NPD! VFE Standout. holy crap boost.

Got the Dragon and it’s cool. Very different from the Standout. The Dragon adds gain whereas the Standout adds mids. Into a JMP Marshall, th Dragon is the winner. It’s quiet and can really push the amp. It’s a bit high fi sounding as well meaning it’s clear and the low end notes don’t have that fuzzy overtone. Using the Standout in front of a JMP, it’s got a lot more hiss and not as much high end. It’s still cool. In front of gain, I like the Standout more...only because I’m not looking for more overdrive. That said, I can still get a ripping sound using the Dragon, but I have to really turn the drive and level knobs down. Please note that I had the dragons internal compression trim pot turned all of the way up, and prefer it max or near max.

Both pedals are winners. It really makes me want to try the Tilt EQ pedal. Has anyone tried it?

I picked up my new Standout yesterday. Put it in front of my latest build - a 10W Jose-inspired little beast. So far, so good! I'll take a photo of the pedal with the settings I settled upon.

Edit - this:
PVLpLGLl.jpg

V2a":1pdk7nf1 said:
I picked up my new Standout yesterday. Put it in front of my latest build - a 10W Jose-inspired little beast. So far, so good! I'll take a photo of the pedal with the settings I settled upon.

Edit - this:
PVLpLGLl.jpg

Did you try tinkering with the trim pot inside? I turned mine he down a lot since I’m using it with high gain. I liked it up with a stock JMP.

Got mine yesterday. Great pedal. Love it with my Triple Recto. Better than my Koko boost. Though I’m still liking the Koko better with my Wizards. I’m gonna see if I can get it closer and mess with the internal pot this weekend.

mhenson42":1as8g7sn said:
Got mine yesterday. Great pedal. Love it with my Triple Recto. Better than my Koko boost. Though I’m still liking the Koko better with my Wizards. I’m gonna see if I can get it closer and mess with the internal pot this weekend.

I turn down the internal makes up gain trim pot a lot when I use it with my CCV and Aldrich, so that might help with the Wizards. However, with a stock JMP, I like it turned up a bit so that it really helps drive the amp.

psychodave":2wtx7rup said:
V2a":2wtx7rup said:

Edit - this:

Did you try tinkering with the trim pot inside? I turned mine he down a lot since I’m using it with high gain. I liked it up with a stock JMP.

Yes, I followed your earlier advice on that since my amp has a lot of gain already.

V2a":1t0lhju3 said:

Edit - this:
PVLpLGLl.jpg

that's about where I ended up. except I used the 6db setting on the switch.

psychodave":3jtmjrfv said:
mhenson42":3jtmjrfv said:

I turn down the internal makes up gain trim pot a lot when I use it with my CCV and Aldrich, so that might help with the Wizards. However, with a stock JMP, I like it turned up a bit so that it really helps drive the amp.

Yeah. I like it better with the internal trim pony turn all the way down

Looks like the Standout is officially sold out and not being made anymore. Too bad, as it is one of the best pedals I owned.

i got the last one in red, also a blue dragon...how do you guys prefer the trimpot on the dragon? i have it low at the moment...about 30% on the standout. Also tried the OPA2134 opamp swap on the standout but preferred stock.

psychodave":2ftzlp0m said:
Looks like the Standout is officially sold out and not being made anymore. Too bad, as it is one of the best pedals I owned.

Cool. Now I can sell mine for $333.33!

apophis":3sr3379l said:
i got the last one in red, also a blue dragon...how do you guys prefer the trimpot on the dragon? i have it low at the moment...about 30% on the standout. Also tried the OPA2134 opamp swap on the standout but preferred stock.

I have the compression trim pot turned all the way up right now on the Dragon. The Standout is set almost all the way off.

psychodave":2sdjiwyf said:
apophis":2sdjiwyf said:

I have the compression trim pot turned all the way up right now on the Dragon. The Standout is set almost all the way off.

Do you use the Dragon as an overdrive or as a "cleanish boost"? The reason I keep the compression low is because I use it as a slightly different flavor boost and feel it adds noise if I add compression

apophis":8mgztmf0 said:

I went to his website this past Monday and they were sold out, checked his reverb store and there was was only 1 left in stock. I was lucky enough to get the very last one in Red with the text graphic. There are officially no more. I got lucky, a friend was telling me I need to get one because its a great pedal and are soon to be no longer available. Just received it today and I can say that this is one hell of a boost pedal. Worth every penny and priced fairly. In my short time with I’ve found it to be really useful and look forward to spending some time fine tuning it with my amps. I’ll be looking for another, if anyone wants to sell theirs, I’ll take it.

guitarslayer":k2dfyomq said:
apophis":k2dfyomq said:

I went to his website this past Monday and they were sold out, checked his reverb store and there was was only 1 left in stock. I was lucky enough to get the very last one in Red with the text graphic. There are officially no more. I got lucky, a friend was telling me I need to get one because its a great pedal and are soon to be no longer available. Just received it today and I can say that this is one hell of a boost pedal. Worth every penny and priced fairly. In my short time with I’ve found it to be really useful and look forward to spending some time fine tuning it with my amps. I’ll be looking for another, if anyone wants to sell theirs, I’ll take it.

lol, I want another one too.

What do you think of it compared to the Fortin pedals you own?

Back