PRS guitars

the rossness

For my birthday last week, I was gifted a PRS S2 24 Standard. Fantastic guitar! It feels like a well built SG with a strat shaped neck and it has a trem. I actually think the stock pickups sound pretty good. Overall, I’m thrilled with it. Perfect birthday present!

Eons ago, when I first started playing, I thought buying a PRS CE 22 would transform me from a crappy player, to a pro. Instead, I was just a crappy/ begginner player with a $1200 guitar. I sold that prs many moons ago and never got back into the brand. I’d play them here and there but I just never thought they had mojo. The guitarist in my old band had a 408 and I wasn’t into it. A friend had a modern eagle, which was ok. Not worth the price, but ok.

Until I got the S2, prs never really did anything for me. What has your exerience been with them. Into prs or not?

I have only played an SE so I do not thing my opinion is valid.

Congrats on the S2 though.

my favorite brand, their necks just seem perfect to me and the workmanship and tone is great. I recently went to a concert with Grand Funk Railroad opening (Bruce Kulick of Kiss is their guitarist) and Bob Seger. Bruce's best tone of the night imho was a PRS McCarty and when Bob's guitarist busted out a PRS I also felt it was his best. I'm sure i'm biased but I love them.

PRS guitars are all incredible! I love playing mine every time I pick it up; it has completely stolen my attention away from my LP!

I like many brands, Gibson and ESP are my main 2, but for me it just depends on the individual guitar. I own a 2002 PRS Singlecut that plays and sounds incredible.

I love em, they are consistently great guitars. Ive had to change a pickup in my McCartys bridge position, but they have been really solid guitars. Ive had some Custom 22's and 24's, but I never really was blown away by them. The McCartys, and a first year Modern Eagle have all stayed longer than anything Ive ever owned. Have a Dave Grissom on the way, they are fantastic ;)

My 1st real purchase (of MANY now) after a 20 yr layoff was an Se 24 custom floyd rose. By far the best finished, most versatile in its price range. This year i traded an amp for a Mccarty 10 top 2004 with Indian rosewood neck. Its my 1 of 7 (some USA Jacksons, SG Standard, Les Paul, etc.

Amazing player. Incredible neck and pickups sound great with all my amps.

First, happy belated birthday OP. Can't think of a better b-day gift!

Very similar experience to yours. Had a CE24 over 20 years ago. I dug it because I finally had a PRS. Ultimately though, the guitar was kinda meh. I sold it a long time ago and moved on.

Bought a Custom 24 Floyd last year and was blown away. It's a world away from my old one. I don't think I could have come up with a better guitar if I sat down with Paul himself and custom designed my own signature model. It feels perfect, plays great and the PRS Metal pickups are outstanding (for everything). Coming from a fat LP 50s neck, I didn't think I'd like the Pattern Thin neck, but it's by far the most comfortable neck of all my guitars.

Seems like PRS is really focusing on all the minute details that when added together make for significant improvements. Their pickups in particular are MUCH better than they were years ago.

I've wanted one for over 20 years and have played a ton of them. I find the company itself, design and Paul very inspiring but I haven't found the one for me. Build and playability is stellar but tone-wise they never quite do it for me like my Gibson and Fenders do. I am super interested in the 408 and Paul's Guitar models. Also, I'd like to try the latest McCarty (standard, not 594).

The other guitarist in my band has an older PRS McCarty, completely stock. I love it for recording, it is probably my favorite "studio" guitar. I don't really play it any other time.

Congrats!

I had an SE 7 string and thought it was great for the $. And no binding. I think that's why I'd probably like the s2. I'm not a fan of any binding anywhere on any guitar.

I always wanted one, but just never cared much for the style, don't care for LP's either. But I wanted something different from a super strat and picked up a PRS CE 24 Satin Blackout (Sweetwater special order) and love it. I did replace the pickups, but it's a well made and fun to play guitar.

I had a 1986 custom 24 for a number of years and moved it on earlier this year. Its the only PRS experience I have. Emerald green that had faded over time to be one of the coolest looking guitars I think I have ever seen. It played fantastically, tone overall was good but a little bright for my taste and even though it played amazingly well it still never felt like "my" guitar. I was too chicken shit to swap the pickups and switching to my preference as it was an all original 2nd year PRS. As cool as it was I'm happier without it...

glassjaw7":30riaj73 said:
I've wanted one for over 20 years and have played a ton of them. I find the company itself, design and Paul very inspiring but I haven't found the one for me. Build and playability is stellar but tone-wise they never quite do it for me like my Gibson and Fenders do. I am super interested in the 408 and Paul's Guitar models. Also, I'd like to try the latest McCarty (standard, not 594).
I have 2 standard McCartys and honestly, I would not write off the 594's, the one I played a few weeks ago was fantastic and ring like a bell!

Back