come back to a stock Marshall with a boost, when I want a Marshall tone. But all three of these are great deals, something to consider at least.

The options in this market are staggering. I made a spreadsheet with pros/cons lol, and have been reading and watching vids all day. There is only so much you can learn from the internet. I think I'm gonna just need to go and play some amps, and then take a gamble on something. Realizing that whatever I buy might not be the end all be all.

That being said, that damn Runt seems to have the top end I'm looking for. Just trying to fight off the perception I have due to the price haha

misterspockyall":16loeb7u said:
The options in this market are staggering. I made a spreadsheet with pros/cons lol, and have been reading and watching vids all day. There is only so much you can learn from the internet. I think I'm gonna just need to go and play some amps, and then take a gamble on something. Realizing that whatever I buy might not be the end all be all.

That being said, that damn Runt seems to have the top end I'm looking for. Just trying to fight off the perception I have due to the price haha

What perception? I had a Runt 50, and the only reason I returned it, was my good old $550 Marshall DSL50 was on par, tonally, and I couldn't justify keeping it. Same thing happened when I bought a Helios 50, (for $2800, I think?). I had a Splawn Competition right next to it, (that I bought for $900 from a member here), that did the higher gain a bit better, and less dark, (more Marshall). That Competition is an amp I sorely regret letting go.

My point is, there are many amps out there that excel at what you're looking for. People buy names, hype, and I think, (in some cases) seek others' approval by dropping a wad of cash on the flavor of the month, (this month, it's Wizard, no offense to Wizard owners, they are stellar amps)!

I would seriously consider the Runt 50. But, I'd also consider bang for buck. I wouldn't hesitate to look at Splawn, and, a very underrated, yet well-known beast of a simple amp, is the Laney GH50L. I've owned 3. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another, should I be after another JCM800-esque amp for little dough. Hell, I just bought a Chinese-made Randall Thrasher 50, and it kicked my Ceriatone Yeti to the curb. And, I have no gas, and if I do, the Thrasher stays.

Suggestions are nice, take them with a grain of salt. Hone in on what YOU want/need.

If I were limited to what Sweetwater had, the Runt would be in the mix, for sure, as would the Rivera Ktre55, and the Helios. Outside of Sweetwater, I think you need to take a hard look at a Splawn.

I honestly suggest a late 70's Marshall JMP and a boss SD-1 and a few other dirt boxes for different flavors. An awesome JMP can be had for $1,500 these days and you cant loose out on resale.

Back