SD Alternative 8

Not in a LP; had one in a Gutierrez Juggernaut.

Very tight, saturated, mids are good. The Jugg was a mahogany body if I remember correctly.

I did the mag swap and put that into a JB, basically takes out that weird bump it has and makes it more Alt 8 like; sounded great in a down tuned LPC.

Think you’d be good, depending on what you’re going for.

Steinmetzify":2yecwy9a said:
Not in a LP; had one in a Gutierrez Juggernaut.

Very tight, saturated, mids are good. The Jugg was a mahogany body if I remember correctly.

I did the mag swap and put that into a JB, basically takes out that weird bump it has and makes it more Alt 8 like; sounded great in a down tuned LPC.

Think you’d be good, depending on what you’re going for.

I'm trying to get rid of the EMG's that i have in 2 of my Les Pauls. I tune down to D Standard. This is what i'm looking for.

I'm thinking a pickup that is somewhere between a JB & a Custom. A Pickup that is nice & Chunky, Warm, Aggressive with Some Bloom on the low strings when strumming chords. I'd also like the Pickup to NOT be fizzy on the high end.

I wouldn’t call the Alt 8 warm, dude.

I’d hit up SD and ask em if they make something like what you describe; they’re pretty responsive.

I'm interested as well. I'm thinking about dropping one in my PRS Singlecut. How hot is it? Can it hang with the Duncan Distortion and Black Winter?

Rex Rocker":2c46hcnj said:
I'm interested as well. I'm thinking about dropping one in my PRS Singlecut. How hot is it? Can it hang with the Duncan Distortion and Black Winter?

It's pretty close but lacks the "fizz" of the Distortion, which may make it seem less hot. The Alt 8 also punches harder in the lower midrange.

I have one in a Charvel strat. I think it's great pickup: moderate to moderate high output; warm and pleasant souding. Not hyped in any part of the tone spectrum. ...nice girth without being tubby; high end is pleasant: not too shrill or rolled off. It splits very nicely.

Detroit1973":394bv1so said:
I'm thinking a pickup that is somewhere between a JB & a Custom. A Pickup that is nice & Chunky, Warm, Aggressive with Some Bloom on the low strings when strumming chords. I'd also like the Pickup to NOT be fizzy on the high end.
You're describing the Duncan Custom-5 (SH-14).
Highly recommended in a Les Paul. I have mine now in my ESP Horizon, where it replaced a JB...I wanted more chunk, more body, less shrill highs, still a good Alnico 'bloom' in that guitar. Before that I had it in a Les Paul Custom.

:thumbsup:

Rising Farce":1qql07sr said:
Rex Rocker":1qql07sr said:

It's pretty close but lacks the "fizz" of the Distortion, which may make it seem less hot. The Alt 8 also punches harder in the lower midrange.
Interesting. Thank you!

Speeddemon":335jll3n said:
Detroit1973":335jll3n said:
You're describing the Duncan Custom-5 (SH-14).
Highly recommended in a Les Paul. I have mine now in my ESP Horizon, where it replaced a JB...I wanted more chunk, more body, less shrill highs, still a good Alnico 'bloom' in that guitar. Before that I had it in a Les Paul Custom.

:thumbsup:

I'm in the Process of buying some pickups...I'm sure i'll find the right one eventually.

Back