Tube sreamer that...

too much bass introduced in the preamp section leads to flub at band volumes.. the sd1 and tube screamer cut the lows to keep things tight.. I know you know this already

I've collected a couple now...the early Zendrive, a Lovepedal Eternity roadhouse, an early ts-9, a Maxon 808 that I had Analogman true bypass and silver mod, a Cusack screamer, a Clark Gainster...hmm, there might be a couple more too.
Depending on the amp, their tones and noise level/hiss are all a bit different. I have been surprised that some didn't work with certain amps when I was for sure they would. So it's good to have options.
But I do seem to grab for the maxon, zendrive, cusack and OCD the most. Oh yeah, I have a couple of those too, the v1 and the v3. The ocd's I think are a mod on a screamer as well.
The one that cuts the bass the most would be the ts-9, the biggest sounding one is v1 ocd.

The Maxon OD808 cuts noticeably less bass than the TS808 also.

And I agree. The Duncan 805 kicks ass. I love mine.

I own a Cusack Screamer V2 like the one pictured and cant say enough good things about it. Great company to deal with too.

There are so many options out there that will likely do just what you want and sound equally great doing it, so here are few others to add to the list lol.

If you don't want to stray too far off the 808 path, the OD820 is a great option. The gain knob acts a blend between the clean signal and the one running through 808 circuit. With the gain off, the tone stays pretty fat. Then just roll it in for some dirt and more of the 808 signal.

I'd also consider the TC Spark Booster. It has a mid boost setting (though it sits differently than a TS) along with bass and treble controls so you can control the amount of bass roll off you want. It's an underrated pedal imo.

The SD-1W may be worth checking out as well. The 'custom' setting has more gain and bass than the 'stock' setting. 99% of the time I prefer the stock setting, but I tried the custom setting into a JCM800 not long ago and it was absolutely killer.

https://maxonfx.com/collections/nine-se ... -pro-vop-9

It was also the reason why i sold it. I thought it would be more of a standard tube screamer, but the tone knob seemed to add a bit of a beefier sound when turned counter clockwise. Normally with as TS you're fine with tone settings at 9oclock.. but with this thing I had to turn it up to like 3-4. Still, it sounded awesome for certain applications (certainly not for a B tuning and tight rhythm play) :)

Racerxrated":h7sbsnrz said:
The Boss OD1X clips differently than the TS but it keeps the low end intact, and can even increase it while remaining tight. The Cusack Screamer is a TS circuit and leaves the low end more intact than any other TS type that I've tried, also the Savage Drive is not a bass sucker but I'm not sure what type of clipping it has...Those 3 pedals are very good at not sucking low end, the best I've owned.

I'm fairly certain that the Savage Drive has no diode clipping whatsover and is a 100% hi fidelity clean boost pedal with a HI-FI Burr-Brown OPamp chip.

Since you like 808 pedals I would have to say a great 808 pedal that retains more lowend than a standard TS808 would be the MAXON OD808. I really like what mine does and how it does it.

The Savage Drive is a cool pedal as well but if you want some traditional 808 mojo the Maxon would be it IMHO.

hammered":2143rvhw said:
Seymour Duncan 805 or Buxom Boost . The Seymour Duncan 805 is a good bit quieter than the Buxom Boost . I've seen a few people post that the Buxom is a clean boost and doesn't add dirt maybe my ears are hearing it different cause I can set my Splawn to something a little dirtier than say AC/DC crunch and the Buxom can turn it into a fire breather
This^ I never thought it was for me till Dave said it added gain, and holy shit does it! It's no diode clipping so it's very raw imho. I run the amp gain at 12 0clock and the BB boost at 11 o'clock and it's probably more gain than most would even want. And the tight control not even 11 oclock.

harddriver":2wlgqc2r said:
Racerxrated":2wlgqc2r said:
The Boss OD1X clips differently than the TS but it keeps the low end intact, and can even increase it while remaining tight. The Cusack Screamer is a TS circuit and leaves the low end more intact than any other TS type that I've tried, also the Savage Drive is not a bass sucker but I'm not sure what type of clipping it has...Those 3 pedals are very good at not sucking low end, the best I've owned.

I'm fairly certain that the Savage Drive has no diode clipping whatsover and is a 100% hi fidelity clean boost pedal with a HI-FI Burr-Brown OPamp chip.

Since you like 808 pedals I would have to say a great 808 pedal that retains more lowend than a standard TS808 would be the MAXON OD808. I really like what mine does and how it does it.

The Savage Drive is a cool pedal as well but if you want some traditional 808 mojo the Maxon would be it IMHO.
I forgot to mention the Maxon, I own one as well but my OD1X gives more of an open sound than the Maxon, which seems to narrow it a bit. I still prefer the Boss for that reason.
I try to stay away from the boost pedal rabbit hole, man you can really fall far down into it and next thing you know you've spent a grand trying to better the tone you already have. The Savage is very cool, but noisier than the Boss and also narrows the tone to my ears.
Lots of killer options out there that's for sure.
:rock:

MKibanez":1cm4un99 said:
Hey guys, a tube screamer that doesn't suck the bass when boosting a marshally crunch, what do you recommand? I really love my TS-808 so I would like something very similar .

Thanks

Hardwire CM-2. Cheap, and actually has bass and treble controls. Way Huge Green Rhino is another.

Oh.. The MXR GT-OD is damn good as well.

Or, grab an EP Booster in run in front of the Tubescreamer. It'll fatten it right back up!

Ibanez BB-9 bottom booster. $40 all day long, badass bottom end still there. Still nice and aggressive.

Another vote just to try the Maxon OD808. Tried-and-true pedal that's easy to find and sell again if you want to try something else. I always end up back with a stock SD-1, but the Maxon OD808 maintains a lot of bass in comparison.

I am a metal guy and i use;

Airis Savage Drive
Precision Drive

Both awesome pedals to get tight and aggressive. Precision Drive has a gate that works great.

Keep in mind these are geared more towards aggressive tone shaping, no smooth,silky gain. Except the Savage Drive can get smooth and is very versatile. Not only metal oriented.

Love my Maxon OD-9... It uses the original JRC4558D chip from the initial TS-9s, and is also true bypass (not buffered).

Back