NPD! VFE Standout. holy crap boost.

mchn13

wow. I cant believe with all the popularity of tight metal boosts these days, that this seems to have been missed. shit playing, and shit iPhone quality, but it shows the intensity of the boost, and I just have it dialed straight up at noon.very versatile so far. anyone use these or have any experience with them? I know godgrinder had a sick clip of the focus, and a dsl.

Vfe standout test. by steve moore, on Flickr

For tight rhythm these guys and the Savage drive are the best boosts you can get. Did you get one with the charge pump? I’m considering one to see if it stays cleaner at higher boost levels

@OP, you running the Standout at 9 or 18VDC? I got 18v jumper cables not to long for my power supply for this pedal. Definitely makes the pedal “fuller”. Not that it doesnt kick you in the balls at 9v to begin with.

I have one, I’ve tried multiple times, I just can’t jive with It. Probably going to end up selling.
It doesn’t sound necessarily bad to me, but I get along with my other OD pedals more.

I’ve been mentioning it in a bunch of posts here. For maximum tightness and attack, it beats everything I’ve tried. I sold my Fortin 33, Grind and Horizon Precision Drive once I got the Standout because it smoked them! It’s also much better than the Focus was. I don’t use mine as often as my other 7 boost type pedals, but it’s perfect for what it does

I used to have a Savage and it was also cool, but between my Standout, Timmy V1, Ethos TLE and a few others I have, the Savage really has nothing to offer compared to them imo, but still a nice, versatile pedal and reasonably priced as are the VFE’s

braintheory":16dsn8jk said:
I’ve been mentioning it in a bunch of posts here. For maximum tightness and attack, it beats everything I’ve tried. I sold my Fortin 33, Grind and Horizon Precision Drive once I got the Standout because it smoked them! It’s also much better than the Focus was. I don’t use mine as often as my other 7 boost type pedals, but it’s perfect for what it does

I used to have a Savage and it was also cool, but between my Standout, Timmy V1, Ethos TLE and a few others I have, the Savage really has nothing to offer compared to them imo, but still a nice, versatile pedal and reasonably priced as are the VFE’s

I hear ya, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. In theory it is EXACTLY what I would want and need. Do you mind posting how you got yours set? Maybe I'm using it wrong. I have it set as the last pedal before the Zuul noise gate and amp's input.

stratjacket":30ozaay4 said:
braintheory":30ozaay4 said:

I hear ya, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. In theory it is EXACTLY what I would want and need. Do you mind posting how you got yours set? Maybe I'm using it wrong. I have it set as the last pedal before the Zuul noise gate and amp's input.
I’ll have to double check, but I think I had the top 2 knobs both around noon and the bottom 2 around 11 o’ clock

Maybe the Standout is just not a good fit for your amps or maybe you just don’t like it’s inherent upper mid djenty/nasally thing it has going on? Have you tried the Fortin 33? If you didn’t like that, I can see the Standout not doing it either since it’s like a better version of that imo

Fwiw, I think it works wonderfully with my Mark iic+ and blug and also pretty good with my Engl SE EL34, but don’t like it as much with my Marshall type amps (Cameron mods and a Wizard mtl)

DeathbyButterslax":13qnua06 said:
For tight rhythm these guys and the Savage drive are the best boosts you can get. Did you get one with the charge pump? I’m considering one to see if it stays cleaner at higher boost levels
I dont know about the charge pump. I kept the level low; like right past noon as it has a ton of output. Reminds me of a pq3 as a boost in that regard.

bhuard75":3q96gwzx said:
@OP, you running the Standout at 9 or 18VDC? I got 18v jumper cables not to long for my power supply for this pedal. Definitely makes the pedal “fuller”. Not that it doesnt kick you in the balls at 9v to begin with.

