Splawn VS VHT: Build Quality

Bad.Seed

So, Random question, but I am curious. I don't pretend to know much about internal components or build quality.

I had a friend say today, that Splawn build quality and components are not that great, and that VHT/Fryette is far superior. I've always heard that VHT build quality is superb and not lacking in any areas, but I've never heard someone say bad things about Splawn build quality or components used.

Can anyone elaborate? Does Splawn really use crap components in certain spots? It wouldn't change my opinion on the amps at all, because my QR is still one of my favorite amps, but I'm just curious, for argument's sake.

Metlupass2":20avk1nv said:
Which components?

Honestly, he didn't mention. I don't know him all that well. It sounds like he was going off the word of people who have worked on his amps before, and not personal experience, but I'm not sure.

I don't know much about the quality of components between the two, but I will say that my QR has been literally beat to hell since 2006 and has NEVER given me a problem. It's been gigged hundreds of times, countless hours of rehearsal/practice jammin, dropped, tumbled in the back of my truck, left out in the freezing cold, left on for days by accident, and the thing still kicks ass. I was gonna send it to Scott just to have it gone over inside and out, but I really don't want to risk changing the way it sounds. It just has a certain mojo to it

Lord Toneking":1afdzmmq said:
I don't know much about the quality of components between the two, but I will say that my QR has been literally beat to hell since 2006 and has NEVER given me a problem. It's been gigged hundreds of times, countless hours of rehearsal/practice jammin, dropped, tumbled in the back of my truck, left out in the freezing cold, left on for days by accident, and the thing still kicks ass. I was gonna send it to Scott just to have it gone over inside and out, but I really don't want to risk changing the way it sounds. It just has a certain mojo to it

...and after ALL that use/abuse...it'd be a crying shame for it to get eff'd during shipping...

Splawn is a bucket list amp BTW!

Imo they are both high quality,well built amps. Rarely have i heard about issues from either brand. Both also have a dedicated fan base,which is often the cause of vocal opinions for/against each other.

I have owned both and gigged both. Never had an issue with either. I’ve never heard anything around Scott skimping on parts for his amps but these things are not my forte.

Lord Toneking":9w63s230 said:

I'm not an amp tech, but from what I understand, the filter caps are the main concern regarding aging components. I'd have a local tech replace them if necessary.

Scott Splawn uses fairly thick circuit boards with good size traces in them as compared to a late mid to late 70's Marshall boards that can be on the thin side and have a propensity for the traces to lift. I would say Splawn has a very good track record quality wise as well as VHT/Fryette. Any production made amp can have an issue during assembly ie: cold solder joint and so forth if it gets by final QC testing.

The only things I have heard about Splawn is some people seem to like the QR with the Heyboer transformers versus the Magnetic Components transformers he is using now. But I think Friedman is using Magnetic components now too. I really think Magnetic Components has stepped up their quality in the past tens years and have become a major supplier. I have used both and liked both equally.

My Splawn modded 79 2203 is going on 15 years since Scott modded it in 2003 with one of his circuit boards because I was having intermittent issues with it at the time that no tech could track down definitively. He also replaced the PT with a Marshall takeout PT and a Mercury Magnetics Output transformer by my request. I have not had any issues with it since and I still like the tone and feel. The lead master foot switch can be a little fiddly recently but that's about all. I only check the bias and play the thing it has been very reliable.

This is all what I pretty much expected to hear. Thanks for the replies.

When he first said that, I was really surprised, as I had only ever heard great things about Splawn's build quality., but I'd never directly asked the question, so figured I'd dig in a little deeper, just to see what people more knowledgeable than myself would say.

Splawns are utter shitte next to VHT ! Lol I had 2 Splawns, both FULL of cold solder joints and bad design. Couldn’t ditch them fast enough, even AFTER they went back to Scott, utter shitte I tell you !

I had two Splawns and a couple VHTs too. Still have my VHT UL.

I feel Spalwn has greater built quality. Feels sturdier. Especially the pots. VHT have a plastic shaft and feel cheap, to me at least. I had my clean pot fail last year, had it replaced. Works great now but it is the first amp i had to have serviced ever. And i baby my gear.

Just my opinion.

I've been inside both amps and I'd say they are both of high quality. Higher than average. Putting both up against each other is not totally fair. I've been in and around these amp forums (including the Splawn board) for quite some time now and I've never ever heard once a complaint about Scott's build quality.

(that is until Paul's post today - but I think he is trolling)

If your buddy had a specific issue or component complaint I'd love to hear.

*I'm not an amp tech
**I'm not affiliated with Splawn

JerEvil":238yoffo said:
I have owned both and gigged both. Never had an issue with either. I’ve never heard anything around Scott skimping on parts for his amps but these things are not my forte.

Scott makes killer amps that last. but i will say, i did have issues with the Splawn labeled EL34’s he loads into his 2012>. Burned out a few of them in a years time and i checked adjusted bias to 30ma steady. Once i threw in another set of a different brand, all was good.

311splawndude":2s4vwsd9 said:
I've been inside both amps and I'd say they are both of high quality. Higher than average. Putting both up against each other is not totally fair. I've been in and around these amp forums (including the Splawn board) for quite some time now and I've never ever heard once a complaint about Scott's build quality.

(that is until Paul's post today - but I think he is trolling)

If your buddy had a specific issue or component complaint I'd love to hear.

*I'm not an amp tech
**I'm not affiliated with Splawn
I’m not trolling, but I will tell you I voiced my concerns on the Splawn forum and my post was brought down rather quickly by the mod at the time, Vomhalen, but it was all true, and still is. My tech couldn’t believe what he saw when he looked at both of mine, like I said, AFTER I gave Scott a crack at them. One had an arcing half power switch Scott didn’t catch, and the switches etc are poor quality. I’m just relaying what my tech told me. Full of cold solder joints too. Junk. NEVER again.

Splawn builds quality Amps and cabs. I cant say enough good thing about them. I can only attest to my experience with Scott and he was absolutely a pleasure to deal with. Here's mine. Awesome build quality... "NUFF SAID"

6Wfm7Z0.jpg

And I just received my matching 2X12 cabinet from Scott with Celestion creamback M65s and not only does it sound incredible the build quality is amazing too.

FuFTbfc.jpg

The newer ROhs lead free solder does not wet the joints and flow as well as leaded solder and contributes to cold solder joints in addition to bad soldering technique.

I bought my first QR used, and it was a nightmare, so I had my tech patch it up after Scott gave it a clean bill of health and I sold it on local CL, then I bought a brand new Pro Mod and that wasn’t any better, so I traded that off and haven’t looked back. YMMV.

I had a brand new Splawn maybe 2 years ago and wanted to pop in 1-2 high grade preamp tubes. Went to pull the V1 and as I was wiggling it out the tube socket came loose and broke. Trip to amp tech to replace the tube socket - he said it was cheaply made and the design how they were attached was pretty lame. Won't ever buy another one.

I like splawn and VHT/Fryette. I would generally consider the VHT/Fryette to be of higher build quality based on the numerous Splawns and VHT/Fryettes I've owned. That being said, the only amp that I've ever had an issue with was a Fryette 2/90/2. One of the power-tubes would redplate intermittently on one of the channels. Turns out one of the connections wasn't even soldered at the factory. When they happened to be touching, everything worked fine. If it vibrated and the contact was lost, the tube with redplate.

Back