Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Dec 13, 2019 8:08pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 02, 2019 11:18am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I'm considering selling a few things and ordering a McNaught X5 (the explorer shape).
I've heard nothing but good things about his guitars and I was wondering if anyone here has any
experience with them.
You know $3500 is a lot for the base price on a guitar, at least for me it is. I'm super happy with my Kiesel Cs6 that I had built and it was only $2200.
I'm not trying to compare Kiesel and McNaught I'm just saying are his guitars worth the extra $?

Thanks

Schecter -1 FR-S
Taylor 814
Tracy amps AC1 50 watter (my brand)
Diezel VH4
Marshall full stack 2-4x12
sour mash vertical 2x12
EVH 15 watt lunchbox
Fractal FX8 x 2

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 02, 2019 11:38am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I currently own my 5th McNaught, and have never been disappointed! I’ve always bought used so can’t speak to the ordering process. IMO one of the best built guitars.

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 02, 2019 12:24pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Are you human?: 951
I've owned 5 in the past 10 yrs. I currently have 2 of his newer neck joint VSCs and thought about trying to get one of my old ones back :). He builds an overall great guitar! I too have bought used or already made and at a dealer, so don't know much about the ordering process. Dave has always responded promptly on Facebook when I've had questions about his guitars.

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 02, 2019 1:16pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Great guitars I have 2, a G5 and a DJ+. I got the G5 used, but custom ordered the DJ+ directly from Dave. He was great to work with, but the guitar did take a long time to be completed (about 2 years). I would go through a dealer next time that already had a build spot lined up. I sold my custom ordered Suhr Modern to pay for the build, never regretted it. When my build was happening he would post pictures of the build on his forum which was cool. Wouldn't hesitate to order another one, and it would be an X-5

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 02, 2019 2:52pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Killer axe's
I have 2
Nitrous ,double diamond top with Lynch Bomber graphics and a glow in the dark Rising Sun flag on the 12th fret.
Starr, diamond top with hot rod flamed stained top. too much other custom touches to list.

Attention to detail is Davids claim to fame.

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 02, 2019 8:58pm 
Immortal Rock God

You won't go wrong with David. Top shelf luthier and good people. Just had another VSC delivered. He can get a little backed up at times but won't BS you.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 04, 2019 10:12am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

thanks for the input guys

Schecter -1 FR-S
Taylor 814
Diezel VH4
sour mash vertical 2x12
EVH 15 watt lunchbox
Fractal FX8 x 2

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 04, 2019 1:00pm 
Supah Stah

I had a Phoenix years ago, and my buddy currently has four Mcnaughts.Every one of them are/were absolutely amazing. I’m talking like, can’t get much better amazing. The quality and craftsmanship is absolutely jaw dropping. Each one has played, sounded, felt and looked top level. My buddy’s latest one is a custom ordered V, and the whole process from ordering to receiving the finished product exceeded his expectations. IMO Mcnaught is the master. :worship:

Last edited by Beyond Black on Mon, Mar 04, 2019 6:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 04, 2019 5:31pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I remember drooling over all the crazy McNaughts from the Roman years back when I first got internet in the 90s.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 04, 2019 5:58pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I have one, a Nitrous XD, Fantastic guitar! Incredibly high quality workmanship and great tone.

Good deals with glpg80, metalhead, motorpud, texmarkmusic, projectx102, Dark Aegis, DaveP, glip22, Captain Stinko, mctallica1, 232cap, hthomas, drumdude, gbsmusic, steve39stripes, PaulyPanacea, tehuk, apophis, KingGuitar, danyeo, tripwirecartel, kensmith, 232cap, AdamofAngels, psychodave, warhead78, harddriver, ibzprestige, krueger, timeroo, parntz145, moltenmetalburn

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 05, 2019 11:36am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I’ve never read a bad thing about them. Ever.

Most responses=> WtNHuqHWefU

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 05, 2019 6:49pm 
Rock God

Man I have WICKED McNaught GAS. Sully Raven is high on the list as well

Gear Demos from a Guy Who Loves Gear!!!

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://dunkysndemos.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 05, 2019 7:01pm 
Rock God

JerEvil wrote:
Man I have WICKED McNaught GAS. Sully Raven is high on the list as well

I would go McNaught over Sully. I had five or six Mcnaughts. Flawless builds with impeccable fretwork. I did not love the Sully.
Just depends what you are looking for. There are many great builders out there as you know.

gbsmusic,Ignoramus,RipleyRipley,WizardOzz,Spaceboy,Tonmazz,Sjk,warhead78,
fuzzyguitars,bwgintegra,Bluplirstand,londaxe,* velcro-fly *Parap14 and at least 25 more

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 06, 2019 1:21pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Too bad your not looking for a VSC

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 06, 2019 1:32pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Marykelly wrote:
I remember drooling over all the crazy McNaughts from the Roman years back when I first got internet in the 90s.

Haha me too. I ended up getting one as a result.

