NPD! VFE Standout. holy crap boost.

Not sure if this means he will not be offering it any longer.

"I am finishing out my inventory of Standout mid booster pedals by building custom ones in various colors."

glip22":2l479acd said:
Not sure if this means he will not be offering it any longer.

"I am finishing out my inventory of Standout mid booster pedals by building custom ones in various colors."

I believe Peter put out a video stating he was at least temporarily if not permanently shutting down VFE due to personal reasons. Too bad, he was one of my favorite builders

He is closing shop for good to deal with his newborns medicl bills/surgery.

Best front end pedal there is for high gainers period. As variability is absolutely necessary to dial in different rigs etc. bringing studio smarts to the life pedalboard.

snowdog":3um8ca4z said:
doesn't compare to the Buxom Boost

Apples and oranges, these pedals don’t even do the same thing. Buxom has regular active eq three band eq and can add eq. Standout can only trim off the fat (harmonics and boost level.

You may like buxom more however for your need but it cannot achieve the same goals as standout.

I have been using pre distortion eq with boost for 15 years, used to be my secret weapon haha. Tried every eq pedal, rackmount eq etc with lpf/hpf i could ever get my hands on. Standout is the current king IMO.

moltenmetalburn":3i0x6s13 said:
snowdog":3i0x6s13 said:
doesn't compare to the Buxom Boost

Apples and oranges, these pedals don’t even do the same thing. Buxom has regular active eq three band eq and can add eq. Standout can only trim off the fat (harmonics and boost level.

You may like buxom more however for your need but it cannot achieve the same goals as standout.

I have been using pre distortion eq with boost for 15 years, used to be my secret weapon haha. Tried every eq pedal, rackmount eq etc with lpf/hpf i could ever get my hands on. Standout is the current king IMO.
Agreed. I have both and use them for different purposes. I use the Standout for maximum tightness and attack, while the Buxom Boost gives a nice growl, thickness, and a bottom end that’s huge, but still pretty tight and no midrange nasally thing going on with it

Both great pedals! Neither though are as organic or musical sounding as my Lazy Cruiser, Spaceman Mercury IV, Klon Centaur or even my Timmy V1, but I guess the prices reflect that. Maybe it has to do with the components, but I’m not a technical guy, so I can only go with what I hear

I got to go to the studio and play with it in front of my evh for an hour or so without anyone there, and its just impressive what it does to tighten up my rhythm channel(blue). it definitely does what I wanted the grind or 33 pedals to do, but with the blend knob being able to dial back the effected signal, and control over the lows and highs, makes it so much more versatile.
I did see that the new fortin saw boost has what looks like a level/lows/highs layout. looks pretty cool.

I tried the Standout with my stock JMP 2203. I pulled out a few of my favorite over drives and put them in line with the Standout. After lots of tweaking, I can get the Standout to mimic almost everything.

I can’t wait to get the Dragon Overdrive.

psychodave":2d1dwtiv said:
I tried the Standout with my stock JMP 2203. I pulled out a few of my favorite over drives and put them in line with the Standout. After lots of tweaking, I can get the Standout to mimic almost everything.

I can’t wait to get the Dragon Overdrive.

nice.

Got my standout last week (the hot pink one). Cool ass pedal. Great tweak-ability. Just got it on the pedal board, and got to run it though a few of my amps.
First impression is super solid.
It does what I wishes the grind did. It can still get that cocked sound. But you can dial in less of it, more bass, less high end. Boom! Like others have said I’m sure with enough time dialing, it can mimic most boosts.

VD74WrWl.jpg

moltenmetalburn":1pg03gmv said:
V2a":1pg03gmv said:
I'm in. Just purchased one on Reverb. VFE is going out of business, so get 'em while they are available!

oh yeah, I have a pair for this reason. I want a third charge pump model as well.

I use one for leads and one for rhythms set differently atm.

I asked about the charge pump. Peter said since I’m running 18 volts right now, the difference if negligible to 20. I realize I could use a 12 volt supply to get over 20 volts, but I doubt it will make it any better.

On another note, I turned the makeup gain pot inside very low. I didn’t need the added gain it gave. Now I can turn the level knob up a little more for more tweaking. I wish I paid attention to this pedal back in 2017.

psychodave":1loixqky said:
moltenmetalburn":1loixqky said:
V2a":1loixqky said:
I'm in. Just purchased one on Reverb. VFE is going out of business, so get 'em while they are available!

oh yeah, I have a pair for this reason. I want a third charge pump model as well.

I asked about the charge pump. Peter said since I’m running 18 volts right now, the difference if negligible to 20. I realize I could use a 12 volt supply to get over 20 volts, but I doubt it will make it any better.

On another note, I turned the makeup gain pot inside very low. I didn’t need the added gain it gave. Now I can turn the level knob up a little more for more tweaking. I wish I paid attention to this pedal back in 2017.

Thank you, that’s good to know. I was really tempted into buying one with the mod.

DeathbyButterslax":1lne75yk said:
psychodave":1lne75yk said:
moltenmetalburn":1lne75yk said:
V2a":1lne75yk said:

Thank you, that’s good to know. I was really tempted into buying one with the mod.

Here are his exact words:

The difference between 9V and 18V is relatively minor for most use cases, but the difference between 18V & 20V would be nearly impossible to distinguish. If you have an 18V power supply that is convenient to use, then that's the best solution.

Thanks - Peter

As my wish list, I’d love a version with no blend knob...so it would be full EQ as well as an internal switch to adjust the level for use with high gain amps.

psychodave":2aexj1ux said:
DeathbyButterslax":2aexj1ux said:
psychodave":2aexj1ux said:
moltenmetalburn":2aexj1ux said:
V2a":2aexj1ux said:

Here are his exact words:

The difference between 9V and 18V is relatively minor for most use cases, but the difference between 18V & 20V would be nearly impossible to distinguish. If you have an 18V power supply that is convenient to use, then that's the best solution.

Thanks - Peter

As my wish list, I’d love a version with no blend knob...so it would be full EQ as well as an internal switch to adjust the level for use with high gain amps.

true but feeding the pump 12 yieldsd 27 volts. I do doubt its worth it . i started with the rocket boost in 2010 then focus whenever it came out then i had the standout kickstarter haha. literally had them all.

anybody care to explain the difference between dragon and standout...i realize the standout has the blend and dragon has a drive knob but what else is different?

apophis":2o1i9ugm said:
anybody care to explain the difference between dragon and standout...i realize the standout has the blend and dragon has a drive knob but what else is different?

The Dragon gets delivered tomorrow, so I’ll let you know :D

psychodave":42qp8im5 said:
apophis":42qp8im5 said:

The Dragon gets delivered tomorrow, so I’ll let you know :D

Post your review brother! Cheers

The Standout stays pretty clean where the Dragon can about hit distortion run into a clean amp. The distortion on the Dragon has a fairly unique voice. I will let other give their opinion about that.

Back