Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Jul 17, 2019 4:35am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat, Jan 05, 2019 9:52pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Nov 08, 2009 9:04pm
Posts: 1200
Location: New Jersey
Are you human?: 951
What could possibly be causing volume drops on a 2525h at gigging volume? It seems fine at home levels. Tubes have been replaced, cables have been replaced.

_________________
EVH 5150 III 50 watt
Ceriatone Chupacabra 50
Marshall DSL40c
Boss Katana head
Yamaha THR10x
Peavey Wolfgang
Washburn N24
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Squier CV Tele


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 10:44am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Nov 08, 2009 9:04pm
Posts: 1200
Location: New Jersey
Are you human?: 951
This is an amp that I've sold recently, and the buyer is asking for a refund because of this issue. He said he's replaced all the tubes and tried different cables. I was not experiencing this issue when I had the amp. Now I feel responsible for selling something that has issues. In all my years of selling gear, I've never had any issues, so I feel responsible.

_________________
EVH 5150 III 50 watt
Ceriatone Chupacabra 50
Marshall DSL40c
Boss Katana head
Yamaha THR10x
Peavey Wolfgang
Washburn N24
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Squier CV Tele


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 11:25am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Dec 09, 2009 11:00am
Posts: 8545
Location: Chicagoish
Are you human?: 951
Operator error and throw in a slight case of buyers remorse


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 11:51am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jul 04, 2006 6:13pm
Posts: 1815
Location: Dallas, Texas
Are you human?: 951
Did you sell online with stipulation of refund? Could be so many things, but like not the amp,inus the tubes.

_________________
Friedman BE100 Clone
Cameron CCV 100 Clone
Single Channel CCV Clone
Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
1988 Les Paul 1959 Reissue
Chubtone #17
Charvel Satchel




Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 11:53am 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 7449
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
LP Freak wrote:
Operator error and throw in a slight case of buyers remorse

This. So, in case the buyer doesn't know how to operate the volumes, when I gigged with a Jubilee the Lead and Output master basically have to be matched in order to keep the clean/lead volume equal between channels. I remember having them both at around 6-7 at a gig.

_________________
KRG 2C+ Coliseum 1X15 Combo w/EV, Road Case
HH M900
Lexicon MPX1
Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Plum SoCal
1980 Greco EG500 LP
1985 Ibanez Destroyer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 11:54am 
Offline
Plank Cranker

Joined: Fri, Dec 17, 2010 8:11pm
Posts: 938
Are you human?: 951
The brand new tubes are probably having issues. Power tubes most likely but could be a preamp tube, seems to be alot of initial tube mortality rate of current production tube even if they are burned in.
Valve Queen shut her business down due to having to fight with the suppliers. Doug at Dougs tube's it seems is also having some problems with consistent tube quality as of late.

Probably a tube issue, but now he has an excuse to return it. Todays seller is screwed, PP and CC will force you to take it back like you are a music store with a 90 day return policy even though it's a used product.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 11:56am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Nov 08, 2009 9:04pm
Posts: 1200
Location: New Jersey
Are you human?: 951
I'm just gonna go through with the refund. I've been buying and selling gear for years now, without issue. I don't want to deal with the negative feedback, word gets out that I'm a bad seller to deal with, blah blah blah...

_________________
EVH 5150 III 50 watt
Ceriatone Chupacabra 50
Marshall DSL40c
Boss Katana head
Yamaha THR10x
Peavey Wolfgang
Washburn N24
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Squier CV Tele


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 11:57am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Nov 08, 2009 9:04pm
Posts: 1200
Location: New Jersey
Are you human?: 951
scottosan wrote:
Did you sell online with stipulation of refund? Could be so many things, but like not the amp,inus the tubes.

I sold it on Reverb.

_________________
EVH 5150 III 50 watt
Ceriatone Chupacabra 50
Marshall DSL40c
Boss Katana head
Yamaha THR10x
Peavey Wolfgang
Washburn N24
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Squier CV Tele


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 12:26pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker

Joined: Fri, Dec 17, 2010 8:11pm
Posts: 938
Are you human?: 951
The good part is there probably isn't anything wrong with it. Maybe it wasn't loud enough at "GIG" volume, yada yada yada....

