Peavey 6505 + sitty titty Marshall TV Cab

Is this straight in no boost? It’s crazy tight!

I run my 6505 into a mix of v30s and 75s, but might have to switch to GBs. Do the GBs tame the fizziness at lower volumes (that’s my biggest complaint with the 6505)?

Ricky Rockhardo":1h45cise said:

I run my 6505 into a mix of v30s and 75s, but might have to switch to GBs. Do the GBs tame the fizziness at lower volumes (that’s my biggest complaint with the 6505)?

No boost! I'm also using a Dimarzio Dominion which is tighter than a tube screamer shoved sideways up a midget's ass.

I really do like GBs with the 6505 + at lower volumes. At higher volumes this speaker/amp combo gets ragged IMO.

Tronald Dump":38nlw7xs said:
Ricky Rockhardo":38nlw7xs said:

No boost! I'm also using a Dimarzio Dominion which is tighter than a tube screamer shoved sideways up a midget's ass.

I really do like GBs with the 6505 + at lower volumes. At higher volumes this speaker/amp combo gets ragged IMO.

This is good to know!

It does seem that the 6505 favors Dimarzios for some reason. My Ibby with a ToneZone and Air Norton sounds sooo much better
than my LP Custom with Motor City Solutions. May have to swap those out.

Tronald Dump":3rfj4us9 said:
misterspockyall":3rfj4us9 said:
Chugga machines. Loving my 5150 combo atm :)

5150 combo is king!

:cheers:

Yes indeed. Just got it worked through at the shop and it sounds better than I ever remembered any of mine sounding. Rolled back volume cleans are very good and the reverb sits nicely. I’m shocked.

Nice. Love my 6505 & 6505+. Been through a ton of "better" amps but ended up flipping everything else and going back to these.

Fun fact..my 6505 is a newer Chinese version and it sounds better than any of the American made 6505 or 5150's I've had in the past. Stock bias is 32.6ma with no bias mod, so that definitely has something to do with it.

i got rid of my 5150 block letter recently. mainly because i made out well on the deal. i gotta snipe up a cheap 6505 to replace it soon though.

never ran it through greenbacks though. mine loved celestion k100/v30 mix.

misterspockyall":13dt4pxr said:
Tronald Dump":13dt4pxr said:
misterspockyall":13dt4pxr said:
Chugga machines. Loving my 5150 combo atm :)

5150 combo is king!

Yes indeed. Just got it worked through at the shop and it sounds better than I ever remembered any of mine sounding. Rolled back volume cleans are very good and the reverb sits nicely. I’m shocked.

I had the 2x12 combo about 10 years ago and like a fool I let it go. The next time my local shop gets one in I'm gonna snag it!

swamptrashstompboxes":b2rh5876 said:
i got rid of my 5150 block letter recently. mainly because i made out well on the deal. i gotta snipe up a cheap 6505 to replace it soon though.

Greenbacks are fun but I prefer my 6505+ with Celestion G12k85s, which are the same as the k100s.

:yes:

jc986":38kwi0tt said:
Nice. Love my 6505 & 6505+. Been through a ton of "better" amps but ended up flipping everything else and going back to these.

Fun fact..my 6505 is a newer Chinese version and it sounds better than any of the American made 6505 or 5150's I've had in the past. Stock bias is 32.6ma with no bias mod, so that definitely has something to do with it.

Interesting! It's been a few years since I checked the bias on mine. I plan to to retube it with an integrated quad of 6L6s and KT66s as outlined on the eurotubes site.

Tronald Dump":1hslbref said:
swamptrashstompboxes":1hslbref said:

Greenbacks are fun but I prefer my 6505+ with Celestion G12k85s, which are the same as the k100s.

:yes:

I have both k85's and k100's. Could have been either. I have a lot of cabs.

jc986":1bi6cj9v said:

It's comments like that make me REALLY want to own a 6505+.

MetalHeadMike":uovo78ed said:
jc986":uovo78ed said:

Make it happen!

MetalHeadMike":170d05z2 said:
jc986":170d05z2 said:

I found my 6505+ locally on Craigslist for $250. There are some sweet deals on these since the used market is so saturated.

MetalHeadMike":2dpfases said:
jc986":2dpfases said:

All my posts saying everyone should own one are low key aimed at you lol

MetalHeadMike":24521ajs said:
jc986":24521ajs said:

Couldn’t be happier with my 6505. With just a little volume it kills any of my previous amps (JVM, Mark V, Splawn Nitro, Orange Rockerverb).

I think the fact that it was half of the cost of any other amp makes it sound even better!

swamptrashstompboxes":1elf1j50 said:
My Nitro destroyed the 5150. Is yours KT88's? Mine tore apart the block letter.

It was EL34 based. My two biggest issues with the Nitro were: (1) it seemed to be awfully finicky to speaker and cab choice, and (2) it was a bit of a one trick pony.

I may be in the minority here, but I think the 6505 has more tonal variety. Also, it seems to be more forgiving in terms of speaker/cab selection. I thought v30s were king, but the vids above suggest otherwise.

I played a Comp a while back and that really made me want a Comp or QR.

Back