Tube sreamer that...

MKibanez

Hey guys, a tube screamer that doesn't suck the bass when boosting a marshally crunch, what do you recommand? I really love my TS-808 so I would like something very similar .

Thanks

MKibanez":34hheplh said:
Hey guys, a tube screamer that doesn't suck the bass when boosting a marshally crunch, what do you recommand? I really love my TS-808 so I would like something very similar .

Thanks
The Boss OD1X clips differently than the TS but it keeps the low end intact, and can even increase it while remaining tight. The Cusack Screamer is a TS circuit and leaves the low end more intact than any other TS type that I've tried, also the Savage Drive is not a bass sucker but I'm not sure what type of clipping it has...Those 3 pedals are very good at not sucking low end, the best I've owned.

boyedav":p4kch19j said:
Seymour Duncan 805. Similar to a TS, but with active 3-band EQ, and a slightly higher mid hump. It is nice to be able to control the amount of bass that does (or doesn't) get dialed out, as well as the amount of the mid boost.

^^^
I grabbed an 805 recently and have to agree with this.

Savage drive is cool also, and like Racerxrated said, it doesn't such as much low end as a TS.

Timmy is also nice and doesn't kill the low end as much, and you can add a bit back in with the pedals bass knob.

I have a Joyo Ultimate Drive, and have compared it to an OCD and they are very close...I used to use it in tandem with an EQ pedal for a double boosted Jubilee. I don't recall it sucking much bass....but I like the OD1X for everything nowadays.

I have a chinese clone OCD (same logo wouldn't surprise me if it was stolen off assembly line) and i like what it does but for me that much power can get a little noisy. If I were you, I would spend tad more and get the JHS bonsai, 9 screamers in one. There are a few models that do not suck the bass and sound really good. The click of the dial and you can find what you want. Chec out Pete thorn's demo on youtube.

Friedman Buxom Boost is pretty nice. There isnt any added dirt but it has a tight control and an eq on the pedal. I really enjoyed it with my Nitro.

I’d say Buxom Boost or Timmy V1 or Golden Pearl. For what it’s worth I prefer the first 2 to the OD1X

The Standout is also great if you want super tight, but it needs to be dialed in right and it isn’t agreeable with some amps

Seymour Duncan 805 or Buxom Boost . The Seymour Duncan 805 is a good bit quieter than the Buxom Boost . I've seen a few people post that the Buxom is a clean boost and doesn't add dirt maybe my ears are hearing it different cause I can set my Splawn to something a little dirtier than say AC/DC crunch and the Buxom can turn it into a fire breather

Don't forget the Boss OD-3.
Not only does it sounds miles better than an SD-1 and TS9 when used as a standalone light drive pedal, it has way more (cleanish) output on tap as well, without sucking out the bass.

Off the beaten path:
Zoom PD-01 Power Drive (AKA 'a poor man's Klon)

162bb551.jpg

Boss FA-1 FET Amp or a clone of it(with low-cut engaged and Bass at 2 o' clock). More clean boost than dirty, but a shitload of volume on tap.
boss_fa-1_001.jpg

hammered":1lh1hd8m said:
Seymour Duncan 805 or Buxom Boost . The Seymour Duncan 805 is a good bit quieter than the Buxom Boost . I've seen a few people post that the Buxom is a clean boost and doesn't add dirt maybe my ears are hearing it different cause I can set my Splawn to something a little dirtier than say AC/DC crunch and the Buxom can turn it into a fire breather
I would also agree with your comments on the Buxom boost. I use mine with the blue channel on my 5153 (50W) head......gain is set really low and boosted with the Buxom pedal. I definitely hear what I perceive as a bit of dirt being added. I know the blue channel has plenty of gain to stand on its own but I like the added controls the Buxom boost provides.

MXR M77 Custom Modified Badass Overdrive

It's a Tube Screamer with a 100 Hz knob. Giving you control over how much bass.

Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive

Tube Screamer with three band EQ.

Mesa/Boogie Grid Slammer Overdrive

Tube Screamer with more bass than typical.

A few years ago I was looking for a TS with more bass control and these fit my taste. There is many more.

Several of the pedals mentioned above are not a TS or don't sound much like a TS. They sound great but something different.

MKibanez":1dd724eh said:
I heard goods about ocd, anyone?

I use the OCD V2 a lot. It can do overdrive, boost and distortion. I like it as much as a RAT for distortion. It's a fantastic pedal - but doesn't sound a lot like a TS.
The Fulldrive is the TS type pedal by Fulltone. Probably a little closer to a SD-1 than a TS.
I have a Fulldrive 3 and Fulldrive 2 Version 2. I actually use these pedals more than any of my other boost and overdrives....they fit my taste completely. How you set the switches controls the bass and voice.

I see your using a Rectoverb. I have a Tremoverb. With the Rectifier amps added bass from a pedal can sound great for leads....but easy to get flubbing for rhythm playing. I would strongly recommend trying the pedals with your rig before buying if you can.

One that I forgot to mention, and are usually dirt cheap is a Bad Monkey. It can also add some low end, although my memory is you have to be minimal with the bass knob or it'll get flubby fast. I'm 99% sure it's a TS circuit.

Back