Point being the buyer's in the current year are abusing the PP and CC policies these days getting to try used gear then return if it doesn't meet their expectations, I've seen a lot of comments lately from sellers on Reverb and YT stating "I'm not a large music store for you to try my gear just to return it". Hopefully he'll ship it back to you with no issue and not an empty box.

Make sure Reverb does not refund him until you get the amp back in your hands, I don't know what their policies are. I hope it gets resolved favorably for you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 1:37pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Oct 25, 2006 7:05pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Tampa, FL
Are you human?: 951
You had it, no issues. He buys it, retubes it, now there's issues? I'm sorry, but it smells of B.S. I would say a return should be null and void, after the buyer cracks it open. As mentioned, he's probably playing you because he doesn't like it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 3:14pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker

Joined: Wed, Apr 23, 2014 3:55pm
Posts: 950
Are you human?: 951
That's odd because I sold an amp on reverb and this buyer had a similar reason said there's a volume difference in hi and low input it ( non switchable Bogner Helios) it had new tubes and I never had a problem with it ..I refunded the transaction after receiving the amp back and I can't find the problem ...wonder if this is a thing now I've sold and bought for 15 years and this is my first refund .


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 5:09pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 7449
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
Deanmachine wrote:
That's odd because I sold an amp on reverb and this buyer had a similar reason said there's a volume difference in hi and low input it ( non switchable Bogner Helios) it had new tubes and I never had a problem with it ..I refunded the transaction after receiving the amp back and I can't find the problem ...wonder if this is a thing now I've sold and bought for 15 years and this is my first refund .

Some of these clown buyers will do this just to try out stuff, then claim it has an issue if they just don't dig it. Or, they say there is an issue and "how about sending me 80 bucks and I'll take it to my tech?" I caught one douche claiming an issue, at the same time he's got it for sale on ebay for 25% more than what he paid. Same amp. Same serial #. I won that dispute.
I had this happen on ebay more than once. Stopped using them to sell because of this.

_________________
KRG 2C+ Coliseum 1X15 Combo w/EV, Road Case
HH M900
Lexicon MPX1
Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Plum SoCal
1980 Greco EG500 LP
1985 Ibanez Destroyer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 5:19pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Oct 25, 2006 7:05pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Tampa, FL
Are you human?: 951
Racerxrated wrote:
Deanmachine wrote:
That's odd because I sold an amp on reverb and this buyer had a similar reason said there's a volume difference in hi and low input it ( non switchable Bogner Helios) it had new tubes and I never had a problem with it ..I refunded the transaction after receiving the amp back and I can't find the problem ...wonder if this is a thing now I've sold and bought for 15 years and this is my first refund .

Some of these clown buyers will do this just to try out stuff, then claim it has an issue if they just don't dig it. Or, they say there is an issue and "how about sending me 80 bucks and I'll take it to my tech?" I caught one douche claiming an issue, at the same time he's got it for sale on ebay for 25% more than what he paid. Same amp. Same serial #. I won that dispute.
I had this happen on ebay more than once. Stopped using them to sell because of this.


Exactly. Games people play, and I'm willing to bet, that's the case here. I stopped selling on Ebay 6-7 years ago. But, they're rampant on Reverb now, and had a few run-ins over at TGP. I stopped selling over there too. Too many douches over there that cry about a piece of lint.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Jan 07, 2019 11:44am 
Offline
Hack

Joined: Fri, Dec 07, 2018 8:04am
Posts: 45
Location: Qu├ębec
Are you human?: 951
Maybe he's Kemper'ed it and has no more use to it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Jan 07, 2019 6:04pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Oct 25, 2006 7:05pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Tampa, FL
Are you human?: 951
frthib wrote:
Maybe he's Kemper'ed it and has no more use to it.


That's a rampant thing now as well.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, Jan 09, 2019 1:44pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jun 22, 2011 10:40pm
Posts: 616
Are you human?: 951
Deanmachine wrote:
That's odd because I sold an amp on reverb and this buyer had a similar reason said there's a volume difference in hi and low input it ( non switchable Bogner Helios) it had new tubes and I never had a problem with it ..I refunded the transaction after receiving the amp back and I can't find the problem ...wonder if this is a thing now I've sold and bought for 15 years and this is my first refund .


