Egnater Mega gain/Mega drive mod.

1meanplexi

Hi crew,

Anyone familiar with this mod? I came across a clip (Modded JCM 800) on YT and man....it sounds ferocious.

PAULYC2":16311f6i said:
I love mine.

The guy in the clip showed one input that was all stock. Sounded mean and pissed like the 800 does. But wow! When he went into that Mega input. The tone just exploded.

Yes, the Low jack becomes the stock high, and the High has a tube stage added in for about 26db more gain. It can be combined with other mods like Bruce's tube loop, low end density, output tube changes and a Jose style master. The MegaDrive was designed to replicate having an SD-1 in front of the amp. Works on JMPs too. I currently have a JCM 800 1X12 combo with Bruce for all of the above, and my 2203 was done by Bruce YEARS ago. It's WAY more quiet that using a pedal also.

PAULYC2":26sueoau said:
Yes, the Low jack becomes the stock high, and the High has a tube stage added in for about 26db more gain. It can be combined with other mods like Bruce's tube loop, low end density, output tube changes and a Jose style master. The MegaDrive was designed to replicate having an SD-1 in front of the amp. Works on JMPs too. I currently have a JCM 800 1X12 combo with Bruce for all of the above, and my 2203 was done by Bruce YEARS ago. It's WAY more quiet that using a pedal also.

Absolutely. I believe the one I saw on YT (for sale on Reverb I think) has no loop and barley had a noise floor. To your point, as opposed to hitting the front end with an SD-1 while sounds great can still ad a ton of noise.

That's what I always found when doing it that way, which is funny because I read about the mod back in '95 in Guitar Player magazine and sent an amp in immediately, but didn't find out until recently that it was designed from the start to replicate what I was (at the time) already using, but better (lower noise and no batteries). Like I said, I LOVE mine. Great amp.

Back