Tonal issue need some help please

BrentSSL

So I have a Rectoverb head version 1 I'm using a Schecter stealth with Duncan design distortions and a Avatar 2x12 with v30s. I have a sovtek in the v1 position and two Mesa 12ax7s in v2 and v3 along with another sovtek in the v5 position. I'm getting decent Mesa sound but it gets very stiff or sterile sounding on the modern setting. Is that the amp my preamp tubes pickups? When I first got it the amp did not sound stiff and raspy like the single rectifier I had tried previously. Sounds decent in the vintage setting but I'm trying to get a little more punch without boosting the amp.

first, replace the duncan designed pickups.

everything else is fine.

personally i would try a tung sol in v1 if you have one around. i am liking them more and more in V1, i put one there in my nomad and love it. i will have to see what i have in my tremoverb. however the rectoverb and tremoverb are voiced slightly different.

Yeah. Not a bummer at all. Not overly expensive and a quick job if you are able to solder, if not, you should learn anyways!

1. The duncan designeds are awful, flat, raspy pups.
2. I never met a recto that didnt love a boost.

I seriously doubt its anything related to tubes. All your gear should be great, though the Duncan Design pickups I've used are not the best (a bit hot and mushy?), but they have been usable.

How new is the Avatar cab with the V30s? A few hours of very loud playing can loosen up some V30s, in my experience. I was surprised, to be honest. I thought "speaker break in" was just Internet silliness, but I tried it when I bought a brand new Mesa 2x12 and was shocked when it seemed to be a real thing. I just spent a few 30 minute sessions playing incredibly loud clean tones through the cab and it really sounded better. Warmer and less stiff.

The other thing with Rectos is dialing them in. It sounds like you have some experience with them, but I always seem to follow the same path. I start out thinking its super fizzy so I try to cut the presence down down down and tinker with the amp. But Rectos seem much more natural sounding if you can keep the presence around noon. It's like eventually my ears adjust to the amp, and I end up with the treble and presence up fairly high, and the amp is nice and tight and thick and growly sounding as long as the preamp gain is kept in check. If you need more gain than the amp will let you dial up (without getting fizzy), then it's time to boost or switch to EMGs.

mchn13":houcjrfy said:
1. The duncan designeds are awful, flat, raspy pups.
2. I never met a recto that didnt love a boost.

Very true with the boost. I like my timmy for that.

Well I have Duncan design distortions in all my guitars so it's time to switch any pickup suggestions? Also the Avatar cab is pretty old so I believe the speakers are well broken in.

The Duncan Designed pickups aren't that bad really. Shaun Morgan of Seether has used Duncan Designed HB-102Bs for years live and in the studio. I'm not a huge Seether fan, but they have pretty solid tone, and use Rectos. I think you just need to work with the settings a bit. Rectos can made to sound bad pretty easily since all the EQ is interactive.

Also, what type of volume levels are you playing at? Recto's usually come alive when they are really loud. I've never been happy with lower volume tones coming from a Rectifier.

BrentSSL":2xn79qz0 said:
Well I have Duncan design distortions in all my guitars so it's time to switch any pickup suggestions? Also the Avatar cab is pretty old so I believe the speakers are well broken in.

It depends on what you are looking for and what you are willing to spend. The SD JB/59 set is very common. The jazz is a nice pickup also. I don't know what you are looking for, but SD black winters are solid. Then there are active options. But we need to know what you want to sound like.

Yeah, how do you have the Recto set? If you’re not using the loop, try the hard bypass. I always thought the Recto sounded better that way. Smoother.

swamptrashstompboxes":1hgqncpw said:
BrentSSL":1hgqncpw said:

It depends on what you are looking for and what you are willing to spend. The SD JB/59 set is very common. The jazz is a nice pickup also. I don't know what you are looking for, but SD black winters are solid. Then there are active options. But we need to know what you want to sound like.

I play mostly rock and metal I would like an all around pick up the in kinda lacks imho was considering the x2n or emgs possibly

cardinal":3pm97oa3 said:
Yeah, how do you have the Recto set? If you’re not using the loop, try the hard bypass. I always thought the Recto sounded better that way. Smoother.

I don't think the Rectoverb has a hard bypass I know the duals do I'll double check

jc986":2tzwx3ah said:
The Duncan Designed pickups aren't that bad really. Shaun Morgan of Seether has used Duncan Designed HB-102Bs for years live and in the studio. I'm not a huge Seether fan, but they have pretty solid tone, and use Rectos. I think you just need to work with the settings a bit. Rectos can made to sound bad pretty easily since all the EQ is interactive.

Also, what type of volume levels are you playing at? Recto's usually come alive when they are really loud. I've never been happy with lower volume tones coming from a Rectifier.

Playing around 11 lol jk I notice it at all levels mostly when I turn up and don't notice it so much on vintage setting

I will just echo what most everyone else has already said.

I have a similar set up with my Single Rec Rectoverb, Schecter C1+, V30s (in a Mesa 4x12), play rock and metal.

Big difference is I swapped out the duncan designed stuff for proper SD Custom Custom TB11 and a '59 set up. I definitely did not buy the guitar because of the pickups it had. I'd have to say the X2 and/or EMGs might be a bit too far in the other direction - at least for me. I'd keep it in the passive Custom/Custom Custom/ALt8 kind of realm.

Other difference is I also boost mine :D

I grabbed a Tung Sol and a Groove Tube 12AX7 to mess around with but pretty happy with JJs all around. Running Mullard EL34s right now too IIRC.

I'd say it needs volume but not like my Quick Rod does. I had to look at my settings because I couldn't remember and what I have now is Gain around 12 noon. Channel vol and Master Output vol around 10 am and Pres/Bass/Mid/Treb were all at 1pm LOL. Basically the 666 EQ :yes:

Try these settings with a boost on modern:

Channel 3 - Modern
Presence - 3.5/10
Gain - 6/10
Bass - 10/10
Mid - 4/10
Treble - 6/10

Without a boost back off on the bass and up the mids a bit.

jc986":3lr1o0wa said:

Channel 3 - Modern
Presence - 3.5/10
Gain - 6/10
Bass - 10/10
Mid - 4/10
Treble - 6/10

Ok dumb question but 10 is all the way up

BrentSSL":x2gwi0tz said:
jc986":x2gwi0tz said:

Channel 3 - Modern
Presence - 3.5/10
Gain - 6/10
Bass - 10/10
Mid - 4/10
Treble - 6/10

Yep, it’s really not as much as you think, especially if you have a boost that cuts a bit of low end. If it seems overwhelming at 10, leave it and increase treble or miss a bit to compensate. The Mesa tone stack is filtered in such a way that the higher the treble and mids are up, the less total bass is available. So the bass value fluctuates as you adjust the treble and mid even if you don’t touch the bass.

jc986":iboj7wts said:
BrentSSL":iboj7wts said:
jc986":iboj7wts said:

Channel 3 - Modern
Presence - 3.5/10
Gain - 6/10
Bass - 10/10
Mid - 4/10
Treble - 6/10

Yep, it’s really not as much as you think, especially if you have a boost that cuts a bit of low end. If it seems overwhelming at 10, leave it and increase treble or miss a bit to compensate. The Mesa tone stack is filtered in such a way that the higher the treble and mids are up, the less total bass is available. So the bass value fluctuates as you adjust the treble and mid even if you don’t touch the bass.

You just blew my mind lol

Back