Hey Dean, that was me with the Helios issues on the low input. Was by no means an issue of buyer's remorse etc. Can't tell you how many amps I've owned over the years and I've never asked for a return from the seller on a used item. In this case, I just did not feel right paying a tech/sending to Bogner to troubleshoot an amp that was sold as operating normally. As I discussed in the messages on Reverb, I've owned the Helios before and am aware of how they're supposed to sound.

I mean, I lost $200 bucks on the transaction just repacking it and shipping it back across the country which I didn't WANT to do, I assure you.

Anyway, you were cool about the situation and we took care of it civilly which I appreciate.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:01am 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Oct 25, 2006 7:05pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Tampa, FL
Are you human?: 951
Bxlxaxkxe wrote:
Deanmachine wrote:
That's odd because I sold an amp on reverb and this buyer had a similar reason said there's a volume difference in hi and low input it ( non switchable Bogner Helios) it had new tubes and I never had a problem with it ..I refunded the transaction after receiving the amp back and I can't find the problem ...wonder if this is a thing now I've sold and bought for 15 years and this is my first refund .


Hey Dean, that was me with the Helios issues on the low input. Was by no means an issue of buyer's remorse etc. Can't tell you how many amps I've owned over the years and I've never asked for a return from the seller on a used item. In this case, I just did not feel right paying a tech/sending to Bogner to troubleshoot an amp that was sold as operating normally. As I discussed in the messages on Reverb, I've owned the Helios before and am aware of how they're supposed to sound.

I mean, I lost $200 bucks on the transaction just repacking it and shipping it back across the country which I didn't WANT to do, I assure you.

Anyway, you were cool about the situation and we took care of it civilly which I appreciate.


He says he couldn't find any issues when he got it back? If there was, in fact, something wrong with it, I would think you'd get that $200 back, no?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:44pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB

Joined: Sun, May 24, 2015 10:06pm
Posts: 79
Are you human?: 951
To hell with 1 negative feedback. Most smart buyers can recognize an idiot who leaves negative feedback over something that they didn't get it their way. If it worked fine when you left, how do you know he didn't spill a drink on it while at practice, or maybe there's a lot of cigarette/pot smoking going on at practice getting down in those sensitive electronics.

The only way I'd work with him is if he took it to a qualified tech that ISN'T his best friend or something, and the tech calls you and says yeah hey, turns out so and so resistor was blown, it'll be $60 or whatever. Then you can work out a deal with him on splitting up or you paying the tech fee for an actual bad part. Otherwise, it sounds like buyer's remorse. He bought it, it's his.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 7:47pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Oct 25, 2006 7:05pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Tampa, FL
Are you human?: 951
Matt300ZXT wrote:
To hell with 1 negative feedback. Most smart buyers can recognize an idiot who leaves negative feedback over something that they didn't get it their way. If it worked fine when you left, how do you know he didn't spill a drink on it while at practice, or maybe there's a lot of cigarette/pot smoking going on at practice getting down in those sensitive electronics.

The only way I'd work with him is if he took it to a qualified tech that ISN'T his best friend or something, and the tech calls you and says yeah hey, turns out so and so resistor was blown, it'll be $60 or whatever. Then you can work out a deal with him on splitting up or you paying the tech fee for an actual bad part. Otherwise, it sounds like buyer's remorse. He bought it, it's his.


I agree. I've been doing it long enough, I can smell BS a mile away.

When I bought my Yeti, I got it with bent transformers, the 1/2 power switch turned out to be an FX loop bypass, (that was faulty that I had to fix), and the tube buffered FX loop wasn't tube buffered at all. He was smug about it, didn't take any ownership of it, whatsoever. He even admitted, (after I confronted him), that he had issues with the switch, and tubes, (also after the fact, and I retubed it, (at my expense), and told him it had bad tubes). I let it go, and after fixing everything, left positive feedback anyway, (since he had a great reputation, up to that point, and I decided to just be a nice guy). A MONTH later, that fucking asshole left me negative feedback, for no reason, other than just to be a fucking asshole. Asshole.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Jan 11, 2019 10:55am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Sep 30, 2010 8:07pm
Posts: 7110
Location: St. Louis
Are you human?: 951
napalmdeath wrote:
Matt300ZXT wrote:
To hell with 1 negative feedback. Most smart buyers can recognize an idiot who leaves negative feedback over something that they didn't get it their way. If it worked fine when you left, how do you know he didn't spill a drink on it while at practice, or maybe there's a lot of cigarette/pot smoking going on at practice getting down in those sensitive electronics.

