VH III live tone

MYLILSS

I’m sure I am in the minority, but I loved the live guitar tone Eddie got on the VH 3 tour. It was so raw and in your face but still very open and clear. Was he using the 5150 or the 5152 at that time ? Did he ever use the 5152 live ?

If you look at vids from that tour...during the summer run...Ed was playing prototypes of the 5152

Interesting. I’ll have to do more digging. From what I could tell it seemed as if he was still running his W/D/W setup, but I wasn’t 100% sure

I think he's always kept the W/D/W setup, but the big difference is that he dropped the harmonizer from his sound on this album and tour. Think it was the 5150 II if memory serves me correctly, but the big differences were lack of Eventide and the switch from the EBMM to the Peavey Wolfgang, right? To me that was the beginning of the end of his signature sound (his Hagar tone at least, not the brown sound), Balance was pretty much perfection for me, and everything has just sounded off since then.

dolinja":19qyqhe3 said:
I think he's always kept the W/D/W setup, but the big difference is that he dropped the harmonizer from his sound on this album and tour. Think it was the 5150 II if memory serves me correctly, but the big differences were lack of Eventide and the switch from the EBMM to the Peavey Wolfgang, right? To me that was the beginning of the end of his signature sound (his Hagar tone at least, not the brown sound), Balance was pretty much perfection for me, and everything has just sounded off since then.

I agree .... balance was perfection for me. its always been that holy grail tone for me :LOL: :LOL: . the VH3 live tone was a tone I really dug as well though, and it just seems easier to get :LOL: :LOL: .

MYLILSS":2ebhthw2 said:
dolinja":2ebhthw2 said:

I agree .... balance was perfection for me. its always been that holy grail tone for me :LOL: :LOL: . the VH3 live tone was a tone I really dug as well though, and it just seems easier to get :LOL: :LOL: .

+1. Balance is by far my fav EVH tone

zz666":24ggevw2 said:
As far as his modern tone, I like what he had going on Human's Being.

That was a killer tone. Can’t get this stuff no more is also a badass tone. His later tones hagar era tones are my favorites for sure though

MYLILSS":1yijlkbg said:
zz666":1yijlkbg said:
As far as his modern tone, I like what he had going on Human's Being.

That was a killer tone. Can’t get this stuff no more is also a badass tone. His later tones hagar era tones are my favorites for sure though

Can't Get This Stuff is killer. I found his tone on the III Tour had too much of the 'cocked wah' vibe too it.

EVH has many killer sounds that I love. But 5150 is the ultimate W/D/W tone to me. It sounds so huge on songs like 5150 and Best of Both Worlds etc. 0U812 seemed like a step back for me in terms of the guitar sound. I guess my least fav tone is Different Kind of Truth :)

MYLILSS":372r0j8h said:
I’m sure I am in the minority, but I loved the live guitar tone Eddie got on the VH 3 tour. It was so raw and in your face but still very open and clear. Was he using the 5150 or the 5152 at that time ? Did he ever use the 5152 live ?
5150II's on this tour. The Peavey guitars were prototyped on the previous tour with Sammy. I agree, this is IMO the best live sound he ever had. And I had seen them dating back to the early years. Oddly enough I bought a II hoping to replace my MkI based off this and never did like them as much as the MkI.

At the time I was working the local amphitheater had a chance on three consecutive tours to see his rig up close.

Back