Absolutely great guitars.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 06, 2019 1:40pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

When his shoo was in CT I made an appointment and went. It was my first time seeing all those great builders under one roof. It started me on that journey of handbuilt stuff.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 06, 2019 2:32pm 
Apprentice NOOB

David makes a fine guitar... My VSC has sustain for days! And he is a stand up human being!!!

"The Wolf does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep" Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 06, 2019 8:24pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

No personal experience, but stunning visuals. I know Splawn used some of McNaught's flame top for his headshells. I believe Tony Rombola had one of the first like that.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 07, 2019 5:30am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

bikerdude2 wrote:

why are you selling one ?

Schecter -1 FR-S
Taylor 814
Diezel VH4
sour mash vertical 2x12
EVH 15 watt lunchbox
Fractal FX8 x 2

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 07, 2019 8:22am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

splatter wrote:
bikerdude2 wrote:

why are you selling one ?

Yes had it listed then changed my mind. Back to selling it. Currently on the gear page. VSC with a super rare Rosewood Neck. She’s a bad bitch. Probably trading it Saturday so if your interested let me know ASAP!

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 07, 2019 5:04pm 
Supah Stah

Do you owners feel your McNaughts have a unique tone and response, due to their proprietary set-thru neck construction ? Its kind of half way between a traditional Gibson set neck and BC Rich inspired neck through. To me there's a huge difference in how set neck and neck through designs "breathe" and resonate. I like them both but they each have their own unique vibe and feel. The McNaught design must feel unique as well.

Larry amplification
Bogner cabinets w/Celestion Marshall Vintage speakers
BRJ Vixen, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Wagner pickups
RJM, Diamond, Origin, FoxRox, Dunlop, H.B.E. effects

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo, Nondeplume, chocolatefish, Beyond Black, lespaul6, kickaxeguitars, psychodave, Tonelover, exo-metal

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 07, 2019 10:01pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

thegame wrote:
Do you owners feel your McNaughts have a unique tone and response, due to their proprietary set-thru neck construction ? Its kind of half way between a traditional Gibson set neck and BC Rich inspired neck through. To me there's a huge difference in how set neck and neck through designs "breathe" and resonate. I like them both but they each have their own unique vibe and feel. The McNaught design must feel unique as well.

I’ve played it back to back with a friends LP Axcess ( I know, Floyd makes a difference) and it was def different tone wise. I personally think they are LP killers and love the sustain they produce

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 07, 2019 10:40pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

thegame wrote:

I had a Phoenix. It had a very wide sound soundstage with a smooth, sustaining tone. That’s what always stuck out to me with that guitar. It had a bit more sustain than most set-neck single-cuts i’ve played. Clean tones and leads were pretty stunning. It sound good for rhythm playing too, but it lacked some bite & in-your-face aggressiveness compared to my favorite LP style axes.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 08, 2019 10:35am 
Supah Stah

fearhk213 wrote:
thegame wrote:

I had a Phoenix. It had a very wide sound soundstage with a smooth, sustaining tone. That’s what always stuck out to me with that guitar. It had a bit more sustain than most set-neck single-cuts i’ve played. Clean tones and leads were pretty stunning. It sound good for rhythm playing too, but it lacked some bite & in-your-face aggressiveness compared to my favorite LP style axes.

Do you recall the full wood compliment and pickups of that Phoenix ? I agree that LP style set necks are the most in your face type. They just bark more and have a raunchier, rougher rock edge to them. I like it but if I had to choose, I prefer the smoother sustaining character of neck through designs and from the sounds of it, the McNaught character. I don't really care for bolt ons, FWIW.

Larry amplification
Bogner cabinets w/Celestion Marshall Vintage speakers
BRJ Vixen, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Wagner pickups
RJM, Diamond, Origin, FoxRox, Dunlop, H.B.E. effects

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo, Nondeplume, chocolatefish, Beyond Black, lespaul6, kickaxeguitars, psychodave, Tonelover, exo-metal

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 08, 2019 12:00pm 
Supah Stah

I used to own this “Halloween Orange” Phoenix. It sounded amazing and would sustain for days. You could actually feel the vibration of the strings resonate through the guitars body into yours. I have a Bacchus SG That also does that, as does my friend’s Phoenix. Amazing guitars.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 08, 2019 12:04pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

thegame wrote:
fearhk213 wrote:
thegame wrote:

Do you recall the full wood compliment and pickups of that Phoenix ? I agree that LP style set necks are the most in your face type. They just bark more and have a raunchier, rougher rock edge to them. I like it but if I had to choose, I prefer the smoother sustaining character of neck through designs and from the sounds of it, the McNaught character. I don't really care for bolt ons, FWIW.

Mine had a korina neck and body, quilted maple top, an ebony board, TOM bridge. Mine supposedly had Duncan black backs. I’ve never been able to determine if those actually were something different than an off the shelf Duncan or just a custom custom with a painted back like many suspect.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 08, 2019 12:07pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I have a mcnaught bolt on. Great guitar, and dave is an artist. Buy with confidence