The only way I'd work with him is if he took it to a qualified tech that ISN'T his best friend or something, and the tech calls you and says yeah hey, turns out so and so resistor was blown, it'll be $60 or whatever. Then you can work out a deal with him on splitting up or you paying the tech fee for an actual bad part. Otherwise, it sounds like buyer's remorse. He bought it, it's his.


I agree. I've been doing it long enough, I can smell BS a mile away.

When I bought my Yeti, I got it with bent transformers, the 1/2 power switch turned out to be an FX loop bypass, (that was faulty that I had to fix), and the tube buffered FX loop wasn't tube buffered at all. He was smug about it, didn't take any ownership of it, whatsoever. He even admitted, (after I confronted him), that he had issues with the switch, and tubes, (also after the fact, and I retubed it, (at my expense), and told him it had bad tubes). I let it go, and after fixing everything, left positive feedback anyway, (since he had a great reputation, up to that point, and I decided to just be a nice guy). A MONTH later, that fucking asshole left me negative feedback, for no reason, other than just to be a fucking asshole. Asshole.


Wow. That is messed up. People suck these days.

_________________
"Your cab on the floor becomes one with the earth, thus more resonant."

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Jan 11, 2019 10:58am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Sep 30, 2010 8:07pm
Posts: 7110
Location: St. Louis
Are you human?: 951
To OP.

As sad as it sounds, check the tubes again.

I bought an amp from Sweetwater a while back. Had issues, replaced with brand new tubes. Issue still there.

I had a return ready to go, packed in the box ready for after work. My buddy convinced me to try different tubes. I gave it one more shot before going to UPS. Sure enough, the brand new tested tubes I bought were bad.

_________________
"Your cab on the floor becomes one with the earth, thus more resonant."

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 5:41pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Nov 08, 2009 9:04pm
Posts: 1200
Location: New Jersey
Are you human?: 951
Well, I finally got the head back and I've been playing it for well over an hour. I can't find any issues with it.


Attachments:
IMG_20190115_173727.jpg
IMG_20190115_173727.jpg [ 376.36 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]

_________________
EVH 5150 III 50 watt
Ceriatone Chupacabra 50
Marshall DSL40c
Boss Katana head
Yamaha THR10x
Peavey Wolfgang
Washburn N24
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Squier CV Tele
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 6:19pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker

Joined: Fri, Dec 17, 2010 8:11pm
Posts: 938
Are you human?: 951
At least you got it back with no damage. I'm not surprised you are finding no issues. The buyer probably just did not like it and exercised the liberal return policies being pushed on user gear sellers.

In the old days if you bought a used amp that you did not jive with you would just re-sell it.

Nowadays buyers know they can try any used amp and return it if they lie about a malfunction and then return it, it's a win win for them until they sell something and are expecting a buyer with some ethics and moral conviction. :gethim:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 7:33pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Dec 28, 2010 6:26pm
Posts: 1118
Location: The Bay Area
Are you human?: 951
ledvedder wrote:
Well, I finally got the head back and I've been playing it for well over an hour. I can't find any issues with it.


Cool trio of amps you have there now. I`d put the grill back on the EVH ASAP but that's just me


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 8:03pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Nov 08, 2009 9:04pm
Posts: 1200
Location: New Jersey
Are you human?: 951
hammered wrote:
ledvedder wrote:
Well, I finally got the head back and I've been playing it for well over an hour. I can't find any issues with it.


Cool trio of amps you have there now. I`d put the grill back on the EVH ASAP but that's just me

Thanks! I had it off because I was experimenting with preamp tubes.

_________________
EVH 5150 III 50 watt
Ceriatone Chupacabra 50
Marshall DSL40c
Boss Katana head
Yamaha THR10x
Peavey Wolfgang
Washburn N24
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Squier CV Tele


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 8:55pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Oct 25, 2006 7:05pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Tampa, FL
Are you human?: 951
ledvedder wrote:
Well, I finally got the head back and I've been playing it for well over an hour. I can't find any issues with it.


Image

Another asshole abusing the system. I told you he was full of shit. If you haven't, leave negative feedback. Let others know his game.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], RedPlated and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use