Do you think Ed ever plays Da Marshall?

Rdodson":181har94 said:
I don't know why this frustrates me so. I'm 51 and none of this matters anymore, but I guess conspiracy-theory nuts just drive me crazy.

John Suhr, Mike Soldano, R Bogner, Dave Friedman (heck, ME as like I said I worked for the band for a while and had first hand contact with these guys)...the amp was not modded in any way pertinent to THAT sound. Did Jose really jack up some stuff? Sure did. Some of it was kinda cool I guess, and sounded really neat for some, but it wasn't what you are looking for. Jose has become a myth, a Elf riding a unicorn in some Gen-X garage guitarists' fantasies leading to Valhalla where everyone has their own custom Ellsworth-cut axe and an amp born from the Force ghosts of Jim Marshall and Jose Arredondo in a grotto replicating the interior of Arco Electronics.

Heck, I don't know if he's on this board but ask George Metropoulos for his opinion. No...he's exhausted and trying to keep his amp business afloat and doesn't need the headache.

Haha. I hear ya.

Serious question, were any of the above mentioned people inside Eddies amp between 1978 (when VH1 war recorded) and 1983 (when 1984 was recorded)? Did any of them see the pot that is clearly in the pic I posted?

psychodave":3avsdmj5 said:
Rdodson":3avsdmj5 said:
I don't know why this frustrates me so. I'm 51 and none of this matters anymore, but I guess conspiracy-theory nuts just drive me crazy.

John Suhr, Mike Soldano, R Bogner, Dave Friedman (heck, ME as like I said I worked for the band for a while and had first hand contact with these guys)...the amp was not modded in any way pertinent to THAT sound. Did Jose really jack up some stuff? Sure did. Some of it was kinda cool I guess, and sounded really neat for some, but it wasn't what you are looking for. Jose has become a myth, a Elf riding a unicorn in some Gen-X garage guitarists' fantasies leading to Valhalla where everyone has their own custom Ellsworth-cut axe and an amp born from the Force ghosts of Jim Marshall and Jose Arredondo in a grotto replicating the interior of Arco Electronics.

Heck, I don't know if he's on this board but ask George Metropoulos for his opinion. No...he's exhausted and trying to keep his amp business afloat and doesn't need the headache.

Haha. I hear ya.

Serious question, were any of the above mentioned people inside Eddies amp between 1978 (when VH1 war recorded) and 1983 (when 1984 was recorded)? Did any of them see the pot that is clearly in the pic I posted?

Yes! That would be something to know, Dave...
prob never find out tho :cry:

psychodave":3vbapvim said:
Rdodson":3vbapvim said:

Haha. I hear ya.

I think Ed's a real dick for not giving Jose any credit. :yes: Wants everyone to think it was all him with his ingenuity. I do concur he was definitely ingenious and why I picked up guitar, but he should have given some credit to his amp tech.

Does anybody know if it’s true that he used the ‘Proto type Jose Amplifier’ on OU812?
I mean, the amplifier that he and Jose were working on together… Which is never got finished I guess,
That record is mixed horribly but the guitar tone is very good, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR604h7Bu6I

... go to 4:29 - Love that pure tone

glip22":19qpaika said:
I think Ed's a real dick for not giving Jose any credit. :yes: Wants everyone to think it was all him with his ingenuity. I do concur he was definitely ingenious and why I picked up guitar, but he should have given some credit to his amp tech.

Not sure if you are kidding or not. I thought it was pretty well known that Eddie made shit up about his rig on purpose to drive business for his friend and tech, Jose?

https://legendarytones.com/edward-van-h ... own-sound/

Scroll down to the Amplifier section:

"AMPLIFIERS

There are many misconceptions about Edward Van Halen’s primary amplifier used for recording. Rumors have abounded about the amplifier being heavily modified and some of these rumors were in fact generated by Mr. Van Halen himself (he admitted telling these stories to help generate business for tech friend Jose Arrendo’s shop)."

I personally think he (EVH) is a genius and knows more about amps than I do but I also find it a bit funny that in other areas he was clueless - hence his one knob guitars and ruining his Shark guitar and probably hundreds of tubes.

I personally don't care if his 'grail' amp was modded or not. Modded. Not modded. Whatever. I think a lot of it comes down to what one considers a mod. I'm not sure I would consider a slave out or a master volume a 'mod'. In his sober state interview in a more recent Guitar World magazine he said his amps were bone stock. :dunno:

psychodave":87f5ht17 said:
Rdodson":87f5ht17 said:

Haha. I hear ya.

The biggest question is why do people see that picture, know it is real and then still insist that the knob didn't exist? It's like people are in a stage of denial and don't want to believe it's true.

Back