NPD - Airis Effects Savage Drive

napalmdeath

Damn this pedal is brutal. The volume and drive knobs get pretty extreme, so I'm still finding a balance.

The bite and tight knobs really shape things nicely, but I find running the bright somewhat higher, and tight somewhat lower. Overall, it's a FINE pedal! Into the Thrasher 50, it's downright punishing! I just swapped out 2 speakers in my 4x12, and am now running 4 Greenbacks. It's downright glorious. I really have the best of both worlds - somewhat vintage sounding, yet high gain, surgically tight, aggressive tone. It's what I've been chasing. I'd still like an EVH 4x12, but I haven't been this happy with tone in years. The Thrasher 50 certainly brings the goods, and the Airis really makes it THAT much better!

1 of my favorite pedals. .Liked it so much I bought 2.. . It's funny though as it's BARELY a savage pedal and barely a drive pedal. It's way more eq/filters than drive. Meanwhile, the 'bright' and 'tight' controls are voiced the most perfectly that could possibly be. It's about the quietest pedal ever too. Works amazing with an Engl Screamer I have, a Tremoverb, a Baron K2, a Morin hi-gain modded 1979 JMP, worked amazing with the Morin preamp I just sold, and into hi-gain amps where the lo-end isn't really tight. Also works great into clean amps as a boost. It does not work well into a few brighter /tighter amps I have, but all in all 1 of my favorite pedals ever.

Eric

I have been eyeballing these for a while now. Recently dumped a bunch of boost / OD's but still have room for one more! Probably will put a Mantra OD with the high gain option on the block to fund it.

fek":3a8t2zep said:
I have been eyeballing these for a while now. Recently dumped a bunch of boost / OD's but still have room for one more! Probably will put a Mantra OD with the high gain option on the block to fund it.

I got mine on a special sale on Reverb direct from Airis for $149. It's a steal, really. I think they're back up to $169.

Sam ash in Sarasota had one used in mint condition a couple of weeks ago for 109.99 but by the time I tried to coordinate the purchase and xfer to my local store it had already sold. My salesguy was gonna let me snag it for 95 out the door too. Oh well....

I still want one but I’m wondering now if it fills a niche my fortin and maxon pedals don’t fill.

Anybody able to chime in on this comparison?

Fitrocker33":1n0g9c7o said:
I still want one but I’m wondering now if it fills a niche my fortin and maxon pedals don’t fill.

I have a Fortin Grind and I prefer the Savage Drive over it

Fitrocker33":35adirjj said:

the Savage Drive has so much flexibility for sculpting low/high end compared to either of those. Quickly becoming my favourite boost pedal.

It's the one pedal that is like an automatic 'mod' to your amp, in that you can change the looseness or tightness to any degree you want. Great pedal.

Racerxrated":1fuo6nfa said:
It's the one pedal that is like an automatic 'mod' to your amp, in that you can change the looseness or tightness to any degree you want. Great pedal.

I like that description .. Perfect! Like I mentioned previously I have 2 of them since I liked it so much, but it still surprises me when it's called the "Savage Drive" , or someone says it's brutal, as it barely has any gain/overdrive/distortion in the pedal itself. It just meshes perfectly with certain amps, and then you can control the feel and eq of the amp all in one. I did find it doesn't mesh perfectly with my Splawn Streetrod but it sure does with my others I've tried it with

Eric

God damn it, now i just ordered one.....,,,,, Damn gear forums...lol

I pre ordered the V3 version, due mid January. Top mounted jacks and an even lower noise floor. Same pedal though.

Thanks for the decreased funds guys.... :D

I think these forums need a community “swear” jar where every time somebody buys something because of GAS caused by a certain thread, each person that posted a tempting post in the thread has to throw a dollar into the jar.

Fitrocker33":3lwsnmsl said:
Damn you guys and your GAS inducing rhetoric lol...

My wallet just asked me for a divorce :LOL: :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL: Exactly... I'm now watching savage drive vids... fuckers!

Back