Nah just a cheapo 9v supply i had at the house.

jkdsteve":2rsf97hx said:
Pretty impressive on lil Randal RM20 (?) and iPhone mic.
The rm20 with the recto module, boosted makes a cool practice rig, and a good test subject for my boost addiction. Now to get an interface and learn to do this for real. An engineer i am not...

slash57X":223q2ui3 said:
Do you find it noisy? I feel like my Maxon OD808 is quieter
Ill find out tomorrow with my evh rig. I usually dont use a boost with it these days, but i think with the blue channel it might be the icing on the cake. Cant see using it on the red channel...
I use an isp g string on the red channel, so should be able to shut it up if it is. Ill try to post a vid from practice tomorrow.

slash57X":3s2m0tty said:

It's noisy when you turn up the output volume, but you don't really need to max it like a tubescreamer.

godgrinder":14gbr5yb said:
slash57X":14gbr5yb said:

It's noisy when you turn up the output volume, but you don't really need to max it like a tubescreamer.

I noticed that immediately. it has a shit ton of output. I basically had it just past noon, and not even halfway to one o'clock in that vid.
godgrinder-your focus video was the first metal vid I saw, and the reason ive been wanting to try one of these.

braintheory":3vwnsdhe said:

Since you mentioned it, I have a V1 Timmy and find that rolling off the bass completely makes my Uberschall super tight. Would you feel the standout is better than the Timmy V1?

psychodave":19d33cly said:
braintheory":19d33cly said:

Since you mentioned it, I have a V1 Timmy and find that rolling off the bass completely makes my Uberschall super tight. Would you feel the standout is better than the Timmy V1?
It depends on exactly what you’re looking to get out of the Standout. Even with the bass rolled off all the way, it still won’t get quite the same level of attack or tightness as the Standout, but maybe close enough depending on your taste. I remember you hated the 33, so you may also hate the Standout because it has that same upper mid djenty/nasally thing, but I felt it basically beat the 33 at its own game.

I find my Timmy V1 to be a much more versatile pedal. It still gets plenty tight while maintaining plenty of bottom end and transparent in its eq curve and it’s more organic sounding to me than the Standout, but if you want the absolute maximum amount of tightness and attack and don’t mind that mid thing it has going on, then the Standout is worth getting. There’s also I believe a 14 day return policy for the Standout if it’s not your thing. May be worth considering

The Standout is more of a specialty pedal to me for ultimate tightness, while the Timmy is one of my most used boost pedals

Surprisingly, I can pretty much match the Standout’s tightness and attack with my Ethos TLE (a dumble style pedal) without any mid hump whatsoever, but it gets very noisy at those settings and it’s price is a bit steep

braintheory":cugw24ui said:
psychodave":cugw24ui said:
braintheory":cugw24ui said:

It depends on exactly what you’re looking to get out of the Standout. Even with the bass rolled off all the way, it still won’t get quite the same level of attack or tightness as the Standout, but maybe close enough depending on your taste. I remember you hated the 33, so you may also hate the Standout because it has that same upper mid djenty/nasally thing, but I felt it basically beat the 33 at its own game.

I find my Timmy V1 to be a much more versatile pedal. It still gets plenty tight while maintaining plenty of bottom end and transparent in its eq curve and it’s more organic sounding to me than the Standout, but if you want the absolute maximum amount of tightness and attack and don’t mind that mid thing it has going on, then the Standout is worth getting. There’s also I believe a 14 day return policy for the Standout if it’s not your thing. May be worth considering

The Standout is more of a specialty pedal to me for ultimate tightness, while the Timmy is one of my most used boost pedals

Surprisingly, I can pretty much match the Standout’s tightness and attack with my Ethos TLE (a dumble style pedal) without any mid hump whatsoever, but it gets very noisy at those settings and it’s price is a bit steep

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

slash57X":29f34rrl said:

One thing to consider when evaluating noise level is the Standout has massive amounts of output compared to the Maxon OD808. I run my Standout with the level around 1 or 2 O'clock and it still has way more output than the 808. Cranking output level on Standout can get noisy but, at my settings my Decimator has no issues taming any noise.

Here are my settings for surgical tightness. Toggle switch in middle, level about 1:00, Blend pretty much cranked, HPF about 10:30, and LPF around 1:30. Of course you will probably need to tweak for your rig.

bGzjJfo.jpg

Back