Ibanez Super Wizard HP Neck

alan67

Can anyone tell me what this neck profile is like? Simply a new name for the Wizard?

I haven't checked on that neck, but ibanez wiki has the dimensions on most necks. I know that is new, so it may not be on there, but the Ibanez catalog would have the dimensions and you can then cross reference against the guitar you own on wiki. At least that's what I do, as I'm loving the styling and features of the new Martin Miller sig.

alan67":1ki5pbn1 said:
Can anyone tell me what this neck profile is like? Simply a new name for the Wizard?
It feels different to any other Ibanez Wizard neck profile I've tried/owned between 2000 to around 2015. I've bought and sold many Ibanez Prestige and Artist RG models during that time period trying to find an RG like my old 1990 Ibanez RG550. Only thing that came close was a PGM301 Paul Gilbert sig. It felt great to play but it didn't have the tone. It was way too bright and lacked balls. Then in 2018 I wandered into a guitar store and tried a few guitars just to kill some time. The store had a couple of 2018 Prestige guitars with the Super Wizard neck profile. I purchased a 2018 Prestige model that day, two 2018 Genesis models a month later, and then another 2018 Prestige model a month after that. These are the closest Ibanez have come to replicating that magic they had in the late 80's/early 90's era RG's.

Thanks for the input guys- loved the original wizard necks but now that I'm old, they're just a bit too thin feeling for me.

I love the prestige series but why the hell does Ibanez charge a shit ton for Mahogany bodies vs the crappy basswood bodies they put on their medium tier guitars. Every time it's a prestige based guitar with a killer neck it's like 1500+ for model with a mahogany body. I'm sorry I absolutely hate their more affordable prestige models that have basswood. It's frustrating to me at least...because the tone from their asswood is so weak in comparison to mahogany......the Genesis peaked my interest for about 2 seconds until I realized that they are basswood......yeeesh

shred-o-holic":2kqgdgtw said:
I love the prestige series but why the hell does Ibanez charge a shit ton for Mahogany bodies vs the crappy basswood bodies they put on their medium tier guitars. Every time it's a prestige based guitar with a killer neck it's like 1500+ for model with a mahogany body. I'm sorry I absolutely hate their more affordable prestige models that have basswood. It's frustrating to me at least...because the tone from their asswood is so weak in comparison to mahogany......the Genesis peaked my interest for about 2 seconds until I realized that they are basswood......yeeesh

Check out the Ibanez RG657MSK STB Prestige Electric Guitar.

I bought one of these this year. It is a more affordable prestige guitar with Super Wizard HP 5pc Maple/Walnut neck, Mahogany body/Oak top.

It sounds fantastic with better top and bottom end response than the basswood versions. I replaced the Dimarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton with Duncan Distortion/Jazz and it opened up the sound even more. The tone zone was a bit too bass/low mid heavy for me. The mahogany body brings out enough of the lower frequencies and the Duncan Distortion fill in the high mids/treble nicely.

alan67":36avnytm said:

I have an Ibanez with that neck. It is currently the slimmest neck Ibanez makes. Basically slim and flat all the way down the neck. The 1990s necks are supposedly slightly slimmer but this one feels pretty good to me for shredding and chords. You can find the exact measurements online. Just go to a store and try one out. I found this neck the most comfortable out of the entire Ibanez range.

I was under the impression they were the same only thinner.
I had a prestige with an HP neck . I loved the way it played but it made my hand hurt so bad I had to send it back.

Now that you mention it, my hand also hurt with power cords between the first and fifth frets on the E & A strings when I first got it but I did get used to it. The flat neck makes your wrist bend a little more than a D neck

Back