NPD! Fortin Zuul / Blade have landed - Pics!

I understand exactly how a noise gate works, and I am running it exactly as documented above. There are 2 signal paths, one in front of the amp, and one in the fx loop. The Zuul is a single gate, which can be triggered by the key input. You can choose to gate in front, or in the loop, but not both. The Zuul can kill all the noise from gating the FX loop, but does nothing to reduce the noise floor of the input.

It does NOT effect the noise level going into the preamp. As in noisy pickups or boost pedal etc. The ZUUL only has one path to gate. Not two.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great pedal and I like it, but misinformation being spread doesn't help anyone.

So then stop spreading misinformation. You're the only person I've ever heard of having issues with the Zuul and claiming the need to run 2 noise gates.

Do yourself a favor and watch some youtube videos on how others have successfully run their ZUUL's.

Have a great day!

I didn't claim a need to run 2 gates, but simply stated that my rig was quieter when I did. I've seen all the videos...doesn't change the fact that having a high input noise floor is unaffected by the Zuul unless you run it in front of the amp.

Is the gating "enough" running in the loop? Yes. Is it significantly quieter when I also gate in front of the amp? Yes.

Is Mike on these forums? Perhaps the designer could comment on how the pedal is truly designed and whether it gates in front of the amp or not. To me Fortin's description is pretty clear that the key input is just an on/off switch for the gate.

So should I send the pedal back to have it looked at? I thought it was working as designed. The front can’t be gated as there is no signal path through the front of the amp when it’s used in the loop. The loop gate clamps down hard when not playing based on the signal to the Key input, but that is not the same as gating to reduce input noise like you get when you run a gate in front as well.

LCW":3589ola0 said:
So then stop spreading misinformation. You're the only person I've ever heard of having issues with the Zuul and claiming the need to run 2 noise gates.

Do yourself a favor and watch some youtube videos on how others have successfully run their ZUUL's.

Have a great day!

I have heard from a bunch of people that they had issues with the zuul. What do you think of my issue?

My Zuul also adds noise to the signal when run in the front of the amp (adds high end too). I can make a video of that as well.

https://youtu.be/loY8G45AoN8

jc986":7pk5e2pz said:
So should I send the pedal back to have it looked at? I thought it was working as designed. The front can’t be gated as there is no signal path through the front of the amp when it’s used in the loop. The loop gate clamps down hard when not playing based on the signal to the Key input, but that is not the same as gating to reduce input noise like you get when you run a gate in front as well.

Can you shoot us a quick video to info@fortinamps.com? Let's get some eyes on it.

Sure thing. Like I said before though, I do think it’s working as designed. I could totally get by with just the Zuul, but it does help with noise/unwanted feedback gating the front with another gate to control the input path. I was actually considering a second Zuul to run in front since I feel it does a better job overall than the ISP.

jc986":34cff0mi said:
Sure thing. Like I said before though, I do think it’s working as designed. I could totally get by with just the Zuul, but it does help with noise/unwanted feedback gating the front with another gate to control the input path. I was actually considering a second Zuul to run in front since I feel it does a better job overall than the ISP.

Ok cool. Yeah I would just like to make sure everything is working properly for you. But if you are happy, we are happy! But feel free to email us at any time if you think there is an issue. We want to take care of it if there is an issue!

jc986":18od2m1m said:

Post a video here via YouTube. Let see if we can all help you out.

psychodave":2pslkh1b said:
LCW":2pslkh1b said:

Have a great day!

I have heard from a bunch of people that they had issues with the zuul. What do you think of my issue?

My Zuul also adds noise to the signal when run in the front of the amp (adds high end too). I can make a video of that as well.

https://youtu.be/loY8G45AoN8

Well I stand corrected...

LCW":274yf70b said:
jc986":274yf70b said:
It gates in the loop, which I agree does affect the overall noise reduction, but there is no gating of the guitar and any dirt pedals since the input signal does not pass through the Zuul. . So with high output pickups and a boost, my rig is much quieter when also using a gate in front.

I don't think you understand how a noise gate or an fx loop works. Noise gate is either open or closed. It doesn't reduce noise. It has a threshold by which it opens or closes. The knob on the ZUUL adjusts that threshold.

Not sure what amp you have, but a typical amp with a SERIES FX loop, all the signal (everything from the front of the amp, including the signal after running through the pre-amp section) runs through the FX loop when it's hooked up and/or on (some amp have switch to turn off the loop), then onto the power section, and out the speaker jack.

If you wire up the ZUUL properly through your FX loop, it's gating everything from your guitar, up to and including any pedals in front of the amp, and then the signal after it's processed by pre-amp section. Any pedals in the loop run AFTER the ZUUL in the fx loop aren't gated, which is what you'd want for modulation effects like Delay and Reverb... as they can continue to trail off after the gate is shut.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=196494#p2182811

41021191204_54c5311400.jpg

This picture posted by engage757 shows the perfect way to run it. Mine is set up this way and I have Delay and Reverb AFTER the Zuul before going back to the FX Return jack.

I agree with JC986...Looking at the diagram, it’s quite clear that the signal going into the front of the amp is not impacted by the gate. I thought the key input really just detects the signal level hitting the amp such that if it’s higher it gates more than if it’s lower (ie gates less dramatic if it’s a lower output signal like when playing clean.

The signal that goes into the front of the amp then goes through the pre-amp, through the fx loop, then through the power section. The signal isn't split internally in the amp, unless maybe in a parallel loop setup which aren't common (old Dual Recto's had parallel loops that you could blend, i think 20-80%). Note I said series fx loop, in which case 100% of the signal flows through the fx loop.

So if the gate is in the loop, by default it's gating both the front of the amp, the pre-amp, and whatever is in front of the gate in the loop.

Your point is taken, but It’s not gating the input signal before it hits the amp, which is why you might need 2... and that’s what we’re talking about... gating the input signal before the amp

engage757":3hf8ponw said:
jc986":3hf8ponw said:

Ok cool. Yeah I would just like to make sure everything is working properly for you, because it should be gating loop and front at once. But if you are happy, we are happy! But feel free to email us at any time if you think there is an issue. We want to take care of it if there is an issue!

my zuul does not work, did for a short period of time. Sent email months ago, but no response. What is the warranty. Where to send it for repairs?

mhenson42":2jzrlaa3 said:
Your point is taken, but It’s not gating the input signal before it hits the amp, which is why you might need 2... and that’s what we’re talking about... gating the input signal before the amp

:yes: Someone gets it. :rock:

tortilliggah":20vyeklp said:
engage757":20vyeklp said:
jc986":20vyeklp said:

Ok cool. Yeah I would just like to make sure everything is working properly for you, because it should be gating loop and front at once. But if you are happy, we are happy! But feel free to email us at any time if you think there is an issue. We want to take care of it if there is an issue!

my zuul does not work, did for a short period of time. Sent email months ago, but no response. What is the warranty. Where to send it for repairs?

I thought one of mine wasn’t working right. I didn’t realize It had a dead battery in it when I plugged it in. Once I took the dead battery out it worked fine.

Back