NAD x3 Mesa Stiletto, VTM 60, & FJA Modded 5150

Bad.Seed

It's been a busy few days. Picked up all 3 amps within the last 3 days. I picked up both Peavey amps to flip for a quick buck, but they are both staying because they sound phenomenal.

I managed to score the VTM 60 on ebay last week. It's in mint condition, has the dipswitch cover, and has ALL of the original USA tubes. Pretty damn wild. I've owned a whole bunch of VTM's over the years, and never particularly loved any of them. Awesome amps, but none spoke to me. 5 minutes with this amp, and it was apparent that it would not be going anywhere. This one sounds so Marshally, it's crazy. If I'm being honest, it's like my Chupacabra met a 5150, and it rules. The amp is super quiet, and has no issues. Used it at practice over the weekend, and it cut effortlessly in the mix, and my other guitarist runs a KT88 Loaded Splawn QR. Nice!

The Stiletto Trident showed up today. It's a stage II. Some of you may have remembered me asking about the amp in a thread a couple weeks ago. I pulled the trigger and it showed up today. Also in mint condition, the amp is BRIGHT. Good lord, is it bright. The people who advised me about it's brightness were not exaggerating. It definitely sounds better through some cabs vs others. Not good through a 1960B cab, but really nice through a Diezel RV30 cab and Marshall MF400 cab (Leaning towards the MF400) The amp has a good amount of low end punch, and a ton of punch. Even though it' bright, it seems to lack a little sizzle, but not in a way that I think would be noticeable in a band setting. Super tight low end, full sounding without being muddy, but not as clear as some of my other amps either. What I do like overall, is the grind it seems to have. But I really want to check it out in a mix before I make the decision to keep or sell..

Lastly, I picked up an FJA modded Block Letter 5150 locally for $450. It's had the Metal Mod done, which changes the transformers, adds a choke, has the clarity mod and some other things, I guess. It's also had the bias mod done, with individual bias settings for each pair of tubes. It currently has 6L6's and KT88's in it. This is the best Peavey 5150 I've ever heard. The character and signature sound of the amp is fully in tact, but the can of bees sound, slightly annoying high end and flubbiness in the bass are gone, and the amp is quite a bit clearer than a stock 5150. The bass is now enormous, but now has a punch that none of my other 5150/6505 amps have ever had, and I've also got the resonance and bass levels at about 4.5 each, and the low end is still massive. This amp will also be staying.

Pics below, as well as a short cell video I did of the Stiletto that i posted to IG, and a clip of the VTM in the band mix at practice. Great gear day!

Attachments

• 48407490_1045572868978759_2687495327849644032_n.jpg
    48407490_1045572868978759_2687495327849644032_n.jpg
    916.2 KB · Views: 614
  • 48379562_214371456155076_5526719828653506560_n.jpg
    48379562_214371456155076_5526719828653506560_n.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 582
Metlupass2":1mdk87kb said:
Super nice score on the 5150! Craigslist?

Yes sir, I actually have the Peavey 5150 facebook group to thank for that one. Someone posted the listing, and the guy only lives an hour and a half from me, so we met in the middle. Super happy with this deal. Wasn't even in the market for an OG 5150 because I've always liked the plus model better, but the FJA mods literally fix all my complaints on the 5150/6505. Can't say I'd be willing too pay the actual price from FJA, but Jerry knows what he's doing. That is for sure.

311splawndude":2appmlua said:
WTF Dude :LOL: :LOL:

Don't you have enough amps already :gethim:

j/k Have fun mang

Wait....there is such a thing as "Enough" ?

That sucks :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks man, some fun amps in this bunch.

After spending a little more time with the Stiletto today, I've come to the conclusion that I don't like where the high frequencies are based. It's super bright, but doesn't have the top end sizzle I like from almost all of my other amps. I wonder if there is a way to chang a component value to move the frequency that the presence control affects? I may be thinking too much into it, but I feel like I could really like the amp with only a couple of minor changes.

I think that is a common complaint of the Stilettos no? If you like it well enough you could def get it modded. Otherwise, I personally would be after a T/A, R/A or TC50.

I had a stilleto 2-12 combo. I hated it. sold it immediately for a profit! I could not dial in a sound I liked on it. It had Vintage 30 speakers , I hated it.

Quick update, I bought a couple of Tung Sol 12ax7 preamp tubes and they came in today. I threw them in v1 and v2 of the stiletto, which had all the original message branded tubes in it. This made a noticeable difference. Seemed to tame some of the brightness while adding a little bit of sizzle and making the gain sound a bit more saturated. Getting closer.

Glad you found something that worked. Interesting that Tung Sols were the answer. I've always found them to be a bright preamp tube. I was thinking JJs. Good that you got it sorted though.

311splawndude":39qn72o4 said:
Glad you found something that worked. Interesting that Tung Sols were the answer. I've always found them to be a bright preamp tube. I was thinking JJs. Good that you got it sorted though.

I thought the same thing, as I typically put them in V1 in my 5150's and v@ in my Splawns to liven them up a little bit. But it seemed to smooth the EQ a tad in place of the Russian Mesa branded tubes.

So after doing a little reading, it sounds like bias modding the stiletto and being able to get the power tubes into warmer range really reduces the harshness on this amp. I was thinking of retubing the amp anyways, as it has the small bottle Mesa EL34 power tubes in them, and the amp seems like it could benefit from a tube with a little bigger bass response. I'm used to my Splawn and Diezel, which both have huge bass output, so maybe I'm not being fair to the amp, but I feel it could use a boost in the low end.

KT77 or 6CA7? Any thoughts here?

Bad.Seed":6p0ojjy0 said:
311splawndude":6p0ojjy0 said:

I thought the same thing, as I typically put them in V1 in my 5150's and v@ in my Splawns to liven them up a little bit. But it seemed to smooth the EQ a tad in place of the Russian Mesa branded tubes.
Those old Mesa Russian 2's used to be EHX's. Man, those are harsh-sounding tubes.

Rex Rocker":lt6aeakv said:
Bad.Seed":lt6aeakv said:
311splawndude":lt6aeakv said:

Those old Mesa Russian 2's used to be EHX's. Man, those are harsh-sounding tubes.

They are, for sure. Did not help the Stiletto's EQ problems at all. I almost wonder what JJ's would sound like in V1 or V2. They may be able to smooth it out even further than the tung sol.

Great score on the FJA 5150. if that popped up here, i woulda bout for sure, and i probably won’t buy another amp ever, but that is a crazy good deal. fuck. jealous there.

Back